PDA

View Full Version : Fuzzy iPhone

back2mac
17th December 2008, 04:50 PM
Is it 'normal' to have quite poor hearing quality in my brand new iPhone?

chrsha01
17th December 2008, 04:56 PM
Have you tried the usual things? A Reset? A Restore?

back2mac
17th December 2008, 05:30 PM
I am VERY new to iPhones [today actually].
How do I reset or restore?

Thank you for your reply.

chrsha01
17th December 2008, 05:31 PM
1) You can reset the iPhone by holding down the 'Home' button (the button below the screen) and 'Sleep' button (button at the top) simultaneously for about 5 seconds or so. The screen will then go black and you see a a white Apple logo appear.

2) You can restore the iPhone by going into iTunes > iPhone Panel > Click Restore

Try doing the reset first. :)

team_NOOB
17th December 2008, 05:44 PM
did u buy it today?

this is probably going to sound like an insult but its not.. make sure the plastic that comes on the face of the iphone has been removed, as it covers the ear speaker.

a guy at work totally missed it and said he had poor sound until he saw the plastic

gl

chrsha01
17th December 2008, 05:45 PM
And also, make sure you don't put your finger over the speaker. Very easy to do. :)

back2mac
17th December 2008, 06:40 PM
No insults taken.

Yes - I did receive it today.

I think I have removed the plastic but will check again.
If I reset - I won't lose any data [Contacts] will I?

chrsha01
17th December 2008, 06:41 PM
If I reset - I won't lose any data [Contacts] will I?

A reset won't delete anything, if you restore the iPhone be prepared for the iPhone to be wiped completely.

battye
17th December 2008, 10:53 PM
Apparently 3G is supposed to have better voice quality than GPRS (can anyone confirm this? I have never noticed a difference myself) so if you aren't on 3G you could look into that.

drewbles
17th December 2008, 11:30 PM
Apparently 3G is supposed to have better voice quality than GPRS (can anyone confirm this? I have never noticed a difference myself) so if you aren't on 3G you could look into that.

3G is UMTS. 2G is GSM. Call quality is comparable. No real difference. 3G has the benefit of being designed from the ground-up with Data use in mind, whereas GPRS on a 2G network never really was, it was more an afterthought as it's TDM (Time Division Multiplexing) as opposed to HSDPA (High Speed Data Packet Access).

You won't notice any real difference between GSM and 3G for call quality, where reception is good. 3G usually has the same quality voice at low reception levels as it does at high levels, whereas GSM was crappy at low levels, and fine at high ones :)