PDA

View Full Version : Prepaid plans with data

wmyeoh
15th December 2008, 11:07 AM
Hi all

I have a friend from Canada who's come over to live in Oz for a while. She just bought a E71 and wants to get on a prepaid plan that offers data. I have done zero research into this, but do they exist, and what's the best plan for someone who needs light to moderate use?

Appreciate the help.

mvjs
15th December 2008, 11:10 AM
Hi all

I have a friend from Canada who's come over to live in Oz for a while. She just bought a E71 and wants to get on a prepaid plan that offers data. I have done zero research into this, but do they exist, and what's the best plan for someone who needs light to moderate use?

Appreciate the help.

AFAIK, almost all pre-paid plans in Australia offer data. Most charge 2 per kilobyte, so you'd want it to be very, very, light use.

tcn33
15th December 2008, 11:20 AM
The revised Turbo Cap plans from Optus have a fair amount of data - e.g 500MB with a $50 recharge.

Optus - Personal - Calling Offers And Rates (http://personal.optus.com.au/web/ocaportal.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=Template_wRHS&FP=/personal/mobile/prepaidmobile/callingoffersandrates&site=personal)

wmyeoh
15th December 2008, 11:51 AM
Thanks tcn33 - that's exactly what I was after. Couldnt find anything that good on Vodafone.

Galumay
15th December 2008, 12:13 PM
actually the data packs with tel$tra sameg prepaid are now not too bad either - especially if you need regional coverage.

$10 = 100mb
$29 = 200mb
$59 = 750mb

30 day expiry

gawd knows how tel$tra calculate pricing - if your use is light to medium then multiple 100mb packs works out 33% cheaper than buying a 200mb pack!

you can select the long life option on your credit and achieve 12 months + expiry on it and just top up data packs as needed - just dont let them run out or you start eating your credit at their extortionate casual rate $22,000 GB or whatever it is.

battye
15th December 2008, 12:38 PM
It's unbelievable how good we've got it in Australia. To think companies like Telstra are giving half decent prepaid data packages when it is impossible to find any prepaid data in the USA, the self proclaimed best country in the world.

http://www.fbmfixed.com/imgs/australia_flag.gif :)

bennyling
15th December 2008, 12:44 PM
you can select the long life option on your credit and achieve 12 months + expiry on it and just top up data packs as needed - just dont let them run out or you start eating your credit at their extortionate casual rate $22,000 GB or whatever it is.

I get your point, but I'd still like to see you do 1GB in a month on the iPhone.

It would be possible, but difficult.

Galumay
15th December 2008, 01:00 PM
I get your point, but I'd still like to see you do 1GB in a month on the iPhone.

It would be possible, but difficult.

yeah, but you dont need to do anything like a GB, if you use your data pack and start eating credit at the casual rate you can empty your account in minutes.

i first found out about it when i went thru over $200 of credit in an hour or so!

(not on iPhone but laptop using SameG USB modem for internet access.)