PDA

View Full Version : Pov battery

xxreebeexx
11th December 2008, 03:41 PM
Hi guys, i'm not sure if im doing something wrong or if i should take my iphone in to get fixed, ive noticed lately that my battery life is really bad, i charged it from about 12pm yesterday till 12am today after it died and now at 4.30pm today its already down to halfway used and ive only hit the home button twice today to check the battery life, also when i charge it, it doesnt do that thing the ipod does (you know when the charging bar goes up the little battery on the main screen) it just stays as a battery that appears fuller when you check it. If this sounds like something i'll have to go in and get fixed is this covered under the warranty and where do I go to? the sydney mac store? back to telstra where i purchased it from?

Any help much appreciated, its totally annoying charging it every few days when i only use it for texting and sometimes calls

chrsha01
11th December 2008, 04:05 PM
Have a look at this thread, it gives many handy tips in helping the battery life last longer.:)

http://forums.mactalk.com.au/53/56013-iphone-battery-tips.html

Getting the Most out of one Cycle

Brightness
This is one of the biggest battery eaters. When you are in-doors, full brightness is not necessary. Try and keep it about 50% brightness inside or lower, and when outside, try and keep it below 100% if possible (obviously not over ). The brightness can be adjusted on your iPhone under: Settings > Brightness.

3G Off
3G loads data faster, but decreases battery life. It even says it in settings. If 3G is not available where you are, turn it off. If it is available but you are not using any data, turn it off. 3G is only an advantage when loading data, therefore it is not necessary when you are listening to music, watching a movie or using any other non-data apps. So, you guessed it, turn it off. 3G can be switched on/off under: Settings > Network then tapping the on/off switch next to 3G.

Wi-Fi
I couldn't believe how much more I got out of my battery when I switched off Wi-Fi when I wasn't using it. When you are in a Wi-Fi area, it is faster than 3G and doesn't use as much battery so use it. But, if you are out and about in the car or at school, switch it off. When Wi-Fi is on, even if you aren't downloading/uploading any data, your iPhone is always searching for networks around you which sucks up your battery pretty fast. Wi-Fi options can be changed under: Settings > Wi-Fi.

Turn off Bluetooth
Bluetooth in the iPhone is useless if you don't connect it to your car or headset, so turn it off under network settings when not in use.

Limit 3rd Party App usage
Excessive use of applications such as games that prevent the screen from dimming or shutting off or applications that use location services can reduce battery life.

Minimize use of location services
Apps that actively use location services such as Maps may reduce battery life. To turn off location services, go to Settings > General > Location Services or use location services only when needed.

Push
Applications such as Mail can be set to fetch data wirelessly at specific intervals. The more frequently email or other data is fetched, the quicker your battery may drain. To fetch new data manually, from the Home screen choose Settings > Fetch New Data and tap Manually. To increase the fetch interval, go to Settings > Fetch New Data and tap Hourly. Note that this is a global setting and applies to all applications that do not support push services.

Let It Breathe!
Charging your iPhone while in certain carrying cases may generate excess heat, which can affect battery capacity. If you notice that your iPhone gets hot when you charge it, take it out of its case first. Also, using iPhone in hot environments (30+ degrees) can drain the battery faster than in cooler areas.

Turn off EQ
Applying an equalizer setting to song playback on your iPhone can decrease battery life. To turn EQ off, go to Settings > iPod > EQ and tap Off. Note that if you’ve added EQ to songs directly in iTunes, you’ll need to set EQ on iPhone to Flat in order to have the same effect as Off because iPhone keeps your iTunes settings intact. Go to Settings > iPod > EQ and tap Flat.

Just lock it
When you are finished using your phone for the time being, lock it instead of just leaving it on the Home screen. Everything helps. Also, make sure you use the auto-lock feature and set it to the lowest amount of time possible.

Keep up to date
Apple are always trying to work on extending the battery life of the iPhone, so be sure to check for iPhone updates in iTunes regularly.

xxreebeexx
11th December 2008, 04:14 PM
I've already done all those suggestions and still, battery life is being sucked away, i lock it of a night and 10 hours later half the battery is gone

mallo
11th December 2008, 05:01 PM
is your iphone jailbroken?

xxreebeexx
11th December 2008, 05:49 PM
im not sure what that is but i got it on a plan with telstra...legitimately, oh and battery life is now less than half and i've still not used it

tcn33
11th December 2008, 06:13 PM
Push enabled? Fetch email set to check hourly or more often?

mallo
11th December 2008, 06:41 PM
im not sure what that is but i got it on a plan with telstra...legitimately, oh and battery life is now less than half and i've still not used it

If you don't know what it is, its safe to assume that it is not. Jailbreaking is a process that allows you to then install apps that apple has not approved.

I asked, as when I jailbroke, my batter life dropped to about 2hrs.

I could never work out what it was I was installing that was causing it, but I tried a few times, and everytime i jailbroke, battery life dropped, soon as I restored to stock, it was fine.

Anyway, this does not really help you. as you are not jailbroken. Sorry