PDA

View Full Version : Recommended VOIP apps for iPhone

mechcon
18th December 2008, 09:42 PM
So I'm going to the US in a couple of weeks, and I want to be able to call back home to talk to friends/whatnot. What do you guys recommend as a good VOIP app to call out? I intend to just use WiFi too.

Would love to know what's out and recommended :)

Cheers

Galumay
18th December 2008, 09:52 PM
i have the pennytel one, havent used it much to be honest so could not give a real recommendation - but at least its an australian, legit iPhone app!

QueenOfSwords
18th December 2008, 10:03 PM
Fring works fine too. I use Skype credit if I'm calling another phone.

I occasionally use my iPhone as a cordless phone :D

decryption
18th December 2008, 10:07 PM
They all suck :(
(I have tried them all).
Just use Skype on yer Mac and a USB headset.

This also raises the question - where is Skype for iPhone!?

mechcon
18th December 2008, 10:24 PM
Good question, I wish there was skype for the iPhone.. Yeah I decided on using Fring and just using the Skype component on that.. oh wait Instant messaging app.. that'll be for another thread :)

Galumay
19th December 2008, 06:18 AM
fring is really sucky because of the european servers, as far as IM goes, i use AIM which works well with iChat.

BoxDog
20th December 2008, 06:49 PM
The Pennytel app is actually not too bad, I've used it a bit lately to turn my iPhone into a cordless phone. It has its flaws - but is pretty reliable and easy to use. So they have my vote!

matthew858
20th December 2008, 07:28 PM
I have Fring, and have had it the day it was released on the US iTunes store, although I have never had to use it. I have played around with the interface of both PennyTel and Fring, and Fring is much easier to use.