PDA

View Full Version : MacBook Pro won't start

iThinkMac
14th December 2008, 08:50 PM
Hi folks,

Just replace the disc drive in an out of warranty MacBook Pro. Everything proceeded as usual (I've pulled them apart before) until I put it back together (haven't put the screws in yet) and pressed the power button. It started up ok, but the screen remained black, no chime sounded, and the only sound was that of the HD, but it didn't sound like it was actually starting up with the normal HD sounds that you'll get as it boots. The other thing is that the sleep light stays on continuously.

What's the go? I'm hoping I haven't damaged anything, but I have no reason to believe I have.

Any help would be great.

Thanks,
iTM

iThinkMac
15th December 2008, 07:23 AM
I was working on the carpet though - could I have built up a static charge and spiked the logic board? *cringes*

bennyling
15th December 2008, 07:26 AM
I was working on the carpet though - could I have built up a static charge and spiked the logic board? *cringes*

Are you even remotely serious?

Working on carpet would definitely be the worst possible thing to do, short of dropping it out the window of a 100-storey building.

To that end, it's entirely possible that you've built up a static charge and spiked the logic board. Entirely possible indeed.

iThinkMac
15th December 2008, 07:30 AM
Grrr....

Well to be honest, I was actually sitting on a couch part of the time, and I worked on the carpet some of the time as well. Well, well, a hard learned lesson. Any ideas on the cheapest replacement option?

Phase
15th December 2008, 07:48 AM
Grrr....

Well to be honest, I was actually sitting on a couch part of the time, and I worked on the carpet some of the time as well. Well, well, a hard learned lesson. Any ideas on the cheapest replacement option?

If it's the logic board that requires replacement, there is no cheapest replacement. It's all $800+ as far as I know.

Unless you scavenge a dead one off ebay with a shattered screen etc.

matthew858
15th December 2008, 07:52 AM
Try and take it to a Genius Bar and get them to have a look at it. They should be able to tell you what's wrong with it and your cheapest repair options. You may even save yourself $800+ by going to the Genius Bar.

iThinkMac
15th December 2008, 07:58 AM
Ok, might try the Genius Bar then. Do they charge to look at it first up?

Tom125
15th December 2008, 08:11 AM
No, they don't charge.

Silly question maybe... was it just an upgrade or did the original drive die? If an upgrade have you tried putting the original drive back in and seeing whether it works?

iThinkMac
15th December 2008, 08:24 AM
ah, ok.. will give that a try then. Well, actually, the old drive was sporadically failing to mount discs, so we decided to replace it with a new one. Bad mistake. :( At least I know now though. I've just got to get my hands on another one.

~iTM

Wally
15th December 2008, 09:12 AM
Curious, but did you plug in the connector for the keyboard?

bennyling
15th December 2008, 09:25 AM
Curious, but did you plug in the connector for the keyboard?

The power button works, and as far as I know, the power button isn't separate from the keyboard (as far as connectors go).

arkenstone
15th December 2008, 09:40 AM
Try the old drive again.

Similarly there shouldn't be much risk of static-frying anything if you keep your gear plugged in.

Always keep your computer plugged while you're working on it and touch the chassis/power supply often to ground yourself.

If you're super duper paranoid that there's enough amperage coming out of the powersupply to hurt you you can always switch the power point off at the wall, correctly wired points will switch the active and thus you'll still be earthed.

iThinkMac
15th December 2008, 09:44 AM
Right - I plugged the keyboard connector in. I've checked most plugs.

iThinkMac
15th December 2008, 10:03 AM
Here, I've found a logic board on ebay. Would you see any problem in fitting the 2.16Ghz board to the 2.00Ghz body?

Here's the link. (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290282528933&ssPageName=MERC_VIC_RCRX_Pr4_PcY_BIN_IT&refitem=290279440713&itemcount=4&refwidgetloc=closed_view_item&usedrule1=CrossSell_LogicX&refwidgettype=cross_promot_widget&_trksid=p284.m183&_trkparms=algo%3DCRX%26its%3DS%252BI%26itu%3DUCI%2 52BSI%26otn%3D4)

grfxninja
15th December 2008, 12:11 PM
Apart from the fact that it is US$525 (with shipping) which converts (using the dashboard widget so could be a bit off) to roughly AU$800, so why bother?
Better off just getting it done here for that money and probably get some sort of warranty as well

iThinkMac
15th December 2008, 01:41 PM
Well, I rang up an Apple store and they quoted around $1600 for the logic board, plus $130-150 labour. I'm not sure what you're referring to by "getting it done here" because I can't find a logic board for that price in Australia. Any light on the subject?

grfxninja
15th December 2008, 01:56 PM
Sorry, I was just referring to Phase's comment earlier in the thread about it being "$800+"
I haven't actually priced it myself and just took his word for it ;)

iThinkMac
15th December 2008, 02:05 PM
Ok, yea, the other thing is that if I install it myself, it will void the warranty anyway, so warranty isn't really any good for me.

Don't worry, I'm going to be really careful with static now - I'm going to get the proper ESD wrist strap discharge band, and do it on a non-static bench.

~iTM

iThinkMac
16th December 2008, 06:56 AM
I was talking to a PC tech guy and he said he very much doubts that it's the mother board that has been spiked. He said that RAM is more delicate that the logic board, and if anything, it would have been spiked first, because (as he says) the logic board has lesser sensitivity that RAM chips. I think I'll take it to a genius so I know what I'm dealing with here.

Do stores like MAC1 have Apple geniuses, or are they only at official apple-owned stores?

Tom125
17th December 2008, 07:10 AM
Apple Stores have a genius bar where you can go and talk to someone who knows something there and then. They might not be able to fix it immediately but they'll at least be intelligent...

No experience with Mac1 specifically but I've found that with most resellers you deal with some clueless sales guy and have to leave your computer with them without actually being able to talk to the clever techie people who work behind the scenes.

I don't know how close you are to Chadstone, but if it's at all possible I'd go there over a reseller... You can book in here: Concierge (http://concierge.apple.com/store/R180)

iThinkMac
23rd December 2008, 07:16 PM
Thanks Tom.

Well, I'm glad to say that this computer is back together and is working perfectly. :) I had a fiddle with it when my sister went to town, and pulled the ram out, and I got the blinking white sleep light. Hmmm....that was progress as far as I was concerned. I then put my own computer's ram in, and the computer started fine. I then put the original ram in again, and it still booted up no worries. I don't know what to put it down to but a miracle. :)

Anyway, thought you'd like to know.

~iTM

Tom125
24th December 2008, 11:53 AM
Excellent! Keep everything backed up just in case! :)