PDA

View Full Version : PB G4 HD Kaput ! What to do ?

Spud
11th December 2008, 09:36 PM
Hi all

Never thought id see the day but the pb g4 hd has died ! (I have data backup, phew!)

This machine has been so reliable for so long - i want to cry. The prices on the new machines are horrendous! Although the speed and features of the new ones are awesome. I need the 17 in for graphics and easier on the eyes. I wont be paying 5k for a laptop!!

I wont even think about the PC/windows - use them at work with too many problems and tend to out date too soon, they're crap.

What can I expect to pay in order to replace the hd on the pb ?
I have thought of replacing the hd myself (have seen the youtube vid) but I have fat fingers, ipod battery change was hard enough.
Any one recommend a newer 2nd hand model (specs ?) - demo model (specs) ?
What could I expect if sold the pb outright (fixed) ?
Can I trade somewhere ?
Any ideas welcolme?

Spud

bljpoad
11th December 2008, 09:46 PM
I have replaced the HD in a 15" power book before, it is a bit fidley, but very doable. I got a guide from iFixIt (I think, I will check that) and it had a screw guide, so I just taped the screws onto that so as not to lose them ;)

Heck, if you are in Melbourne and you want a hand just fire me a PM
- Berwyck

EDIT: here is a link to get you started mate: Aluminum 17" - iFixit: iPod, iBook, & PowerBook Parts and Accessories (http://www.ifixit.com/Categories/Aluminum-17-Inch/55)

Spud
11th December 2008, 09:58 PM
Whoa

You have the best job !

Unfortunately I'm in Perth, probably would have taken up the offer (not after one of you hard days at work though, brewing, yeah right).

Spud

bljpoad
11th December 2008, 10:30 PM
LOL! to be totally honest I have probably lost about 10kgs since working there, and I am only doing a day or two per week until I finish my thesis! Really enjoy it though ;)

Back on the PB, personally I would lean towards having a crack myself, just because if you took it to a computer shop it would probably cost a packet. An 80GB 2.5" PATA drive should set you back around $50-60 at most, and from memory it took me about an hour to get it all done (not including cloning the old disc), so I would be guessing you would be looking at $200 for the job to be done by a shop. Someone more in the know might be able to give you a more accurate figure though
- Berwyck

Brains
11th December 2008, 11:09 PM
I'm with the 'poad, if you're not shy about wielding small screwdrivers and can follow nice and easy pictorial instructions (from iFixit or PowerBook Medic) then replacing the hard drive yourself is not as daunting as you may think. If you'd rather an expert do it and don't mind paying for those l33t sk1llz to be wielded to your benefit, then an hour's labour at any good Apple reseller will be a decent investment, and not wallet-draining either.

An alternative is to avoid the internal hard drive entirely, and set up a nice little FireWire external drive, and run OSX from that instead.

jubilantjeremy
12th December 2008, 12:34 AM
Ring round Team Digital (Perth) and Macworx (Joondalup) in Perth. They're both awesome.