PDA

View Full Version : 10.5.6 Breaks DFU Mode for iPhone

decryption
16th December 2008, 11:41 AM
From TUAW: Mac OS X 10.5.6 update breaks DFU Mode for iPhone? - The Unofficial Apple Weblog (TUAW) (http://www.tuaw.com/2008/12/15/mac-os-x-10-5-6-update-breaks-dfu-mode-for-iphone/)

Ouch. Will wait for some Dev Team news though, will be interesting to see if it's something Apple has done on purpose, or if it's not so nefarious.

gehenna
16th December 2008, 12:09 PM
Only really an issue for phones new to jailbreaking. existing jailbroken phones can update the firmware without needing dfu mode.

tonyberinson
16th December 2008, 12:12 PM
So if u use pwnage on an already jailbroken phone ie. 2.1 to 2.2 - then when 2.3 comes out - you wont need DFU?

Galumay
16th December 2008, 12:39 PM
well quickpawn still requires DFU mode.

damn, i upgraded all my machines this morning - i usually only do one first and wait & watch for complications.

gehenna
16th December 2008, 12:45 PM
oh right, i only ever use pwnagetool. i havent needed to dfu since i did my first jailbreak back on 1.1.4

W9cae
16th December 2008, 01:29 PM
Before you all scream MURDER facts need to be sorted. This whole issue is with the new USB kernal. Not something Apple has done intentionally. Apple needs DFU mode as much as the jail-breakers. But something in the updated kernal is preventing. I have been told if you plug the iPhone into a USB hub the issue disappears and DFU mode is possible.

carlow1
19th December 2008, 02:20 PM
Gizmodo has posted a guide on how to enable DFU jailbreak with OS X 10.5.6 update.

Link here on Gizmodo (http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2008/12/how_to_reenable_unlock_and_jailbreak_in_mac_os_x_1 056-2.html#more)

WoWTopia
19th December 2008, 03:19 PM
Gizmodo has posted a guide on how to enable DFU jailbreak with OS X 10.5.6 update.

Link here on Gizmodo (http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2008/12/how_to_reenable_unlock_and_jailbreak_in_mac_os_x_1 056-2.html#more)

and Jailbreaking lives on

MacRobbo
19th December 2008, 09:51 PM
Is that even safe though?

Supblek
29th December 2008, 02:46 PM
Ive been reading about problems with iphone users that have recently updated to 10.5.6. Esp with DFU mode..

I'll hold out til I find out a little more about the update. Dont wanna get caught out..

the_doctor
29th December 2008, 07:16 PM
I just want to confirm that 10.5.6 does break the ability to enter DFU mode via the Mac USB ports and that using a USB hub is the great work around.

I was jailbreaking an iPhone 2G for my sister's boyfriend last night and forgot about this issue. I used QuickPwn to Jailbreak and whilst entering DFU mode the program just hung there. I then remembered this issue and unplugged from the USB port on the Mac and plugged it into a USB hub and it stopped hanging and continued the process of Jailbreaking without having to restarted the whole process.

I know that this theory work around has already been proven but just wanted to add my voice and experience to those who are not sure.

tazgtz
29th December 2008, 10:27 PM
what if my phone is already jailbroken, I guess this does not apply to me?

lama323
30th December 2008, 01:20 PM

Has anyone done this?

ChrisG
30th December 2008, 02:00 PM
I'm trying to do it, but when I get to the last step where you enter the password it crashes. It suck's because I just updated to 10.5.6 last week not thinking I would need to do DFU mode in my iPhone, but because Cydia kept crashing I decided to restore because there where some necessary files that I needed.

Sebastianmonty
13th March 2009, 04:02 PM
Yeah chrisg, same problem here. Now my mouse and keyboard aren't working either. I havent got any dialogue boxes pop up. All I have is just a screwed iPhone and a screwed iMac.

LennyX
13th March 2009, 04:19 PM
Yeah chrisg, same problem here. Now my mouse and keyboard aren't working either. I havent got any dialogue boxes pop up. All I have is just a screwed iPhone and a screwed iMac.

Yeah my keyboard & mouse stopped working too. I had to use screen sharing from another Mac to reinstall the original 10.5.6 IOUSB family things. Other than that I think I'd be reformatting...

Sebastianmonty
13th March 2009, 04:43 PM
I got it to work. I use the application teleport and have 2 iMacs side by side. So all I did was used the left mac's mouse and kb to control the right mac. Replace the things in the correct files and then reboot. It didn't return function though. So i ran the script again and it worked this time.
Still, I wish I had a USB hub but not gonna buy one when I dont need them. Thanks for the response anyway LennyX