PDA

View Full Version : On-line Video Tutorials

Luvlimum
18th December 2008, 02:51 PM
I know there are a few of these around, but can anyone recommend a good one where I can pay a yearly premium and download/watch as many tutorials on Mac related products as I want?

I would like to have access to a variety of different products, not just one. I would also like to know that the tutorials cover basic, intermediate and Advanced features of a product, not just a select few.

I don't want much - really! LOL :cool:

Cheers
T

Cybix
18th December 2008, 02:54 PM
Wouldn't that be cool? I know I've started doing some video's on leopardtricks.com basically in an attempt to "show" readers how to perform a task or trick (all leopard related).

If you keep your eye on the mactalk family of blogs you are bound to start to see some video reviews/howto's, etc.

Apple's own web site have a heap of tutorials of their apps like all the iLife stuff, Aperture, even pro apps.

youtube has a lot of tutorial stuff if you look hard enough

ajbeardy
18th December 2008, 02:55 PM
Mac Tutorials : ScreenCastsOnline (http://www.screencastsonline.com) is excellent.

leon
18th December 2008, 02:57 PM
Expensive but there is Learning @ Your Own PaceŽ - lynda.com (http://lynda.com/)

Also check out the podcast section of iTunes. There are a couple of free vodcasts covering a variety of topics.

glenmorrow
18th December 2008, 03:08 PM
Hi all,
I have found this one to be good. It's a subscription one and is about $30 pm, but you get Mac OSX, Pro Tools, Final Cut, Photoshop, iMovie, Office apps, and heaps of other stuff.

It's Online software tutorials, training CDs, Photoshop Tutorials, Dreamweaver Tutorials, Apple Tutorials from vtc.com (http://www.vtc.com/) and well worth a look I think.

Glen

Luvlimum
18th December 2008, 03:57 PM
glenmorrow - I REALLY do like this site and think it is a bit cheaper than the others, but the thing that really stinks is the Aussie dollar is so bloody low right now that the $250/yearly price will cost us $354.75 today!!!!

there are a number of things I want to purchase/download, but they are all in USD and once you convert them, they are just completely unaffordable, however, one strange thing ... If I were to purchase Filemaker Pro 9 from a reputable software site in the US, it would cost me $50 less after the conversion than it will to purchase it at Next Byte! Why do we have to overprice everything here?

Anyway, I am waiting for the dollar to go up (please Lord!). It has gone up 10c in the past week. Fingers crossed this will continue.

Cheers
T

PS - What a pitty you cannot download the tutorials or capture them in some way as I am the kind of person who really does need to go back to them a few times.

ClockWork
18th December 2008, 04:04 PM
You probably can save them.

If you pay for QuickTime, up to QuickTime Pro, through Apple - and control-click on those QuickTime Videos, a pop-up window will appear with: Save as QuickTime Movie... highlighted in black.

You can then download and save it to your iMac.

:)

jrad
18th December 2008, 04:06 PM
+1 for Screencastsonline.

ClockWork
18th December 2008, 04:13 PM
+1 for Screencastsonline.

Yep - Don McAllister is very good. Had a phone conversation with him once, and he kindly took time out of his schedule to answer some questions I had.

Excellent teacher.

glenmorrow
18th December 2008, 04:35 PM
The subscription is expensive - it's a pitty you can't go into it with a few people and share a login! I really liked VTC when I used it but am always on the lookout for new suggestions.

Glen

ClockWork
18th December 2008, 04:42 PM
I remember viewing a VTC Training Disc for Mac OS X 10.4, and the problem was, they used different teachers, and not all of them were good.

This one fellow, teaching the fundamental basics of OS X 10.4, to my amazement, started the tutorial with... crap like the BSD System and Core Services and a whole bunch of highly technical under-the-hood type stuff, and I thought: Shit! What first time user or basic switcher is gonna understand this??

Don McAllister is a one-man show, and he's consistently excellent... ergo - stick with the teacher you like best.

:)

Luvlimum
18th December 2008, 06:27 PM
All of you are so awesome! So now at the last tally, I am up for $500 for Filemaker 9, $?? for Quick Time Pro! LOL! When does it ever stop in the world of Macs? I still need to purchase some specific software to suit my needs from the US but the dollar sucks big time.

Is screencasts an Australian site? Or does that also charge in USD? I am sure the guy sounded Aussie? At the moment they have a half price for 6 months thing going. $57/6 months. I think you can actually download those tutorials? Does anyone know for sure?

T

I have just done a search and there appear to be NO FILEMAKER tutorials on there - no good to me. I need them more than anything else :mad:

ajbeardy
18th December 2008, 06:36 PM
He charges in $US dollars (based in the UK). You should be able to get the DVD of past screencasts when you subscribe as well. Some good old ones to look at.

ClockWork
18th December 2008, 06:47 PM
You never bleedin' mentioned you were after Filemaker Pro tutorials Mum!

Go with VTC (http://www.vtc.com/products/FileMaker-Pro-9-Advanced-Tutorials.htm) then...

sorry our telepathic implants on what you wanted to learn weren't tuned in today...

=P

Luvlimum
18th December 2008, 09:33 PM
aaaah - hence the reason you wanted to strangle me ... in the nicest possible way of course! Sorry Oren :rolleyes: