PDA

View Full Version : Need a combo clock/radio/iPhone dock

docpkenny
14th December 2008, 01:23 PM
I have 3 items on my bedside table.

a landline phone, a clock/radio and my iPhone charger.

I would like to get something that combines the three in one.

I am not that concerned about sound quality.

Does anyone have any advice, my budget is around $200

Peter

motef
14th December 2008, 01:33 PM
I got one of these

LOGITECH Pure-Fi Anytime Dock (C9972) - Dick Smith Electronics - Australia. (http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/49447da0139a17cc2740c0a87e0106e1/Product/View/C9972)

They were on special at DSE for $129.

docpkenny
14th December 2008, 03:07 PM
Thanks for the tip Motef,
How is the sound quality with that unit
Peter

vargz
14th December 2008, 03:58 PM
Thanks for the tip Motef,
How is the sound quality with that unit
Peter

My choices came down to the Logitech model and the Sony iPhone Dock. I prefered the smaller compact look of the Logitech, though it did feel like cheap, glossy plastic. I found the sound quality to be poor, much like laptop speakers and at times distortive. Though, based on your post, this may not bother you.

In the end I chose the Sony. The sound quality is much better than the Logitech, though it lacks a bit of 'depth' in the sound, its fine for a bedside unit. Radio reception is very good. It will charge/playback your iPhone and has the usual alarm clock features you need. It is also a fairer price than the Logitech at $159 (I got mine for $139 on special). The Logitech is overpriced for $229, but I expect you should be able to find it for $100 less if you search around.

EDIT: Link to the model I purchased
ICF-C1IPMK2BLACK | Speaker Dock/Clock Radio for iPod® Music Player - Black | Sony | SonyStyle USA (http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&langId=-1&productId=8198552921665411929&storeId=10151&INT=M:ak)

choy
14th December 2008, 05:40 PM
x1 the sony. better quality, less gimmicky (hand sensor on logitech) and morecompact unit. also plays cds.

ICF-CD3iPSIL | CD Clock Radio for iPod® and iPhone™ | Sony | SonyStyle USA (http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921665545060)

available at djs or a sony store

butteries
14th December 2008, 07:58 PM
Just got a Sony one today. It is excellent, with handy remote and good sound. Cost $159 at myer on special just now, and they chucked in an additional year to the standard one year warranty. Get it.

ashIV
14th December 2008, 08:39 PM
i like the look of that sony, can it run on batteries or dose it have a rechargeable pack?

dche5390
14th December 2008, 08:56 PM
With the alarm function on the Sony, does it have its own alarm sounds, or does it use the stock standard from the iPhone?

I've yet to JB my iPhone (too lazy) and am stuck with the restrictive list of sounds and alerts on the iPhone. Waking up to Marimba just doesn't seem right at all.

macaholic
14th December 2008, 08:57 PM
i like the look of that sony, can it run on batteries or dose it have a rechargeable pack?

"does"

macaholic
14th December 2008, 09:17 PM
Just a polite correction.
No offence intended.

Is it just me?
Or has the standard of spelling in these forums...

Oh, I give up.

docpkenny
14th December 2008, 10:28 PM
Thanks for the advice guys

Big W currently has the Logitech for $147.

Peter

mattyi
15th December 2008, 08:25 AM
Thanks for letting us know Peter. Is the special listed in a catalogue somewhere? Do you know when the price ends? I'm looking at getting one of these myself. Cheers.

homodelphinus
15th December 2008, 09:34 AM
My GF just bought me an iHome iH8 clock radio for ipod.

It is brilliant and has all required features, dual alarms, dimmar, sleep fuction etc. equaliser (basic), daylight savings switch etc etc.

My GF is an audio engineer and in her opinion the sound quality is excellent for this size and type of device.

Have only had it for a few days but I have found it to be great.

Not sure how much she paid for it but I notice Streewise show them for $184.95 so I guess they could be found cheaper elsewhere.

docpkenny
15th December 2008, 11:59 AM
Thanks for letting us know Peter. Is the special listed in a catalogue somewhere? Do you know when the price ends? I'm looking at getting one of these myself. Cheers.

Not in the cataloge so far as I know.

There were 6 or seven on the shelf (mixed in with similar products) but no tag or price marked on the shelf.

I had to scan it at a self serve scanning station to get the price, so I guess this is just their standard price.

I bought it but will not be opening it till xmas so may still change my mind and return it. I must say that iH8 looks good.

Peter

laughingbird
16th December 2008, 10:43 AM
I'd recommend the Sony ICF-C1iPMK2 that someone has already mentioned.

Another possibility is the iHome iP99 Dual Alarm Clock Radio. The two are similarly priced and both have excellent sound quality and almost identical feature sets. The big difference in Australia at least is that the iHome one, despite what some of the ads said, doesn't have an AM/FM radio, but only FM. I sent mine back because of this and bought the Sony one from AccessoryJack.com

I'm really happy with it. Excellent unit.

SOSUMI
16th December 2008, 10:59 AM
I bought the TDK iSlim from JB around $89..great all functions except iphone 3G charges only..but have 30gb ipod for what I need to do.

kyncaid
16th December 2008, 09:57 PM
I Have the LOGITECH Pure-Fi myself. The best feature is the motion sensitive snooze, you don't even have to touch it just wave your hand over it.

macaholic
16th December 2008, 10:02 PM
Best $40 I ever spent:
http://forums.mactalk.com.au/14/36873-split-ipod-speaker-dock-am-fm-alarm-clock-radio.html#3

markpalavra
16th December 2008, 10:07 PM
I Have the LOGITECH Pure-Fi myself. The best feature is the motion sensitive snooze, you don't even have to touch it just wave your hand over it.

That is a terrible feature! I would never wake up ! :)

mattyi
18th December 2008, 02:19 PM
Not in the cataloge so far as I know.

There were 6 or seven on the shelf (mixed in with similar products) but no tag or price marked on the shelf.

I had to scan it at a self serve scanning station to get the price, so I guess this is just their standard price.

I bought it but will not be opening it till xmas so may still change my mind and return it. I must say that iH8 looks good.

Peter

Thanks Peter. Just picked one up for $147. Christmas present for me as well.

aafuss
18th December 2008, 10:59 PM
The ICF-CD3iP can also play CD's-but you'd mainly use the iPhone/iPod docking.

Byrd
19th December 2008, 07:13 AM
JB Hi-Fi sell a small iPod clock/radio made by Soniq, for $88. The draw card of this model is that it's small - most of the others are huge ugly pieces of crap - and it it's basically a rip-off of a white G4 Cube. I've been really happy with it Sound quality is fine for radio, it has a white LED display (which isn't blindingly bright at night) and it has dual alarms which are very loud. Let me know if you want a pic :)

JB

vargz
19th December 2008, 09:28 AM
JB Hi-Fi sell a small iPod clock/radio made by Soniq, for $88. The draw card of this model is that it's small - most of the others are huge ugly pieces of crap - and it it's basically a rip-off of a white G4 Cube. I've been really happy with it Sound quality is fine for radio, it has a white LED display (which isn't blindingly bright at night) and it has dual alarms which are very loud. Let me know if you want a pic :)

JB

Is this the one you mean? - http://www.digitalhome.com.au/iPod_MP3_and_Portables/Soniq/QMS200_DUAL_ALARM_CLOCK_WITH_IPOD_DOCK_-_HOT_NEW_RELEASE_(iPod_not_included)/26172

Does it charge/playback iPhone3G?

Byrd
19th December 2008, 03:04 PM
Yes, it comes with a slew of plastic dock brackets which support the iPhone and iPod touch. The white one looks the best (it comes with a plastic sleeve to make it black but this looks highly shithouse). I've seen it for $99 at some JBs, but others had it for $88 - ?

JB

Philly
19th December 2008, 03:14 PM
Just got a Sony one today. It is excellent, with handy remote and good sound. Cost $159 at myer on special just now, and they chucked in an additional year to the standard one year warranty. Get it.

I'm getting that for Christmas. I've tryed it out and it is a wonderful device, even the remote can control your iPod's Menu. :thumbup:

qwerty
22nd December 2008, 11:04 PM
I'd recommend the Sony ICF-C1iPMK2 that someone has already mentioned.

Another possibility is the iHome iP99 Dual Alarm Clock Radio. The two are similarly priced and both have excellent sound quality and almost identical feature sets. The big difference in Australia at least is that the iHome one, despite what some of the ads said, doesn't have an AM/FM radio, but only FM. I sent mine back because of this and bought the Sony one from AccessoryJack.com

I'm really happy with it. Excellent unit.

I too purchased an iP99 but it's going back tomorrow. No AM!? The iHome website says it does AM but the locally available version doesn't. Huh?

It's a pity because it's a very nice bit of kit.

Will probably go for the Sony.

homodelphinus
23rd December 2008, 09:01 AM
That's wierd as the iHome iH8 has both FM & AM...

basseyy
23rd December 2008, 09:30 AM
SONY - Australia (http://www.sony.com.au/pe/catalog/product.jsp?categoryId=34875#)

some of the best ipod docks, i prefer the round faced one, looks very cool and pretty cheap too