PDA

View Full Version : MBA: USB>Ethernet via powered USB hub?

dche5390
9th December 2008, 08:02 AM
So I've made the jump from a Mb to a MBA. The single USB port is my primary concern.

As my wireless internet reception at home is at times non-existent due to interference, I've been using a homeplug of late. However, the MBA has only one precious USB port and I daisy chain a Logitech powered USB hub so that I get 4 ports instead of the measly one.

My question is, will the ethernet adapter work when tethered to a USB hub (powered)?

Cheers,
Dan

Byrd
9th December 2008, 08:58 AM
Yes it'll work fine :) It's getting the power it needs and having other devices plugged into the hub shouldn't cause any issues.

JB

dche5390
9th December 2008, 09:15 AM
Thanks JB, I shall see if I need to justify the cost of the adapter as I'd like to keep my set of homeplugs.

Brains
9th December 2008, 12:33 PM
Whilst you can use Apple's adaptor, there are several third-party USB-to-ethernet adaptors available that use the same chip as the Apple one, and will work without the need for drivers. They're about half the price of Apple's too.

Check this page (http://www.sustworks.com/site/news_usb_ethernet.html) out.

af3556
9th December 2008, 01:25 PM
I regularly use an Apple USB ethernet and computer-fair USB serial adaptor simultaneously on an unpowered 4-port hub. The USB ethernet seems to not require much power at all.