PDA

View Full Version : Crashing Hard Drive and Saving as much as I can..

emzzzz
19th December 2008, 11:51 PM
Just a breif description of what has happened.

Mac freeze, so I restarted only to find the dreaded flashing folder with the ? on it.

I've read a million articles on the net about this, but as i'm no computer wizz, half the time I have no idea what they are talking about.

I've tried a few things. I've just tried that disk repair/verify disk from the disc utilities while i've got the mac disc in the computer. It comes up with the message..

Error : The underlying task reported failure on exit.

1 volume could not be repaired because of an error.

Now I presume this is bad. I've read that I can try reinstalling the softwear/operating system, but I want to know how to do that without deleting anything I shouldn't?

Or if I do have to delete, is there a way I can try save as much stuff as possible?

Is there any one that could give me some info, or pointers? I will forever be greatful.

leon
20th December 2008, 06:30 AM
1) DON'T attempt to reinstall the OS. This will only end up in you losing data.
2) Sounds to me like your HDD just died - does it make any clunking noises when turned on?
3) If you have access to another mac, try putting your busted mac into FireWire target disk mode (hold down the t key during boot until the screen turns blue and a yellow FireWire symbol bounces on the screen). Your computer will then act as an external drive. If your HDD isnt busted, u should be able to get data off it and onto the other mac via a FireWire cable.

Good luck. If this is confusing, just google FireWire target disk mode. I'm on an iPhone so can't copy and paste any links.

emzzzz
20th December 2008, 08:43 AM
hey, thanks.

It doesn't make a clunking sound at all so maybe there's still some hope.

I'll try the mac to mac thing later after work once I have found another mac to use, and I will let you know how I go.

Thanks