PDA

View Full Version : Google Maps does not Pinpoint my location anymore

team_NOOB
20th December 2008, 11:45 AM
Hey all, was hoping someone would be able to shed some light on my situation.

I can't remember exactly when it happened, but it seems that the Google Maps app on the iPhone will not pinpoint my exact location.

I've got full bars of 3G
I'm with Optus
It's a sunny day/next to window
I've been able to pinpoint my location in the same position I'm in now..
I work in the city (Sydney) and it still doesn't pinpoint my location.

So I can't see any other viable reason except that something has changed within the firmware (mines not hacked or anything).

Has anyone else experienced the same sort of issues?

It gets down to this point then hangs.. if I move the map to around to another suburb the map loads very quick, just doesn't pinpoint anything.

http://i40.tinypic.com/6tofb6.png

Thanks
Ben

decryption
20th December 2008, 11:56 AM
Reboot your iPhone (turn it off by holding down the power button, sliding the slider, waiting until the screen turns off and then turn it on again).
And make sure you're using 2.2
This was a bug in earlier versions of the 3G iPhone, where it would get stuck when using GPS.

team_NOOB
20th December 2008, 12:06 PM
Hey mate, thanks for the quick reply.. tried it.. still hanging. Exactly as shown in the screenshot :(

wilko
20th December 2008, 12:46 PM
It will only pinpoint down to a certain scale as it is not 100% accurate. once you zoom in to much the locator gets bigger.

team_NOOB
20th December 2008, 01:54 PM
It will only pinpoint down to a certain scale as it is not 100% accurate. once you zoom in to much the locator gets bigger.

Sorry but that is not true. I have successfully had google maps drop the pin right on my house.

Now it's not even getting close to street level.

Exocet
20th December 2008, 04:44 PM

That is not true. If you are standing with a direct line of sight to the sky after a short wait (a wait which is shortened thanks to A-GPS), it will pinpoint you exactly.

iCameron
20th December 2008, 05:03 PM
Sorry but that is not true. I have successfully had google maps drop the pin right on my house.

Now it's not even getting close to street level.

Maybe the Skyhook node, is no longer available in your area? Or, possibly the tower is not reporting enough information?

I'd vote for Skyhook, possibly the WIFI router that you were using to drop the pin of your house is dead, or no longer available?

SKYHOOK Wireless: How It Works > Overview (http://www.skyhookwireless.com/howitworks/)

It most likely doesnt have that WIFI aspect so it isnt able to be as accurate.

(all guesses!)

krolly
20th December 2008, 05:11 PM
Last week I couldn't get Street View on a friend's iMac. It's working fine on the pc laptop I'm on at the moment though. I just tested it.

team_NOOB
20th December 2008, 06:15 PM
Thanks for the replies.

Nothing seems to be working though

I just saw a mate who's on the same plan as me (optus) we were driving, put our phones side by side, his worked and mine didn't :(

Might have to restore now..

The one
26th December 2008, 02:48 AM
I signed up for this forum just to answer your question. I had this problem too what you need to do is a soft reset. Do this by holding the top power button and the front return button. You will see the power off come up just ignore is and keep holding it till you see an apple. It takes about a minute to turn back on and there you go it should work. Hope I got it to you before you reset your phone.

kyte
26th December 2008, 06:10 AM
I'm also voting for SKYHOOK being not available, down or whatever. Google maps used to be able pinpoint my house with relative accuracy... ie within a few metres. For the past few weeks its been kilometres off... seriously off by probably 20km as the crow flies. I don't have a 3G phone, just the standard first gen.