PDA

View Full Version : MacBook obsolete?

aurelian0
16th December 2008, 07:29 PM
Hi,
I'm about to buy my first Apple, and I'd like it to be a second-hand one because of the price.
What about a 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM Macbook (one year and a half old)? Will it become obsolete soon? I mean, I just have to surf the web and to save my photos... will it last some years or is it too old already?

Byrd
16th December 2008, 07:35 PM
For your purposes you could use a G3 iBook and it'd still do the job :)

The macbook you have is definately not obsolete, but I'd max out the RAM in it which is cheap (not sure about Italy though!)

Oh, and welcome to the forums!

JB

negatory
16th December 2008, 07:35 PM
A friend of mine has a MacBook which they purchased in Jan '07 and it can run CS3, Aperture etc. fine. Shows no signs of dying soon, and it's pretty reliable.

Wally
16th December 2008, 07:36 PM
It should last no worries!

Im still using a 2GHZ Intel Core Duo with 2GB of ram on Leopard.

I'd get 2GB of ram, its like $70 for two sticks.

timothy
16th December 2008, 07:37 PM
This will be a great computer for many years...

gareth
16th December 2008, 07:41 PM
Core 2 duo is fine, still has a few years left.

Only the ram you will need to upgrade overtime

perfect machine for your needs

leon
16th December 2008, 07:46 PM
Every week I surf the web on a 20th Anniversary Macintosh (11 years old), a G4 Cube (8 years old) and a G3 iMac (8 years old). All 3 machines are quite speedy.

Depends what you want to do with your photo's, but any Macintosh from the last 8 years will be perfectly fine for your task.

My everyday at work computer is a 2.25 year old Macbook Core Duo 1.83GHz with 2GB RAM and an upgraded 250GB HDD.
This machine has taken everything I have thrown at it. The only thing it struggled with was iMovie when I uploaded 100GB of HD footage from my HV20 after my honeymoon.

I'd say you have at least 5 years of usage from the machine you mention.

NeoRicen
16th December 2008, 07:52 PM
Any Intel Mac won't be obsolete for a while, especially if the web and saving photos is all you want to do.

sageco
16th December 2008, 08:04 PM
Its fine, as was stated, all you really need is more RAM?

Galumay
16th December 2008, 08:10 PM
Any Intel Mac won't be obsolete for a while, especially if the web and saving photos is all you want to do.

any PPC mac wont be obsolete for a long while for web browsing and saving photos!