PDA

View Full Version : iBook G4 suspected HardDrive troubles

iThinkMac
7th December 2008, 02:09 PM
Hi folks,

I have been given an iBook to look at as it won't boot up. Apparently it powered down, or should I say, just crashed, when they were browsing some photos in iPhoto. They tried to start it, and it just made some interesting sounds, and wouldn't boot up. So I got it, and it won't start - that is, it will turn on, but won't even get to the apple logo on the startup sequence. So I'm suspecting the HardDrive. Would you guys say so? Oh, and it won't mount on another machine in Target mode.

If it is the HardDrive, any idea on the cost of a replacement? I think it's an 80Gig HD.

Thanks guys,
~iTM

ClockWork
7th December 2008, 02:26 PM
Can it boot off its iBook Mac OS X Installer, and using Disk Utility, can it be seen?

Do you have access to other troubleshooting discs, such as Disk Warrior?

If not, try booting it up in Verbose Mode: press the power button and immediately hold down: :cmd: and V keys on keyboard.

This should make the screen change to black with white text. Allow the text to scroll for a while.
At the end, it may start producing a repeating message. Take note of this message, and post it back here.

Also try booting in Single User Mode: Press the Power button and immediately hold down: :cmd: and S keys on keyboard.

Wait for black screen and white text. Should end in: root#

then type:

/sbin/fsck -fy

and press return key

does it find a problem and can it repair it?

(To get out of Verbose Mode and Single User Mode, just hold down the Power button for 6 seconds.)

iThinkMac
7th December 2008, 03:15 PM
Ok, first thing - Disk Utility in disc boot mode. No, the HardDrive cannot be seen. I don't have access to Disc Warrior, but I do have data rescue, so I'll try with that - although it might not be THAT helpful here.

Ok, so I'm pretty sure it's the drive then - wouldn't you say? Where's the best place to by a replacement drive - the people I'm dealing with are on a budget so a cheaper one would be great (still want quality, just after a happy medium).

~iTM

ClockWork
7th December 2008, 03:23 PM
And in Verbose Mode / Single User Mode... what happens?

iThinkMac
7th December 2008, 03:40 PM
^Refuses to boot into Verbose or Single User mode. Just nothing happens. It just sits there prior to the apple logo in the start-up sequence. The only thing that does work (apart from disc boot) is Cmd+Option+O+F.

ClockWork
7th December 2008, 04:46 PM
I'd be inclined to run Data Rescue over it real soon.

It could be the HD.... but what if your mates spilt something down the keyboard but omitted to tell you this?

iThinkMac
7th December 2008, 09:02 PM
Hmmm...well, I actually know the people very well (for about 10 years), and they're very careful with that sort of thing, so I'm about 99.9% sure they wouldn't have done anything they wouldn't have told me about. They're very honest people. I'm becoming more and more convinced it is the hard drive. I'll treat it as such for now, and if I can retrieve the data from that drive.

I'll keep you in the loop. :)

~iTM

iThinkMac
8th December 2008, 12:04 PM
One quick question: I can't remember how to boot PPC macs into the Hardware Test feature from the CD. What key do I press, and which disc will it be?

Thanks,
iTM

iThinkMac
8th December 2008, 01:22 PM
Any ideas???

Wally
8th December 2008, 01:24 PM
One quick question: I can't remember how to boot PPC macs into the Hardware Test feature from the CD. What key do I press, and which disc will it be?

Thanks,
iTM

It'll be on the first install disc. If you read the disc it should say press and hold D for diagnostics :)

Wally

iThinkMac
8th December 2008, 01:30 PM
Thanks Wally. Ok, thought it may have been the first disc, however, I'm not sure about it being the "D" key. I thought that was only for Intel macs, and PPC macs you held the "C" key down. Right???

stewiesno1
8th December 2008, 08:30 PM
Holding down the "C " key will let you boot from the CD.
To bootup from the internal disk on a non-Intel Mac if the default boot device has been set to
something else, hold down the D key while the Mac starts up ( not likely with a laptop if there is not an external drive attached ).

Stewie