PDA

View Full Version : Uh Oh, Locked Optus Iphone

Syrecx
15th December 2008, 01:31 AM
I'm in the middle of woop woop. There's no optus around here. Bought a prepaid optus iphone and now I want to unlock it. Just call Optus? or Do I have to 100% necessary bring it in physically?

I just want to unlock it legit. I do not want to do anything dodgey as if I'm not able to afford it. Thanks guys.?! AND I do not have any OPTUS sim card. So bare with me and tell me a solution. thanks!

Beau
15th December 2008, 02:42 AM
Just call. Wait around 5 business days, and restore in iTunes with any SIM card inside your iPhone. :)

mattydee
15th December 2008, 02:43 AM
Just call. Wait around 5 business days, and restore in iTunes with any SIM card inside your iPhone. :)

wouldn't he have to pay because he isn't on a plan?

Beau
15th December 2008, 02:45 AM
wouldn't he have to pay because he isn't on a plan?

Ah yes, forgot that part.

Call, pay via credit card (unless you have already added $120 of credit or more on your Optus account) the fee ($120, or $80 if you're lucky and whoever you get hasn't been updated on the new charge), then wait the 5 business days or so. :)

Syrecx
15th December 2008, 03:43 AM
5 business day???????????????????????????????????????????? tooooo long......can't they be more efficient than that? what do i have to provide them? imei no.?

Syrecx
15th December 2008, 03:45 AM
also would i have to provide details of the previous owner to unlock the stupid thing?

matthew858
15th December 2008, 07:14 AM
Optus can't just unlock it, it has to go though Apple so they don't accidentally brick it in a software update and so iTunes knows what to do with it.

Phase
15th December 2008, 07:16 AM
5 business day????????????????????????????????????????????

Don't do this.

Exocet
15th December 2008, 07:35 AM
I would have thought that if it was so super important to have this unlocked you would have researched befor buying?

Supblek
15th December 2008, 08:12 AM
So there is no other way? I thought you can send a request through their website. (as per my friend's instructions)

blakat
15th December 2008, 08:27 AM
Call them on 133-713; they will need to confirm the IMIE and probably the account details for the device.

Syrecx
15th December 2008, 12:19 PM
I would have thought that if it was so super important to have this unlocked you would have researched befor buying?

Well....thanks to impulse! :p

Has anyone actually called up to unlock before? Need to hear from those.

blakat
15th December 2008, 12:21 PM
Mine was done, took about a week and a half to complete, however i was also the contract holder for the phone so there was on complications on that front, the ETA for their unlock is 6-15 working days (or there abouts)

tcn33
15th December 2008, 12:33 PM
Current unlock time is about ten calendar days.

forno
15th December 2008, 12:35 PM
also would i have to provide details of the previous owner to unlock the stupid thing?

You need to get the previous owner to ring Optus and inform them that the phone has been bought by you, or no unlock at all.

Exocet
15th December 2008, 12:41 PM
Current unlock time is about ten calendar days.

Take this man's word as gospel :)

Cassy
15th December 2008, 01:09 PM
I had mine unlocked last week. They verfied all my details (so you have to get the original owner to call) and it took 9 working days.

Piratbyran
15th December 2008, 01:11 PM
Just me or does this sound a bit fishy?

In any case, the unlock will take a while, it will cost you the full amount, less if you had recharged prepaid on it, but seeing as you don't have the sim thats not possible.

Cassy
15th December 2008, 01:26 PM
You don't have to call from the iPhone itself- its acutally easier if you do it from another phone (so you can access the imei) but you do have to have made a call from the iPhone before requesting unlock

Bosox76
15th December 2008, 01:58 PM
Took 8 business days for me.

Carve
15th December 2008, 03:36 PM
Well....thanks to impulse! :p

Has anyone actually called up to unlock before? Need to hear from those.

man i love impulse buys....

double-edged sword it is

andytlr
15th December 2008, 04:46 PM
I had mine unlocked a couple of weeks ago and I think it took 7 or 8 days. But I imagine you'll probably have to get the previous owner to do it. They need all your details. Then they send you a text message to the number that the phone was registered with (the previous owners), letting you know that it is ready to be unlocked. Then you have to do a restore in iTunes.

Syrecx
15th December 2008, 09:47 PM
I'd bought the iphone from ebay. I'm on Telstra Sim. I didn't read properly hence the impulsive part of me had regretted it big time. Nonetheless, I can give this iphone to my cousin as I'd bought 3!! one for myself and one to update my mrs' first gen iphone.

I'm legit. ;)

Syrecx
15th December 2008, 10:30 PM
Quick question, If i were to get my cousin to go into the optus shop with his sim, would they allow him to unlock the phone(he's with optus ) without having to go through the owner's details?

OziMac
15th December 2008, 10:35 PM
No.

Just call Optus already, there's no way around it.

If you're going to ask the question, take the advice everyone seems to be offering. You'd have a day less to wait if you'd done so this morning.

Syrecx
15th December 2008, 11:08 PM
Well, I'd only picked up the iphone a couple of hours ago. And it was pass business hours with the time difference here.

I might as well make sure before I give them a call, no point getting rejected over nothing.

forno
16th December 2008, 12:34 PM
Quick question, If i were to get my cousin to go into the optus shop with his sim, would they allow him to unlock the phone(he's with optus ) without having to go through the owner's details?

Well, I'd only picked up the iphone a couple of hours ago. And it was pass business hours with the time difference here.

I might as well make sure before I give them a call, no point getting rejected over nothing.

You cant get it unlocked, only the person whos name the phone is in will be able to get it unlocked.

There is no point asking any other questions until you either have the phone transfered into your name by the original owner or they ring and get it unlocked for you!

Simple really:rolleyes:

mallo
16th December 2008, 01:45 PM
You cant get it unlocked, only the person whos name the phone is in will be able to get it unlocked.

There is no point asking any other questions until you either have the phone transfered into your name by the original owner or they ring and get it unlocked for you!

Simple really:rolleyes:

not true.

optus will look on their system, not if it was sold on a plan or pre-paid originally, if sold on a plan, unlock it at no cost, if sold of pre-paid ask for your credit card number and charge you $120.

forno
16th December 2008, 02:08 PM
My understanding is they wont unlock until you can confirm your details(as the owner of the phone as per their records) and confirm the IEMI number, they wont just unlock it if you ring up and say I want this IEMI unlocked, nevermind the cost

tcn33
16th December 2008, 02:21 PM
optus will look on their system, not if it was sold on a plan or pre-paid originally, if sold on a plan, unlock it at no cost, if sold of pre-paid ask for your credit card number and charge you $120.

Not correct, I'm afraid. They will look up the IMEI, and if it was previously used with a different mobile service number (or has never been used on the network) then your request will be declined - regardless of spend, tenure or plan.

forno
16th December 2008, 02:37 PM
Not correct, I'm afraid. They will look up the IMEI, and if it was previously used with a different mobile service number (or has never been used on the network) then your request will be declined - regardless of spend, tenure or plan.

^^^From the horses mouth
:thumbup:

Syrecx
16th December 2008, 02:53 PM
Another question, do i really need a 3g sim card to get it to work?

It's a pain really. Can i get prepaid 3g cards or I have to change my current contract? With locks available online, am i able to unlock it and use it with any sort of sim? e.g. 2g sims?

forno
16th December 2008, 03:00 PM

Another question, do i really need a 3g sim card to get it to work?

It's a pain really. Can i get prepaid 3g cards or I have to change my current contract? With locks available online, am i able to unlock it and use it with any sort of sim? e.g. 2g sims?

Ring Optus!