PDA

View Full Version : External Dvd Burner Recomendations

bigdragon
12th May 2005, 03:26 PM
Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone could, based on actual experience, recomend an external DVD burner for a friend of mine. My friend lives and works in a remote community so I will have to send whatever I get up and so I really need to get the correct thing 1st time. I guess that means that I need a burner that will work without needing to be patched.

My friend is using a G4 ibook 12" 1.2ghz and has toast 6 and wants to be able to export from iMovie to DVD. I know that she was given the ilife 05 update (including iDVD) when she purchased her iBook.

So my questions are:

1. What external DVD burners will connect to the iBook and 'just work'
2. Will I be able to expect that iMovie will detect the external DVD burner and allow movies to be directly exported to it (by way of iDVD) or will my friend have to, for example, export to quicktime and then use toast to make a DVD?

Sorry if this has been covered before, I couldn't find it when I looked :-)

g4cube
12th May 2005, 04:19 PM
Try the pioneer 107D i have one and it works with everything and should be going cheap these days.

Mac_Switcher
12th May 2005, 04:30 PM
I use Pioneer's DVR-108 in an external USB2 case. I use patchburn ( http://www.patchburn.de/ ) to patch it and it works well with iLife '04.

answer 1: Without a patch would probably be LaCie's drives, sold at Apple stores and resellers. Bit more expensive than my option though.

answer 2: With tha LaCie burners, I'm pretty sure u can, but call up ur nearest Apple Store and ask if u want: http://store.apple.com.au/buy/

So she has iLife '05! Great! iDVD now gives u the option of creating a DVD image to burn with Toast/Disk Utility

Patching with Patchburn is dead easy, plug in the external burner and launch Patchburn. It searches for connected CD/DVD burners and lists them. Click on the drive u want and hit Install! Too easy! or if it doesnt show ur burner, refer to Patchburn's FAQ @ http://www.patchburn.de/faq.html

Hope this helps!

mvjs
12th May 2005, 04:44 PM
Does the Sony Duel Layer work with mac? I use it on the PC, it's great!

downsys
12th May 2005, 05:11 PM
i use an LG super multi drive. it's white in colour and compliments my iBook perfectly. costs $179 last time i got it. download patchburn and everything will run fine (it's really important that u do, otherwise u won't be satisfied with your burner, GET IT -REALLY!). my burner has both firewire and usb 2.

although if u want a cheaper option, teds are selling an iMation external burner for only $99. only has usb 2 and not dual layer, but i doubt she'll need dual layer, unless she wants the latest and greatest. but hey, $99 for an external dvd burner, can't complain :)

Ed01
12th May 2005, 08:20 PM
the lacie drives are great, I have a D2 DVD DL burner with toast titanium 6. On the instal CD there is a program that allows for the burning straight from any of the iapps.

cbennie
12th May 2005, 10:11 PM
Hey downsys - is your LG the GSA-4163B? I see them floating around on ebay as external firewire/USB 2.0 drives. Selling for around $140......fair price?

Like to know what you think.

Chris

shrubber
12th May 2005, 10:15 PM
Go with the LaCie d2 16x DVD±RW Double Layer FireWire (Streetwise $235.00). I have one and it works a treat!

fompsweeva
4th July 2005, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by shrubber@May 12 2005, 10:15 PM
Go with the LaCie d2 16x DVD±RW Double Layer FireWire (Streetwise $235.00). I have one and it works a treat!
Is this the highest spec burner you can get? (I noticed -R, +R recording speeds are different?

g4cube
4th July 2005, 04:34 PM
Thats media dependent the difference in - or + speeds.

Kildare
6th July 2005, 12:43 PM
Pioneer DVR-108 works great for me. (With patchburn & external casing)
The DVR-109 is avaliable now for ~$80