PDA

View Full Version : Hot macbook

jubilantjeremy
14th December 2008, 02:30 AM
My macbook runs really hot, seemingly ALL of the time.

The fan seems to constantly blast at 6200 RPM. My CPU temp gets up to about 83 deg sometimes. Here's a shot :

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/201802/temps.png

At the moment I only have firefox running, nothing else. I've just been browsing the web (three or so tabs), nothing else, trying to see if the fans will slow down.

Checking out my processes, I dont seem to have anything using CPU time extravagantly.
Is there anything I can do? This sucker is almost too hot to put on my lap.. :(

Jeremy

Edit : See, CPU not doing much..

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/201802/processes.png

g4cube
14th December 2008, 08:57 AM
I run a app called smcFanControl it lets you control the fan speeds and works very well for me at keeping mine cooler. Your fans are running at max and they shouldn't be really mate. i wound mine right up to see how cool it would get but the high fan speed actually made mine run hotter than if i let it run at 3ooo rpm.

Domenic
14th December 2008, 09:09 AM
Are you running it on your lap or a pillow or soft surface etc.?

If you are, put it on a hard surface such as a bench and see if the fans relax a little.

Currawong
14th December 2008, 09:57 AM
I have a late-2006 C2D MacBook Pro that was notorious for having excess thermal paste on the CPU, GPU and Northbridge. I actually pulled the logic board, cleaned off the huge amounts of paste and put on a carefully applied layer of Arctic Silver thermal paste. Now it runs almost 10 degrees cooler.

Check also the vents aren't clogged with dust.

jubilantjeremy
14th December 2008, 10:53 AM
Yes, I am using it in my lap.. I would have thought that the increased air flow around the bottom might actually cool it, though.. :(

I have a late-2006 C2D MacBook Pro that was notorious for having excess thermal paste on the CPU, GPU and Northbridge. I actually pulled the logic board, cleaned off the huge amounts of paste and put on a carefully applied layer of Arctic Silver thermal paste. Now it runs almost 10 degrees cooler.

Check also the vents aren't clogged with dust.

This sounds interesting. Mine's a 2Ghz Core2Duo - That's 'Late 2006' too, I think? (Not sure - bought it refurb).

Is this a pretty straightforward procedure? Well documented online?
(I'd google, but I've been shaped - its horrible)

Thanks

jubilantjeremy
14th December 2008, 10:55 AM
It isnt just time for a PRAM reset or something?

J

jubilantjeremy
14th December 2008, 12:23 PM
And now, the plot thickens.

I just logged into the 'guest' account for half an hour, and browsed the 'net etc.
The fans? Not a peep!

Logged out, back into my account, and we're back to 6200 RPM.

How can I find the cause of this?

J

p53
14th December 2008, 01:12 PM
Check Activity Monitor to see if anything is hogging the CPU. just saw the edit in your post, sorry