PDA

View Full Version : Which mobile for my needs?

Bluemist
7th December 2008, 01:00 PM
Well after years of drooling over the iphone- once it got here (although still drooling) I decided not to rush out and buy it.
However I have had my mobile phone for ages (actually its my one and only mobile phone) and it's about to die I think...so I am looking at a few options.

I am wanting something that will let me synchronise/transfer my address and phone numbers from ical to the phone.

Would love to do the same with the actual calendar but realise that's probably only a reality for Iphone.

Is it worth getting an iphone (am worried about the cost- can I justify it- I have a small business and am not $$$-I woulnd't use internet/email that much I don't imagine- although as it would be easier with the iphone possibly would!)

Can anyone recommend something that will do at least the first point?

Also is it better to buy the imphone outright or be on a plan? I currently use prepaid.

TIA

Bluemist.

fiark
7th December 2008, 01:04 PM
If you can afford it - go the iPhone - I doubt you will be disappointed and the longer I have mine the more often I can justify the price.

I got mine on a $35 plan - which is perfect for me.

Keep in mind, that the software on the iPhone can and will be upgraded - perhaps not so much with other phones.

feeze
7th December 2008, 01:07 PM
My old Sony Ericcson phone used to able to do both points with no problems.

Here is a list of iSync compatible phones;

iSync: Supported mobile phones in Mac OS X 10.4, 10.5 (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2824)

wabbit
7th December 2008, 01:20 PM
Id say its far cheaper getting the phone on a plan. My iPhone plan is the same price as my previous plan difference being i get 700Mb/month to play with. I pay $168 total for the handset over 24 months, I never understand why people believe the iPhone costs so much :)

To answer your question about syncing your address book & calendar entries... Yes it couldn't be easier with the iphone.

Bluemist
7th December 2008, 07:42 PM
If you can afford it - go the iPhone - I doubt you will be disappointed and the longer I have mine the more often I can justify the price.

I got mine on a $35 plan - which is perfect for me.

Keep in mind, that the software on the iPhone can and will be upgraded - perhaps not so much with other phones.

A $35 DOLLAR PLAN????I can't find any!!! Where!

Thanks for the link feez- thats wonderful and useful- I currently have a sony ericsson (an OLD one) so least that option is there.

chrsha01
7th December 2008, 07:44 PM
iPhone! iPhone! iPhone! - you won't regret :)

The_Hawk
7th December 2008, 08:06 PM
Nokia 5110 + infra red dongle + Nokia data suite's mac equivalent... wait, it doesn't have a calendar. :P

Seriously though most current phones can do basic calendar and contacts over bluetooth.

Having said that the iPhone is idiot proof and as much as you wont use the internet capabilities... you'll always be using the internet capabilities!

Check the weather, stock prices, google maps/directions, news... the list goes on. I find myself checking things for no other reason than because I can. For someone who doesn't read the paper, I up actually up to date for a change now that I can read the news on the train (or at a staff meeting). And this is comeing from someone who has a laptop and wireless net connection. I do things because they are just so easy :)

kogi
9th December 2008, 07:21 AM
The iphone will do it easy, also have a wiz at the nokia e71.

I can't do without my iphone now. Syncs my google cal over the air so the office can see where I am without having to call me.

My only gripe is that it can't list contacts by business name.

The other thing is it's battery life. If I use it hard. I can run out of juice at about 5pm.

kogi

Tom125
9th December 2008, 07:34 AM
I woulnd't use internet/email that much I don't imagine- although as it would be easier with the iphone possibly would!

You'd definitely use it more than you think you would, especially as you run a small business - not sure what it is, but an iPhone might give you more flexibility to manage your business on the move.

If you want truly easy iCal/Contacts syncing then factor in the cost of MobileMe. Some people don't consider it worth the money just for the syncing but I really do as I know how often I've been caught out by forgetting to sync previous PDA's I've had. MobileMe syncs over the cloud, and a change you make on one device is reflected in the other in minutes.

Bluemist
9th December 2008, 04:09 PM
Ok so is it possible to keep my same number- given that I am currently Optus pre paid?
Sorry if thats a dumb question- not really up with mobiles.

WindowsVista
9th December 2008, 04:46 PM
Ok so is it possible to keep my same number- given that I am currently Optus pre paid?
Sorry if thats a dumb question- not really up with mobiles.

Yes, as long as that number is currently in your name.

Bluemist
9th December 2008, 04:50 PM
Ok thanks I've just been looking at Optus site on iphones...all gibberish to me- there's a 19 cap plan but then they talk about additional monthly fee's for handsets.

Will let you all know if/when? I get one!

WindowsVista
9th December 2008, 05:25 PM
You pay for the plan its self + the phone in montly repayments. E.g First Bill would be $19 (The cap plan) + Phone Repayment (Which would depend if you chose the 8 or 16GB or 12 or 24 month plan). And if you think that's confusing, wait till you get your first bill! Optus are a bitch! Overall though, it's a friggin iPhone so it's worth every cent and minute of your time:)

Tom125
9th December 2008, 08:36 PM
Yes, as long as that number is currently in your name.

Also take a recent bill with you with your account/customer number etc, just in case.