PDA

View Full Version : optus network service issues

jono888
7th December 2008, 11:39 AM
Hi guys, long time reader-1st time poster. Great site.
I've got a 16gb iphone on the Optus network which I have had from day 1 with no network coverage issues to speak of (Moonee Ponds: Melbourne) untill 4 days ago. I now get a constant searching or no service display. Once in a while it will pick up the network but it drops out again soon after. Now I have tried some of the tricks I have read about here: switching to airplane mode then back, taking out sim, switching off, reinstall 2.2 update and even a total wipe (loosing all apps and contacts-arggh...my bad). Optus states that network is fine in my area and that no repair has been undertaken in the last week to cause newtwork disruption. Do I have a defective phone and if so do I take it to optus only to have the network signal magically appear ("sorry sir phone appears to be fine"-just my luck) or to one of the apple stores. And if it picks up a signal while in the store how do I prove there is an issue? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

shiny
7th December 2008, 11:42 AM
Do you have a second phone or a phone you can borrow off a mate, stick your sim in their phone and see if it shows the same behaviour, this should some idea as to if it's a network or phone issue.

jono888
7th December 2008, 11:47 AM
I will try that this afternoon, and reply latter on. Thanks.

chrsha01
7th December 2008, 11:49 AM
Well if the signal "magically" appears whilst in either an Apple or Optus store that rules out any problem with the SIM card or iPhone. (to some extent)

Have you had any previous connection issues in Moonee Ponds before, in particular on the Optus network?

jono888
7th December 2008, 04:39 PM
Ok. Tested sim in another phone. Full signal bars straight away, placed sim back into iPhone and searching.... for 30 mins, finally a signal for 10min then No Service. This is driving me nuts. The issue; network coverage not an issue 'till 4 days ago. Optus 3G Will appear sometimes but then quickly returns to No Signal. If the sim is working in another phone then wont work in iPhone- it has to be the iPhone, does it not??? What next?

Exocet
7th December 2008, 06:08 PM
Try doing a manual network selection. I was at my grandfather's house today (no 3 coverage) and the phone stuck onto Roaming. Even once I returned to good 3G coverage it kept defaulting to Roaming. Searched for available networks, set it to 3...instantly locked.

If that failes, take your iPhone in for repair. Take photos of the phones side by side, one with coverage, the other with nothing.

rachelmay08
16th February 2009, 05:14 PM
:(
Hi guys, long time reader-1st time poster. Great site.
I've got a 16gb iphone on the Optus network which I have had from day 1 with no network coverage issues to speak of (Moonee Ponds: Melbourne) untill 4 days ago. I now get a constant searching or no service display. Once in a while it will pick up the network but it drops out again soon after. Now I have tried some of the tricks I have read about here: switching to airplane mode then back, taking out sim, switching off, reinstall 2.2 update and even a total wipe (loosing all apps and contacts-arggh...my bad). Optus states that network is fine in my area and that no repair has been undertaken in the last week to cause newtwork disruption. Do I have a defective phone and if so do I take it to optus only to have the network signal magically appear ("sorry sir phone appears to be fine"-just my luck) or to one of the apple stores. And if it picks up a signal while in the store how do I prove there is an issue? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

In Reply to this Message i to just bought a 16GB phone and while optus say i should have great coverage at my residence in Country NSW i dont get one bar of signal. and they wont do anything about it. ive tried changing it manually to Telstra but only get a NO ACCESS sign

Sebastianmonty
16th February 2009, 05:25 PM
They should be able to do something about it. Refund surely.
I know with those digusting USB modems, the speed is gross, if you call up Optus,3 or Voda and say that it's too slow they'll say, "Too bad, you signed a contract".
However if you say, "I get no reception WHATSOEVER. It won't connect ever". They will say, " Try again each day for 3 days".
You say," I will" and you do(or do not if you know you will have coverage, but crap coverage and just want a refund).
You call back and say, "tried for 3 days and nothing,I am entitled to a refund"
Give that a shot. I know what you mean, my suburb(which is Sydney outer city) has so many black spots with Optus, but Voda is just one big blackspot.

ZAK248313
16th February 2009, 05:28 PM
OPTUS SUCK

Nothing but service issues- drop outs, GPRS half the time- and I pretty much live in the centre of Sydney.

The customer service is appauling. Constantly transferred to the wrong departments, nothing ever gets solved.

PATHETIC

Sebastianmonty
16th February 2009, 05:42 PM
Yeah but better than Voda, cheaper than Telstra by, for my usage, about 6 times, and 3 is priced high for their iPhone prepaid bundles also.

scruffie
18th February 2009, 11:08 AM
Mate i just moved to Moonee Ponds and I am getting a similar problem. I'm currently watching switch from perfect optus 3g reception, searching, and no service in a space of a few minutes. Im seriously thinking of moving to telstra :(

melbmac
18th February 2009, 04:04 PM
So far, the only way I can sum up optus is to say you get what you pay for, and they are cheap.

scruffie
18th February 2009, 05:17 PM
Well I've put in my telstra prepaid. I think there's something wrong with my iPhone where it has a little brain fart every now and again, loses the network and then reconnects back. I'm sitting in the same location. It appears that the Telstra reconnect is a lot speedier. Often with Optus itll just get stuck on the "no service" thing. I should probably go to the Apple store to get it repaired but I'm sure my iPhone will be all happy and work properly when i try to demonstrate the error.

Oh i did a speed test as well. Call me a traitorous whore, but i love telstra! I haven't got this kind of speed with any other cell net work that i've used.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3433/3290039048_497d0dcbda_o.png http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3662/3289221143_e1b8e54aa7_o.png

macnwindows
18th February 2009, 09:59 PM
I have been getting this many times lately. Optus is cheaper but crap.

http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp50/h4himanshu/photo.jpg

drzeus
18th February 2009, 10:23 PM
Oh i did a speed test as well. Call me a traitorous whore, but i love telstra! I haven't got this kind of speed with any other cell net work that i've used.

No argument there. Thanks to their prices, they certainly don't have many subscribers, especially of the leaching variety sucking their bandwidth dry so their network is nice and speedy.

There was a time when Three was super fast on 3G broadband but thanks to their great value for money plans they have exponentially increased their subscribers many times overs in just last 2years thus network performance consequently declined almost inversely to their massive subscriber growth.

gikku
19th February 2009, 01:11 PM
1061kbps from Optus !! wow, I wish I could get some of that.
just 161kbps here

mattDC5R
19th February 2009, 07:08 PM
im thinking along the same lines as gikku, tho i did get ~1200k when i did a test one day. guess something lined up right that day.

my phone does decide to loose the network occasionally too, power cycle it and it returms to full signal so im guessing its a phone thing for me, 3G iphone that is.