PDA

View Full Version : Black or white

back2mac
11th December 2008, 04:55 PM
I know it is a personal taste thing - but can anyone provide reasons for or against choosing a black or a white iPhone?

dotComrade
11th December 2008, 04:56 PM
Black shows up finger prints more than white (not too bad)
White will probably discolour after a while

leon
11th December 2008, 04:59 PM
If your a girl get white.
If your a boy get black.

Reubania
11th December 2008, 05:00 PM
As much as the colour white is synonymous with Apple products, the sexy blackness of the iPhone definitely stood out from the pack of the classically white iPods. It's all about product differentiation. And to me, it looks sexier as black. It looks too much like an iPod if the iPhone is white.

Saying that, the black iPhone doesn't match with anything of mine. I have a white car, white interior, white Apple products and an aluminium MacBook Air...oh wait! I have a black 1G Nano :D

ford.boy
11th December 2008, 05:22 PM
I think the white looks a million times better than the cheapish looking black back (in my opinion)

The white also doesn't show scratches or finger prints :)

negatory
11th December 2008, 05:40 PM
White looks cheap, at least black looks nice and subtle.

wmyeoh
11th December 2008, 05:46 PM
If your a boy get black.

Haha! I'm feeling very emasculated now.

If you end up putting on a skin (Bestskinsever is the one that I got), and you get a white - chances are it'll have a pretty nasty yellow tinge after a while.

jubilantjeremy
11th December 2008, 06:17 PM
doesn't matter baby, they're all the same inside.

The Fluffy Duck
11th December 2008, 06:28 PM
If an iphone is a computer I guess a cloud isnt part of the weather.

- - e r i k - -
11th December 2008, 07:59 PM
White is classy. Black is smudgy. Plus every man and his dog has the black one.

EdgeOfQuarrel
11th December 2008, 08:06 PM
a product red iphone ... now that'd be stylin

Supreme
11th December 2008, 08:42 PM
I chose white because my partner got a black one, and it's easier to identify who's is who's. :P

Narooma
11th December 2008, 09:06 PM
every man and his dog has the black one.

Yeah.....because only girls have white ones :)

The_Hawk
11th December 2008, 09:28 PM
If your a boy get black.

Get both!

The wife has white and I has a bunny... erm I mean a black one.

I think both look good, but for us, being able to quickly and easily identify the right handset means less far less confusion.

simplynick
11th December 2008, 10:28 PM
White = 16Gb
Black ones always look dirty, and unlike MacBooks White does not discolour

Narooma
11th December 2008, 10:44 PM
Wacko Jacko reckons it doesn't matter if your black or white :)

The_Hawk
12th December 2008, 07:55 AM
unlike MacBooks White does not discolour

so far.......

Cassy
12th December 2008, 08:36 AM
I personally prefer black, white didn't look right with the black around the screen

mallo
12th December 2008, 09:01 AM
I personally prefer black, white didn't look right with the black around the screen

Finally some one said it.

I bought black, but if the could of somehow carried the white into the screen surround on the white models, i would of seriously considered a white one.

the white looks out of place the rest of the currenty design. black flows nicely.

dolbinau
12th December 2008, 09:32 AM
Finally some one said it.

I bought black, but if the could of somehow carried the white into the screen surround on the white models, i would of seriously considered a white one.

the white looks out of place the rest of the currenty design. black flows nicely.

I thought the same with the promo shots but it just isn't like that in reality. A fully white iPhone would suck because the screen would feel to be much smaller.

I bought white. I just like the look, less fingerprints, exclusivity :P.

Cassy
12th December 2008, 09:39 AM
I had a look and play with both before I got my black one and I agree with Mallo - the black one just flowed really well and looked great :)

The white one I acutally really liked in the promo shots but thought it looked a bit odd when I acutally got my hands on one but since then I have seen some white cases I like so that doesn't mean much! :D

mitty
12th December 2008, 10:14 AM
I was all set to get black but when in line on launch day I saw some other white ones and they looked quite nice so that's what I ended up with. I had an Exo skin at first which covered it up but now I have a crystal case which shows it in all it's beauty. And hey, if it's black nobody can be sure if you have 8 or 16gb, but if you have white every knows the you aren't a cheapskate :D

Phase
12th December 2008, 10:15 AM
but if you have white every knows the you aren't a cheapskate :D

I don't think anyone who owns an iPhone could be called a cheapskate. :p

Phormic
12th December 2008, 10:19 AM
I always support the underdog. I'm attracted to the weird and the ignored. For that reason I had to go for the white. Besides, it's got that old skool Apple style.

And if that also means I'm comfortable and in touch with the feminine side to my personality, so be it.

fiark
12th December 2008, 10:22 AM
If your a boy get black.

Are you taking the piss?

I remember when guys were not allowed to wear white socks - if they did then they were gay.

Thank god we have all grown up.

I used to work in a body piercing shop and when the guys would ask which side was the gay side I would tell them that both sides were and they should just come out of the closet and be done with it.

dolbinau
12th December 2008, 10:26 AM
I used to work in a body piercing shop and when the guys would ask which side was the gay side I would tell them that both sides were and they should just come out of the closet and be done with it.

LOL.

Scubasnaps
12th December 2008, 09:46 PM
I wanted a black 16GB and queued up for hours on launch day to get one. They ran out of 16GB black phones so I grabbed a white one instead - couldn't go away empty handed.

leon
13th December 2008, 07:56 AM
Are you taking the piss?

Yes I am taking the piss.

In the end it just comes down to personal preference. In my experience white Apple products do not tend to discolour.
Personally I like black as the white just doesn't seem to look right to me.

benr
13th December 2008, 08:07 AM
Didn't your parents ever tell you, don't judge a book or iPhone by it's cover, it's what is on the inside that counts, and not to be racist all iPhone's are equal, love thy apple

Reubania
13th December 2008, 11:34 AM
I wanted a black 16GB and queued up for hours on launch day to get one. They ran out of 16GB black phones so I grabbed a white one instead - couldn't go away empty handed.

No. I was determined to get a black one. And after queueing up for hours, they had *just* sold out of the 16GB black one....so I gave it 3 seconds thought and bought the 8GB black one. I wasn't

a) leaving the store without an iPhone, and
b) wasn't leaving it without it being black
:cool:

Narooma
13th December 2008, 12:57 PM
No. I was determined to get a black one. And after queueing up for hours, they had *just* sold out of the 16GB black one....so I gave it 3 seconds thought and bought the 8GB black one. I wasn't

a) leaving the store without an iPhone, and
b) wasn't leaving it without it being black
:cool:

I have a 16gb black but I would have been happy with a 8gb.

All these people hanging out for a 32gb iPhone I dont understand. I have had a 1gen and 2gen touch both in 32gb and it's just overkill.

ClockWork
13th December 2008, 01:11 PM
Decisions... decisions... the agony of choice...

iva
13th December 2008, 01:35 PM
I don't get why people think white will discolour. It's not the same plastic material as the inside of the white Macbooks, which is what I presume people are basing this opinion on. The white iPhone is like the harder, shinier outside shell of white Macbooks, and I haven't heard of one discolouring yet. It's not an absorbent material at all.

White or black? Personal preference. I thought I wanted the black, but when I actually saw them, the fingerprints and smudges showed up something awful on the black.

For people put who put them in cases, I don't understand why all the agonising. You can't see the back anyway!

Glompbot
13th December 2008, 02:17 PM
If your a boy get black.

But... I got the black one :(

Also, black goes better with my macbook :)

White just screams 'I'm a wanker, I have an iphone' black is more about subdued class.

Its like white pants.... you just don't do it!

dolbinau
13th December 2008, 04:43 PM
White just screams 'I'm a wanker, I have an iphone' black is more about subdued class.

lol IDK. A lot of people don't even know iPhone comes in white, and I don't think it makes a difference in subtly at all :-/

wolfie
13th December 2008, 05:07 PM
ive owned both
and i very much prefer the white.

Syrecx
13th December 2008, 09:00 PM
bought two but agrees with the fact that more girls will go white and more guys will go for black.

Black is always cool..

Polllllllll please!

Beau
13th December 2008, 10:25 PM

LOL. My piercer didn't ask, she just did the left side. not that it matters of course.

scruffie
13th December 2008, 10:35 PM
I like white - and it matches the colour of my apples. But then i didn't have enough money and i got a black 8 gigger instead.

motef
14th December 2008, 01:37 PM
I got black because my wife got white!

Easier to tell whose is who!

LevMac
14th December 2008, 08:23 PM
I got a black one originally, then saw a few of my friends with white ones, so I bit the bullet and bought a white one as well, call me crazy I know, but that's just the die hard Apple fanboy I am :D

Tom125
14th December 2008, 09:05 PM
I have white and love it. It matches my white macbook. :)

But, I doubt you'll find anyone who got one and wishes they got the other. Go with the one you prefer and you'll love it.

Reubania
17th December 2008, 06:20 PM
My partner got his iPhone today. He contemplated getting the white one, so he could differentiate his from mine...but got the black one, because it's SEXIER. Full stop. There's no more debate about it. ;)

Narooma
17th December 2008, 06:53 PM
Is it true that the white ones are more prone to cracking?

gareth
17th December 2008, 07:04 PM
Is it true that the white ones are more prone to cracking?

cracks are more noticeable on the white phones

im sure they are the same plastic. :)

Reubania
17th December 2008, 07:08 PM
cracks are more noticeable on the white phones

im sure they are the same plastic. :)

I would agree with you on this. Seems logical. Consider the white and black MacBooks. The cracks were quite noticeable on the white MacBooks. I am sure the plastic black ones cracked, but can you get a decent photo of it as evidence? I think not. Case closed. :p

nando
18th December 2008, 09:18 AM
i have the white since the opening...though it would be more unique and was proving correct as everyone at work has black only!..it looks very nice..
wife then got an iphone couple of months later...she got the black..hmm...white looks very sweeet! :D
but then again...u can get a gela skin..and u wont be able to tell what color u have!

AfterBurner_1
18th December 2008, 11:43 AM
bugger the iPhone
and i'm sorry to say that they while cool and fun just dont cut the mustard.

a decent Nokia or HP smartphone will do the job and be absolutely dependable (depends on network of course)

Narooma
18th December 2008, 11:47 AM
I've had my fill of nokias and crackberrys......never again. IMO the iPhone shits on all the competition at the moment.

Phase
18th December 2008, 11:47 AM
bugger the iPhone
and i'm sorry to say that they while cool and fun just dont cut the mustard.

In what way?

If you're going to make stupid statements, at least add some context to them.