PDA

View Full Version : iPhone Nano rumour (yawn)

Rant
15th December 2008, 11:39 PM
You've probably all read the rumour, so it's no surprise. But only hours after I posted a question to MacRumors asking... so have Apple stopped all (deliberate) leaks to maximise sales this Christmas or are the rumour sites doing Apple's bidding?

This appears (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=616982) [not that I really think I called their bluff]

Another iPhone gateway drug?

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2008/12/15/061816-iPhone-9_425.jpg

Sure Pete's lips are saved (maybe). But even Mac Rumors doesn't think much of the track record (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=616982) of the originator of the rumour.

The 'idea' of the iPhone Nano, 'just a phone and an iPod, no internet', has some appeal, except it would probably mean no Apps too, as they're all apparently designed to the current screen dimensions (not that that's stopped Apple in the past).

There were small touch screens around just before the iPhone 3G launch, rumoured to be for an iPhone Nano.

Now that the iPod Nano is almost as light as a Shuffle, I'd rather see Apple drop the Shuffle, sell the current Nano as the Shuffle (at the Shuffle price) and bring out a Touch Nano this size. but that sort of stuff happens September, not January.

What do you think? Pete saved? Or 'wake me after the announcement'?

ZacDavies
16th December 2008, 03:10 AM
I don't think it is an iPhone nano

I think it's an iPod touch nano

srzly

The_Hawk
16th December 2008, 05:57 AM
iPhone - internet = fail.

I can sort of see the point, but when pretty much all the hardware would have to be built into it for phone & ipod functionality, why cripple it?

rickyd
16th December 2008, 10:26 AM
I don't get it...why would Apple screw with iPhone developers by adding a device with another screen size? Having the same sized screen makes it easier to develop/design for.

Peter Wells
16th December 2008, 10:34 AM
it could have the same resolution of the iphone, just in a smaller screen size. the nano chubby had the same resolution as the ipod with video, just with a smaller screen. sure, that would make apps a little weirder between the two, but hey, it could be done.

mitty
16th December 2008, 10:37 AM
There has to be a point of diminishing returns re the onscreen keyboard and ease of use. I doubt very much that apple would go down the stylus route (though that'd give them something else to sell as an accessory at an exorbitant price).

That iphone nano image reminds me very much of the Imate JAM I once owned (and about the same size probably). Thinking back I don't know how I put up with that thing for as long as I did.

bartron
16th December 2008, 10:39 AM
I don't get it...why would Apple screw with iPhone developers by adding a device with another screen size? Having the same sized screen makes it easier to develop/design for.

They already have different sized screen in the iPod classic. If they were to allow apps on an iPhone nano (if it existed) then it would surely be trivial to differentiate the devices at build time.

Personally I think there would be a market for a smaller iPhone with phone, address and iPod functions and not much else....no wireless and no internet beyond gprs (email may be a possibility)....basically an ipod nano that can make calls.

Rant
16th December 2008, 11:15 AM
Personally I think there would be a market for a smaller iPhone with phone, address and iPod functions and not much else....no wireless and no internet beyond gprs (email may be a possibility)....basically an ipod nano that can make calls.

I think that would be their biggest seller.

Everyone wants an iPod, everyone wants a phone. Nobody wants to carry 2 devices.

Address & Calendar syncing would be the icing on the cake.

The phone would have to work better than iPhone, though. Unlock the phone & you should have favourites at the top of the screen and a number pad to dial immediately for people who think having to tap Phone to make it a phone is too much trouble.

arkenstone
16th December 2008, 11:50 AM
Pete will be pleased :)

NeoRicen
16th December 2008, 04:50 PM
Usually I'm the first to defend rumours, especially ones based on case manufacturers since that's what leaked the last iPhone, however what we're seeing here is a repeat of the whole 'blurry photo of screen running photoshop' thing.

The last couple of times (4th Gen Nano, iPhone 3G) a product has been leaked it's because case manufacturers leaked their case designs. Seeing this, this person has decided to fake a case leak to make it seem legitimate. After the 3rd Gen nano was leaked in a photo of a photoshop window with a nano in it, fakers everywhere faked images of the iPhone 3G the same way.

This could be true (I doubt it), but one image, that happens to conveniently match the way the last product was leaked, is hardly proof of anything.

NeoRicen
22nd December 2008, 10:58 PM
Interesting, XSKN has added an iPhone nano section to their website.
More Hints of an 'iPhone Nano' from Case Manufacturers - Mac Rumors (http://www.macrumors.com/2008/12/22/more-hints-of-an-iphone-nano-from-case-manufacturers/)
http://xskn.com/default.aspx?m=Styles&cid=3681

This makes the rumour much more credible. Also, MacRumors is reporting Apple's original plans for MacWorld were delayed. The lack of an iPhone nano announcement due to a delay could have been the reason Phil Schiller has taken over, as it lowers peoples expectations, even in the face of such leaks.

Rant
22nd December 2008, 11:33 PM
You'd think Apple would want an iPhone Nano for Christmas and not be announcing it just after Christmas. On the other hand, what a brilliant kick start to the new year sales if such a device were released... Apple would just power on through the economic difficulties as if they weren't even there.

There's nothing stopping [generic final Apple keynote speaker] from saying - here's something really cool, available to order today and shipping on the 29th of next month.

Jobs loves to be able to say.. and it's available today, but pre-announcing products just builds hype and speculation. I don't see that Apple loses either way. Announcing iPhone 6 months ahead didn't hurt sales. And there was plenty of buzz and anticipation for the 24" LED displays and the new in-ear buds.

As I've said elsewhere, Apple launched the new MacBooks to their own timetable and they cocked that one up (no firewire on MacBooks and ongoing build quality issues, not least of which being the much vaunted graphics chips), so they can't blame that one on Macworld.

Pete, looks like you won't be needing the Chap Stick after all.

NeoRicen
22nd December 2008, 11:38 PM
You'd think Apple would want an iPhone Nano for Christmas and not be announcing it just after Christmas. On the other hand, what a brilliant kick start to the new year sales if such a device were released... Apple would just power on through the economic difficulties as if they weren't even there.

There's nothing stopping [generic final Apple keynote speaker] from saying - here's something really cool, available to order today and shipping on the 29th of next month.

Jobs loves to be able to say.. and it's available today, but pre-announcing products just builds hype and speculation. I don't see that Apple loses either way. Announcing iPhone 6 months ahead didn't hurt sales. And there was plenty of buzz and anticipation for the 24" LED displays and the new in-ear buds.

As I've said elsewhere, Apple launched the new MacBooks to their own timetable and they cocked that one up (no firewire on MacBooks and ongoing build quality issues, not least of which being the much vaunted graphics chips), so they can't blame that one on Macworld.

Pete, looks like you won't be needing the Chap Stick after all.
So now do you see the problem with the MacWorld keynotes? :p

Carve
23rd December 2008, 01:11 AM
this would be pretty cool
and aparently the XSKN had put out the 4th gen nano and 3g iphone cases before time

i'd buy

mitty
23rd December 2008, 08:52 AM
No doubt Fulltimecasual is feeling more and more comfortable with himself at the moment :)

gareth
23rd December 2008, 11:41 AM
http://heyinternet.com/imgdump/170245-nano-20081223-124425.jpg

Peter Wells
23rd December 2008, 11:49 AM
wow, so not what i had in mind, but i'll take it. :)

timothy
23rd December 2008, 11:55 AM
People would love these things.

They would sell like iPhones...

NeoRicen
23rd December 2008, 11:58 AM
These don't seem right to me, I just can't see any iPhone nano looking exactly the same as the regular iPhone but smaller. If that image is true, why the hell would Apple bother making the regular iPhone?

decryption
23rd December 2008, 11:59 AM
You can tell that image isn't from Apple, because it uses the old 3G icon in the top bar.

leon
23rd December 2008, 12:06 PM
I can hardly hold my current iPhone. The nano would just slip through my fingers and onto concrete.

Piratbyran
23rd December 2008, 12:07 PM
The home screen button is small enough as it is.

I'm with everyone else and calling this a fake.

I'm all for the new macbook:

http://h4xr.org/1k8q

battye
23rd December 2008, 01:32 PM
Hahahaha! Where can I get the aircraft? I was unsure at first, but the floppy drive sealed the deal.

macnwindows
23rd December 2008, 03:25 PM
Life is random. Play your favourite tunes without turning on your Mac!

Rant
24th December 2008, 01:32 PM
Still more case pics - just as thick as the 3G, which is disappointing. After the thinness of the 2nd Generation Touch, I was hoping for a thinner iPhone...

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2008/12/23/122844-nanocase_425.jpg

Even MacRumors still can't believe (http://www.macrumors.com/2008/12/23/more-iphone-nano-case-design-photos/) Apple's actually going to release one, even though "the two previous case designs that were posted on XSKN did accurately predict upcoming products."

matthew858
24th December 2008, 01:39 PM
I think Apple will have to eventually release an iPhone Nano in order to keep on expaning their mobile phone business. There is really no such thing as a one size fits all of anything, so Apple would have to make a series of iPhones, like what they have done with the iPods ie. A shuffle for occasional, casual listeners, a Nano, Classic and Touch.

dolbinau
24th December 2008, 01:56 PM
so Apple would have to make a series of iPhones, like what they have done with the iPods ie. A shuffle for occasional, casual listeners, a Nano, Classic and Touch.

You think Apple would 'have' to release an 'iPhone shuffle'? lol. I don't think mobile phones work too well without screens :P.

Carve
24th December 2008, 02:20 PM
so this things going to come out?!

im actually happy

though upset that none of the apps would work. but still
if this would come out, yes there would be alot of crap on all forums
but its still another apple product that will sell. It happens all the time (from my experience on the forum) that everyone will hate it, then buy it, then like it.

wheres that f*&^stick kevin rose to put the rumor to rest?

my 2cents edited

Rant
24th December 2008, 02:42 PM
I think Apple will have to eventually release an iPhone Nano in order to keep on expaning their mobile phone business. There is really no such thing as a one size fits all of anything, so Apple would have to make a series of iPhones, like what they have done with the iPods ie. A shuffle for occasional, casual listeners, a Nano, Classic and Touch.

It's a little early to call it, but there's a few theories that iPod sales are flattening and iPhone is taking over... the new iPod, which makes sense.

Everyone wants a phone and everyone wants an iPod. Why would you buy 2 devices? And when either your iPod or phone croaks, you'll probably look at an iPhone.

Maybe 2 years time there will be various models of iPhone and a Shuffle iPod.

Carve
24th December 2008, 02:47 PM
^ yes! everyone does want a phone and a ipod. But to carry around both atm is a pain!

its why im looking at the iphone

Rant is completely right

*(only time will tell about the models of iPhone and Shuffle iPod)*

dolbinau
24th December 2008, 02:50 PM
]Maybe 2 years time there will be various models of iPhone and a Shuffle iPod.

I don't think so, I think there are a lot of people who just don't need/want to buy a phone and I think Apple would be losing a lot of business if they didn't offer a 'real' iPod. Plus think of flash memory limitations.

Piratbyran
24th December 2008, 02:51 PM

You think Apple would 'have' to release an 'iPhone shuffle'? lol. I don't think mobile phones work too well without screens :P.

iPhone Shuffle. I can see it now. Hit the home button, and it calls a person of your contacts randomly, because as you know. Life is random.

Phase
24th December 2008, 02:52 PM
The strength of the app store (one of them) is that the designers are all able to create content for the same devices, and it works flawlessly on all of them.

If the screen resolution or layout changes in any way, it's a much larger task to code for.

dolbinau
24th December 2008, 02:54 PM
The strength of the app store (one of them) is that the designers are all able to create content for the same devices, and it works flawlessly on all of them.

If the screen resolution or layout changes in any way, it's a much larger task to code for.

And if the screen resolution doesn't change the screen will be very small and hard to type on. Plus there wouldn't be much differentiation between the iPhone nano and iPhone so it almost makes the iPhone nano pointless IMO.

I think Apple need to release an <$300 USD unlocked iPhone Nano that will completely saturate the market, with cut down hardware and features (i.e no WiFI, maybe no App Store?)

But somehow I don't think they'd prevent so much possible revenue of both themselves and the developers if there were no 3rd party Apps for iPhone Nano. So again, it almost makes it pointless IMO :-/.

Carve
24th December 2008, 02:56 PM
although i think that the iphone nano will have different features

as in. Texting SMS app will be sideways, so the keypad would fit? just means it'll cut back a bit of the sms but there are smaller screens atm for texting

adamerr
24th December 2008, 04:54 PM
iPhone Shuffle. I can see it now. Hit the home button, and it calls a person of your contacts randomly, because as you know. Life is random.

ahaha :)

nice.
it would make phonesex interesting, that's for sure.

on a side note..
-GASP-

we have new emoticons.
I never noticed them...

:rockon::storm::cheers::smack::smash::fail::throw:

sorry
:o

Rant
24th December 2008, 06:30 PM

Let us not forget the debacle of Games for iPod 5G, Games for iPod Classic, Games for Nano of only a year ago...

Apple's done it a million times before. I wouldn't put it past them to do something like it again, if only to differentiate between models (can anyone say firewire?).

+1 for the iPhone Shuffle - a little serendipity goes a long way. All you do is ask the recipient to conference in the person you wanted to call in the first place, unless you dialled someone with another iPhone Shuffle, in which case, the game continues...

sighclops
24th December 2008, 06:39 PM

probably the most epic fail photoshop "attempt" i've seen in a while.

lyk srsly.

doesn't anyone else feel that a nano iteration of the iphone would just be saturating their product line-up? its like selling the current iphone without the things (app store + wireless) that make it an iphone.

shiny
30th December 2008, 09:04 AM
Did a search and could not find anything, but Vaja are taking pre-orders for iPhone nano cases:

Vaja Leather Products (http://www.vajacases.com/images/mobile/apple/iphone_nano/form_en.html)

dolbinau
30th December 2008, 09:09 AM
I almost feel like we can expect this now..hmm.

Devil
30th December 2008, 11:11 AM
Maybe the iPhone Nano runs Android?

Rant
30th December 2008, 11:52 AM
AppleInsider has a slew of Thai fakes (http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/08/12/26/iphone_nano_knockoffs_already_on_sale_in_thailand_ photos.html) to peruse

http://images.appleinsider.com/iphonenano-081226-3.jpg

http://images.appleinsider.com/iphonenano-081226-2.jpg