PDA

View Full Version : iPhone Security Certificate

nigel
9th December 2008, 09:46 PM
OK iPhone experts!

Has anyone found a way of installing a security certificate on to an iPhone without traversing public infrastructure.

The enterprise guide only allows emailing the certificate or installing via a webpage over wireless. My security section is a bit security conscious about that.

Thanks,
Nigel

vecsty
15th December 2008, 05:25 PM
----------------

nigel
15th December 2008, 08:59 PM
They just don't like the idea of the security certificate travelling across a public insecure pathway i.e. email

And since we can't have wireless access point, it's going to be tricky getting the thing installed.

Maybe I could SSH it across..but I suspect jailbreaking would be frowned upon as well...

vecsty
15th December 2008, 09:04 PM
----------------

Exocet
15th December 2008, 09:11 PM
Does your exchange server have a certificate-server? Could somebody in the office set up a secure ad-hoc wifi network - surely at least one device in the office has wireless.

nigel
15th December 2008, 09:18 PM
Oh all of our laptops have wireless, they just don't want an access point plugged in.

State police environment, they're a bit paranoid....well I can't talk, I'm the regional IT manager......

Exocet
15th December 2008, 09:27 PM
No need for an access point plugged in - run an ad-hoc network between a single laptop and your iPhone. Completely disconnect that laptop from the rest of the organisation's network, and ensure that WPA encryption is used for it.

EDIT: Wait, state police? Tell them to to stop using self-signed certificates and spring for Trusted Third Party...surely the budget allows for it?

nigel
15th December 2008, 09:31 PM
No, sorry not self signed. We run Verisign certs (with eTokens on the NextG laptops). That said, we're setting up our own cert servers next year for a smartcard project.

A budget?? haha...that's funny....state not federal :)

Exocet
15th December 2008, 09:59 PM
If its a verisign certificate surely it would already be installed on the iPhone?