PDA

View Full Version : Mac consumer video camcorder support now inferior to Windows?

michal
10th December 2008, 02:02 PM
Is Apple abandoning camcorder users?

Not only are MPEG2 camcorder poorly supported (this is all I have experience with other than MiniDV), since they have dropped firewire on the new MacBooks it means that it is impossible to make one click DVD's with iDVD.

This can only be accomplished with MiniDV based cameras and even though you'd expect it was MUCH simple with MPEG2 based video cameras this is not supported. Am I missing something? Is Apple falling behind? Is the next iteration of iDVD likely to support this?

I find it very frustrating. Sorry for the rant.

rpjallan
10th December 2008, 02:05 PM

Yes!!!

jeremy_warnock
10th December 2008, 02:11 PM
Most new consumer camcorders use usb not firewire. Only people with some idea would use minidv over hdd and flash types but those guys usual know what they are buying. For most people they will think that hdd or flash camers look fancy and will produced great results and most will even with their heavily compressed codecs but they also support usb.

What apple are doing is leaving th eaverge joe with his older camera out in the cold saying time to upgrade

People looking for real hd will use firewire and most likely be in the market for mbp

michal
11th December 2008, 10:56 AM
So you're saying it's the pro's who are more likely to want/use/need a feature like one-click DVD creation? I don't buy that. It seems like laziness on Apple's part given that such a feature would be significantly easier to implement on one of the cheap USB camcorders (ie no transcoding necessary).

I don't actually have any problem with the cheap cameras. Sue the picture is worse on the MPEG2 cameras than it was with MiniDV but they're much more practical for many people and that can be worth more than picture quality. Average quality video beats no video in my mind. Besides, it's not Apple who control the availability of decent cheap cameras, though they DO control the software which ultimately decides how useful they are.

Sorry, I can't help but rant about this as it's such a simple thing for Apple to fix. I truly hope iLife 09 comes out soon and iDVD can deal with USB cameras better.

michal
11th December 2008, 11:01 AM
Furthermore, people who use even high end HD camcorders are still going to be using USB2. I think many of these users would still be interested in One Click DVD's though I'm pretty sure that feature only works via FireWire.

poppet
11th December 2008, 11:05 AM
I am not sure where all this leaves me.

I've got a black macbook that I use with my hd mini dv camera. Its uses firewire. We would love to get an imac but I would love it to have bluray support etc so that I can back up some of my larger home movies completely to one disc rather than have them stored only on external drives.

It's a shame that they couldn't offer firewire as an optional extra but I am praying that they don't take firewire out of the imac's.

Not only are MPEG2 camcorder poorly supported (this is all I have experience with other than MiniDV), since they have dropped firewire on the new MacBooks it means that it is impossible to make one click DVD's with iDVD.

This can only be accomplished with MiniDV based cameras and even though you'd expect it was MUCH simple with MPEG2 based video cameras this is not supported. Am I missing something? Is Apple falling behind? Is the next iteration of iDVD likely to support this?

I find it very frustrating. Sorry for the rant.

rpjallan
11th December 2008, 04:30 PM
It's a shame that they couldn't offer firewire as an optional extra but I am praying that they don't take firewire out of the imac's.

Well, if they don't they are being very inconsistent. But it won't be that long and we'll find out I guess...

elastic_band
11th December 2008, 05:24 PM
I am praying that they don't take firewire out of the imac's.

Apple decided two USB ports would benefit more people than one firewire 400 and one USB port.
As the new design could not fit all three ports.

firewire 400 might be removed from the iMac/MacPro but not firewire 800.

Apple are not killing firewire, they are simply dropping firewire 400.

blakat
11th December 2008, 05:32 PM
Apple decided two USB ports would benefit more people than one firewire 400 and one USB port.
As the new design could not fit all three ports.

firewire 400 might be removed from the iMac/MacPro but not firewire 800.

Which is fine, because you just get a FW 800/400 conversion cable.

jeremy_warnock
11th December 2008, 05:37 PM
Furthermore, people who use even high end HD camcorders are still going to be using USB2. I think many of these users would still be interested in One Click DVD's though I'm pretty sure that feature only works via FireWire.

Dont forget idvd '08 is over a year old. Perhaps wait and see how idvd 09 handles the one click feature.

rpjallan
11th December 2008, 05:55 PM

Well, they've killed it on the MacBook!

michal
12th December 2008, 09:34 AM
Dont forget idvd '08 is over a year old. Perhaps wait and see how idvd 09 handles the one click feature.

That is my only hope. When does the new release traditionally come out?

rpjallan
12th December 2008, 09:36 AM

Well, they skipped '07 so don't be surprised if they skip '09 also...

Phase
12th December 2008, 09:37 AM

There's no real set date, the last one was at a 'special event'.

Possible you'll at least see a 'hands on' at Mac World, with it shipping with Snow leopard, whenever that is, possibly February, at the earliest.

dolbinau
12th December 2008, 09:38 AM
Well, they've killed it on the MacBook!

Form over function, it seems.

fompsweeva
12th December 2008, 09:38 AM
I think they'll refresh iLife pretty soon - they kind of have to, with all of their movie applications based around firewire it really takes value out of the iLife package.

dolbinau
12th December 2008, 09:40 AM
[Threadjack], has there been a MacWorld where Apple have not introduced new hardware?

Japester
12th December 2008, 09:43 AM

The MacBook has limited space and power requirements that are not an issue with the iMac. It would not surprise me if the next version had only one or two FireWire 800 ports, but as someone mentioned earlier, this simply means that either 400 (with adapter) or 800 can be used on the one port.

Japester
12th December 2008, 09:44 AM
I think they'll refresh iLife pretty soon - they kind of have to, with all of their movie applications based around firewire it really takes value out of the iLife package.

Macworld 2009 is the most appropriate time to launch iLife 09. In my opinion, the lack of a refresh of the Mini and iMac late this year points to a refresh in January. Logically, iLife would be part of that. In the past, January was used a few times to launch iLife updates. 08 was an exception.

michal
7th January 2009, 07:04 AM
So iLife got a regresh, but no noticable updates to iDVD, making it relatively VERY difficult for non-technical people (like my parents) to go from MPEG2 camcorder to DVD.

Major fail in that respect :/