PDA

View Full Version : Strange alu Macbook Pro problem...

dawsman
9th December 2008, 02:30 PM
I have a software issue with my new Macbook Pro, specifically related to my Windows XP bootcamp partition, and caused by VMware 2.1 me thinks...

OS X seems to have been freezing up on me a lot lately when my virtual machine is running. After the last freeze and the resulting reeboot by holding the power button down, I've had the following issues:

1. Whenever I download a file via Internet Explorer either in the virtual machine or natively in bootcamp, the dialog box dissappears immediately after the download and the filename of the downloaded file is truncated to 8 characters. The file is still readable and useable.

2. Adobe Acrobat 8 and Adobe Reader 8 no longer work. Even repairs, and complete reinstalls don't fix the problem.

3. MS Office 2003 is now asking for reactivation in bootcamp. However, it is still activated within the virtual machine.

When I first booted into bootcamp after the last freeze, chkdsk needed to run and it cleaned up a large number of index entries in the file system. This happened on a fairly regular basis (even before the above problems) and chkdsk always "deleted index entry in Index $I30" for a number of files. The files are usually those created while using the virtual machine (i.e. downloaded files, Internet Explorer temporary files etc...).

Has anyone experienced any similar problems? I've tried a few things like recopying the system files (sfc /scannnow), repairing office, reinstalling VMware tools in the virtual machine, reinstalling service packs etc... but to no avail.

Would appreciate any advice.

purana
9th December 2008, 02:48 PM
Run a memory check, sounds like the system is having a hiccup when lots of memory resources are in use. I can use the entire 4Gb of my system pretty much with multiple VMware Fusion Guests running... If your getting lock ups when lots of memory is being used, maybe the issue is hardware. aka memory itself.

Brains
9th December 2008, 04:32 PM
dawsman, it sounds like something has managed to make a mess of your Windows install's Registry Hive (which, for reasons only known to Microsoft, is scattered across over a dozen files). In your shoes, I would basically start a'fresh -- move all of your data off the Windows partition that you want or need, then reformat and re-install Windows.

Arduous, I know, but I think it is needed. Oh, and before you actually start using your new install of Windows + Office + other essential apps, use WinClone (http://twocanoes.com/winclone/) (an OSX program) to back up your Boot Camp partition.

MissionMan
9th December 2008, 04:43 PM
I have a software issue with my new Macbook Pro, specifically related to my Windows XP bootcamp partition, and caused by VMware 2.1 me thinks...

OS X seems to have been freezing up on me a lot lately when my virtual machine is running. After the last freeze and the resulting reeboot by holding the power button down, I've had the following issues:

1. Whenever I download a file via Internet Explorer either in the virtual machine or natively in bootcamp, the dialog box dissappears immediately after the download and the filename of the downloaded file is truncated to 8 characters. The file is still readable and useable.

2. Adobe Acrobat 8 and Adobe Reader 8 no longer work. Even repairs, and complete reinstalls don't fix the problem.

3. MS Office 2003 is now asking for reactivation in bootcamp. However, it is still activated within the virtual machine.

When I first booted into bootcamp after the last freeze, chkdsk needed to run and it cleaned up a large number of index entries in the file system. This happened on a fairly regular basis (even before the above problems) and chkdsk always "deleted index entry in Index $I30" for a number of files. The files are usually those created while using the virtual machine (i.e. downloaded files, Internet Explorer temporary files etc...).

Has anyone experienced any similar problems? I've tried a few things like recopying the system files (sfc /scannnow), repairing office, reinstalling VMware tools in the virtual machine, reinstalling service packs etc... but to no avail.

Would appreciate any advice.

Are you running aftermarket ram?

dawsman
9th December 2008, 09:28 PM
Brains: Thanks. It's interesting you mention the registry. I recently installed Registry Mechanic on the bootcamp partition, I wonder if that has caused the issues. Are registry entries changed between the virtual machine and bootcamp? Reg Mechanic might have "fixed" something that screwed up my bootcamp installation.

Missionman: I'm running 4GB of Kingston memory. I have been suspecting this as the cause of my freezing issues, but when I was under the original 2GB (Hynix) I never ran my virtual machine constantly so I can't be sure if I would have the same freezing issues under the original RAM. I might swap back at some point and see what happens (after runnning with the 4GB WITHOUT the VM running for a while).

It's funny that Microsoft software (Windows XP, Office 2003, and even Mac Office 2008!) has been causing my only issues with my Macbook. Maybe I should consider keeping it Microsoft-free and just use the old (but new) VAIO for Windows stuff.

Thanks for your advice Brains and Missionman. Brains, you've helped me a few times already and you certainly live up to your nickname (or is it your real name :p)

MissionMan
9th December 2008, 09:37 PM
I've also had some random freezing issue, but I'm running other after market ram, not kingston. It's seems a little suspicious that more than one brand of after market would have the same issue. It's also not the first time I've heard of this (other than mine) although mine hasn't happened for about a week now. I'm hoping it's not a major problem with the new MacBook pro's.

dawsman
9th December 2008, 10:48 PM
Purana: thanks also for your response. I ran a memory check when I first started experience the freezing issues. All okay according to the utility.

dawsman
10th December 2008, 11:32 PM
My first night without the VM running, and my Macbook Pro has frozen... twice. Extremely annoying. So it looks like Fusion 2.1 is not the culprit. I'm pretty sure it's the RAM now... will try the factory 2GB Hynix RAM for a while when I get a chance to swap it out.

Anyone who has the factory 4GB RAM: Is it also Hynix, and if so, any freezing issues? If it is Hynix, and if no freezing issues, I would be very tempted to fork out the cash for 4GB of Hynix RAM to replace my Kingston RAM.

MissionMan
11th December 2008, 10:01 AM
Did it happen in low graphics mode or high graphics mode?

It happened to me twice last week but hasn't happened again since then. I found some issues with it freezing when I went to the lower graphics mode as well, but since I switched it back, it hasn't happened again.

dawsman
11th December 2008, 08:01 PM
Missionman: How can you tell whether it's in "high" or "low" graphics mode? Is this referring to one vs both Nvidia chips?

I haven't changed the setting since I purchased it. How do you change it?

Cheers

DaveOZ
11th December 2008, 08:16 PM
Under System Prefs|Energy Saver. Top of page. Graphics mode.

dawsman
12th December 2008, 10:26 PM
Thanks DaveOZ. I wonder why high graphics mode isn't the default setting? I changed my setting to "high" and went into a Word 2008 document I previously worked on which contains a lot of figures, and scrolling through the document was much smoother than before.

MissionMan: I'll post back if I have less freezing issues in high graphics mode (or not).

dawsman
30th December 2008, 08:01 PM
I have been running on high graphics mode since the last post (2-3 weeks) with no freezing problems whatsoever.

However, due to the recent EFI Firmware update which reports to fix freezing issues associated with upgrading with aftermarket RAM, I'm going to switch back to low graphics and see how it goes.

Regarding the other issues, I've reinstalled (clean) Windows on my bootcamp partition. Hopefully I don't run into similar issues in the future!

dawsman
31st December 2008, 06:53 PM
However, due to the recent EFI Firmware update which reports to fix freezing issues associated with upgrading with aftermarket RAM, I'm going to switch back to low graphics and see how it goes.

Hmmm... just froze up and had vertical lines across the top of my screen, like the issue mentioned in this thread:

http://forums.mactalk.com.au/29/61464-macbook-pro-late-2008-random-freezing-issue.html

So it appears the freezing issues have not been fixed with the new firmware update :thumbdn: