PDA

View Full Version : iPhone - To Case or Not to Case, that is the question!

The_Hawk
11th December 2008, 09:43 PM
The closest thing to a case my iPhone has is finger prints. Long long ago I gave up on cases for phones. No matter what case I had I had issues with the way to worked, or the way it worked with docks, or accessories or the dust underneath them...

Anyway, I admit it's not for everyone, but for me I am a little careful in that I try not to put my keys in my pocket with my phone and I don't slide it across the table (often) and never face down. But short of that I use it everyday, granted I work in an office so my phones spend a fair amount of their time in a suit pocket, in my pants pocket or in a dock. But they will also spend a fair time on a desk or on a folio/folder thing in meetings.

In short I have made peace with the fact that my phones will get scratched up and be worth less on the second hand market, but at the end of the day I'm not buying it for resale value, I'm buying it to use and just don't see the sence it putting a barrier between me and my tool.

In my case my phones have always been insured so breakage has never been a concern, but apart from once in many many years I haven't broken a phone yet. I also tend to get a new handset every 12 - 18 months anyway so am even less concerned.

I do have one friend that is ANAL about keeping his units perfect, to the point where he still has a boxed 5110 with the factory plastic screen protector attached in a leather case in it's original box... after 2 years full time use. Reality in his case he has been stupidly over careful for a long time for a device that is now completely worthless, has a dead battery and is easily out performed by a $29 pre paid unit.

Rambling aside, who shuns the world of cases for the true experience? The pleasure that is holding a smooth sexy naked device?

And who can't stand the thought of scratching their iPhone?

Geoff3DMN
11th December 2008, 09:55 PM
I have a DLO soft rubber phone case and use a screen protector. I couldn't be bothered with a proper leather type case though. The only reason I have the DLO one is I'm clumsy and I've dropped the phone half a dozen times in the last few months... it'd be dead by now without the extra protection of the soft rubber.

Reubania
11th December 2008, 09:56 PM
I think mine would be come under "holster" style case. I think the iPhone is a sexy beast that should be un-cased/uncovered. The feel of it in your hands is delicious.

So to counter act scratches, I've put an Invisible shield on the glass. It almost looks invisible. Then I pop it into a slim vertical "pouch" from http://www.beyzacases.com/ (http://www.beyzacases.com/cat-apple-iphone-3g-cases-slimline-series-leather-cases---ultra-slim-type-vertical-pouch-cases.cfm)

The velvet interior actually cleans the back of the iPhone from fingerprints and grime. And the case is slim enough to put it in your pants pocket (as I do). It's black leather and looks stylish, and it's quick and easy to whip it out of it's vertical pouch when you need to use it, show it off, whatever you choose to do.

As for charging, there is an opening at the bottom that can still fit the charging cord. On the top is open, so you can plug in your headphones easily. However, when I'm at home, the iPhone lounges naked (bar the invisible shield) and sits perfectly on the 3G dock, right next to the white iPod Hi-Fi system.

Optogamut
11th December 2008, 10:09 PM
Yeah, I've never bought cases for phones. Bought the iphone a little foof bag though.

dotnet
11th December 2008, 10:19 PM
Nekkid! I bought a holster initially (because that's what I used to use with my previous phat-phone), but it's gathering dust now. The iPhone is slender enough to slip into shirt and pant pockets.

Cheers
Steffen.

Reubania
11th December 2008, 10:22 PM
Nekkid! I bought a holster initially (because that's what I used to use with my previous phat-phone), but it's gathering dust now. The iPhone is slender enough to slip into shirt and pant pockets.

Cheers
Steffen.

NOOOOO!!!! Don't put it into your shirt pocket! My mate does it all the time, and within a week of getting it, it slipped out of his shirt pocket!! He's an engineer, and his work requires manual labour, and constant bending down. And that's how he wrecks all his phones! Alas, the phone still works, but the glass it totally smashed into tiny cracks. It's amazing he can still see what's on his phone at all! Consequently, both him and his wife have gotten them rubber cases.

mwot
11th December 2008, 10:27 PM
problem with most cases is that they just add bulk ... and usually, a whole lot of ugly.

i like the Air Jacket for iPhone (http://onemorething.com.au/2008/11/01/air-jacket-body-protection-for-your-iphone-3g/) ... it's near naked.

dev_enter
11th December 2008, 10:31 PM
I thought about buying something for my iPhone, but then just realised I would enjoy it less if I had to be all super careful about it, they're pretty resilient (unless you drop them or try to teach them to swim).

I'm breaking the OCD cycle. :)

Narooma
11th December 2008, 10:43 PM
I'm breaking the OCD cycle. :)

I'm a two week owner of a nice new shiny iPhone and I'm just freakin' starting my iPhone OCD experience :(

Sure the phone is insured......but my god has anyone ever gone down that road? I have and it's not painless!

timothy
11th December 2008, 11:26 PM
A vote for naked iPhones from me...

It is so natural...

gareth
11th December 2008, 11:46 PM
i have a case and anti-glare film to protect it from dust and scratches :)

Tragedies
11th December 2008, 11:49 PM
I have an iPod touch, rather then an iPhone, but I still believe if you're going to buy such a highly priced piece of hardware (iPhone) you might as well protect it with a cheap case. who knows, you may one day sell your iPhone to upgrade and if the case has done it's job, your device will be great condition.

You could go naked though, but if one day you accidentally dropped your phone for whatever reason, the damage may show.

The_Hawk
12th December 2008, 07:54 AM
Sure the phone is insured......but my god has anyone ever gone down that road? I have and it's not painless!

My experience (and those that I know of) were pretty simple, but took 6 - 10 weeks, although in my case thats because I elected to take the cash and not a replacement unit, but ws otherwise pretty easy, mostly it was waiting. Now if I had of chosen a replacement unit, it would have been over in about 10 days.

Narooma
12th December 2008, 08:04 AM
When I had one replaced on a plan about 4 years ago, it was an extremely frustrating experience and a patience straining excercise.

I have Optus insurance for the iPhone. If in the event that I ever need to use it, I hope it's resolved in 10 days.

Narooma
12th December 2008, 08:05 AM
I'm actually in awe of you users that feel comfortable with a naked iPhone against the elements.

................or maybe I just need some therapy :)

Cassy
12th December 2008, 08:34 AM
I bought Optus insurance so I keep my in a really thin case (back only) with a screen protector on the front- and thats mainly because it gets thrown into my handbag a lot!

Supreme
12th December 2008, 09:18 AM
Dropped mine on the floor and broke the LCD screen after slipping out of my pocket. The Genius Bar gave me a new one but I always case now. :)

decryption
12th December 2008, 09:19 AM
My iPhone goes commando.
It's how Steve Jobs intended.

dolbinau
12th December 2008, 09:24 AM
Cases make the iPhone look disgusting. I have never put a case on my iPod, or iPhone and I never will.

Admittedly I cracked the screen on my iPhone which might not have happened with a case. But since I have optus insurance I'd rather this way.

Narooma
12th December 2008, 09:39 AM
So how have people found Optus insurance?

Was it painful or painless? What was the turn around time like? And do they interrogate you like Telstra does?

ford.boy
12th December 2008, 09:40 AM
I voted holster, cause I use an iPod sock. Brilliant solution IMO :)

~Coxy
12th December 2008, 09:43 AM
Those thin cases that don't add any bulk look like they wouldn't stop the screen shattering on a fall, anyway, even if you only hit the side of the unit. I have to say that Apple should probably get over their thing and switch to using a plastic screen instead.

mitty
12th December 2008, 09:44 AM
Well of course naked feels better, it's just natural.

Oh, you meant the iphone! Sorry about that.

Well, naked is just fine until you drop it. It'll happen to everyone eventually (http://forums.mactalk.com.au/47/63263-iphone-dropped-survived-anyone-else-done.html), face it most of us are klutzy nerds. I've only done it the once but the price I paid for my crappy crystal case (which actually still lets you see all the iphoney goodness) was $19 and worth every cent.

east
12th December 2008, 09:49 AM
the Style Guy (GQ magazine US edition) once said that the hanging-on-the-belt style holsters are never a good look. You may as well sling a baton, mace and hand cuffs on the other parts of your belt.

and I agree.

Naked is great but Nudie is ok too ( i use a Nudie Jeans iPod case for the iPhone) or a Powersupport transparent backcase i got during the Black Friday Sale.

Cassy
12th December 2008, 09:49 AM
Those thin cases that don't add any bulk look like they wouldn't stop the screen shattering on a fall, anyway, even if you only hit the side of the unit. I have to say that Apple should probably get over their thing and switch to using a plastic screen instead.

Most likely true! Thats why I have my insurance for cracked screens and my case for scratches and other cosmetic damage.

ford.boy
12th December 2008, 09:53 AM
Plastic screens scratch like all get out. There is no way I would want a plastic screen.

dolbinau
12th December 2008, 10:29 AM
So how have people found Optus insurance?

Was it painful or painless? What was the turn around time like? And do they interrogate you like Telstra does?

TBH I haven't even bothered using it yet.

splinteredmind
12th December 2008, 11:01 AM
Zagg invisible shield on the glass and using an incase slider case - puts my apple perfection ocd at ease ... just.

macnwindows
12th December 2008, 11:29 AM
Bodyguardz protect my iPhone so well and most of the people can't find out that it has a transparent cover on it. Preserves the beauty of the device and keeps it scratchproof. Wouldn't keep it naked as it will get finger prints and sweat easily.

The_Hawk
12th December 2008, 11:59 AM
the price I paid for my crappy crystal case (which actually still lets you see all the iphoney goodness) was $19 and worth every cent.

Whats a replacement screen worth? (both aftermarket or original if people have both prices).

Most people I know with crystal cases tend to break them pretty quickly (and I think they look cheap), All I'm saying is that assuming you break a couple in ways other than dropping, how many $20 cases are the equivalent of a replacement screen?

Rant
12th December 2008, 12:23 PM
If your friend likes plastic so much, BodyGuardz (http://www.scratchproofcovers.com.au/mobile-phone-covers/apple-iphone/apple-iphone-3g.html) or Invisible Shield (http://www.macstylez.com.au/collections/zagg/products/invisibleshield-iphone) are the ticket. You get the look and feel of the naked phone, with automotive/military grade protection. And they peel off, leaving a pristine new phone underneath. They make it easier to clean and, in my experience, they don't get smudged as easily. Bodyguardz might be a little more expensive, but you get 2 whole sets, just in case...

http://www.bodyguardz.com/v/vspfiles/photos/iPhone3G-2T.jpghttp://static2.shopify.com/s/files/1/0011/2912/products/is_iphone_large.jpg

Probably won't save it from multiple drops, but your friend doesn't sound like the type that is afflicted with those issues. If I was dropping mine all the time, I'd have a skin and a leather case (see below).

The downside is it takes a bit of experience to get one of these skins on perfectly and you can end up with little bits that stick up at the corners, which tidy freaks might dislike, but are nothing compared to putting ugly hard cases on the beautiful iPhone.

If your friend likes boxes, they might like a leather pouch of some kind, either a slip-on (http://tryandbyte.com.au/cgi-bin/page.pl?page=2421&title=Sena%20UltraSlim%20Pouch%20for%20iPhone%203G %20(Black)) or something more substantial (http://www.iworldaustralia.com.au/index.cfm/page/productdetail/id/63/DLO-HipCase-for-iPhone--Black-Leather).

http://tryandbyte.com.au/images/1220402485_3G_black_web2.jpg.jpghttp://www.iworldaustralia.com.au/data/images/productlarge/P447.jpg

ZacDavies
12th December 2008, 11:13 PM
I had several bad attempts, then I went InCase Slider

Very happy <3

dotnet
12th December 2008, 11:19 PM
The DLO belt holster above is crap, don't buy it. I did, and the stitching disintegrated after not even a month of normal use.

Cheers
Steffen.

Beau
12th December 2008, 11:41 PM
I had several bad attempts, then I went InCase Slider

Very happy <3

+1.

tanguero
13th December 2008, 12:11 AM
I just have a screen protector most of the time.
When I'm in the car I have a back-only silicon case so that it doesn'tslide around.
When I'm in the studio I've bought a box of 1,000 clear zip lock bags (cost me about $16) that fit the iphone perfectly.
Seriously, I work with a lot of dirty materials, caustic chemicals and metal dust.
Dust from grinding steel goes straight to the phone's speakers and makes them buzz.
The touch screen works and I can still make calls through the wee baggie, perfect for the studio, I even managed to drop the bagged phone into a bucket of water without and damage.
They do look a bit lame though.

Most of the time though I only have a screen protector.

Glompbot
13th December 2008, 07:33 AM
My iphone is naked, and not insured.

It goes in my pocket at work, or I carry it in my hand when I wear clothes without pockets. Or my desk when I'm sitting down (but since I'm in desktop/server support I don't sit still that often)

I've dropped it a few times, and its been fine (from a 50cm height), on both carpet and wooden floors.

I chuck it in m handbag with my keys, hair clips, glasses case, usb stick, and lip balm and makeup....

It gets beaten around.

So far i have one tiny scratch in the screen in the top left hand corner, which you can only see on certain angles and in the right light.

abure
13th December 2008, 08:01 AM
to me its just a phone, it will get scratched, just like my engagement ring (iphone is a lot cheaper to replace though). so whilst i make an effort to put it in its little foofpod case, if it doesnt go in there i dont stress.

FWIW i had one of those shield screen things (invishield?) and it shit me, as the buttons never lined up.

Narooma
13th December 2008, 08:19 AM
My iphone is naked, and not insured.

Miss Rambo

;)