PDA

View Full Version : A-MSN Appearing offline

vallibrig
5th December 2008, 01:00 PM
:confused:
I Like using A-MSN; have been for 2 years.

For the last 2 months or so , when ever I log in my status appears as OFFLINE to 90% of my contacts.
Only a very few can see me as online (1/20).

I have ensured that
1. I am set to online
2. I dont log in as appear offline
3. I have deleted A-MSN ; followed the prompts on their site to completely delete it (not just drag it into the trash from applications folder)

I have tried 'Adium' and its the same issue. Yahoo Messenger works fine.

Does anyone know how to resolve this (at the Imac end and or a link to MSN to tell them that I have this issue)

Thanks to all.

iCameron
5th December 2008, 01:10 PM
This may not be a aMSN problem.

I've also had some problems with contacts saying im offline, even when im not..

Maybe it's the messenger service?

but 90%... that's pretty bad. = /

vallibrig
5th December 2008, 01:33 PM
Yeah, that is bad. Ill have to email MSN, i guess if anyone knows the right link to use that would help.
Or If they have got help back in relation to this issue.

walabe
11th December 2008, 03:18 PM
when ever i open msn i send out a file to ppl on my contacts list its some virus im sure but dont no how to stop it !!

basseyy
11th December 2008, 03:45 PM
amsn is not nearly as good as Adium - maybe give adium a try

ford.boy
11th December 2008, 05:07 PM
I've had this problem in windows with MSN as well. So I don't think it's aMSN's problem.

vallibrig
12th December 2008, 08:48 AM
Hi all,
I appreciate all your replies. I wrote to MSN and they gave me this reply.... its their official answer (though it hasnt resolved the issue).
I have posted it as it 'may' help someone - p.s. pls dont have a go at me (LOL) its what they sent me.
----------------------------

Thank you for contacting MSN Messenger Technical Support. My name is Manny and I will be glad to assist you with your concern.

Based on the information I received, I understand that you are signing in as online but you are seen by your contacts as offline. You mentioned that you have just installed Microsoft Office. I realize this must be a huge inconvenience for you. Please know that I will help resolve this problem in the quickest way possible.

Khurram, it is possible that the contact is on your MSN Messenger block list. It is also possible that you have been deleted from your contact's contact list and allow list. There may also be temporary server issues. What we can do is you can verify the status of both you and your contact on each other's contact list. Here's how:

1. Verify that you and your contact are not on each other's block lists:

a. Sign in to MSN Messenger.

b. On the MSN Messenger menu, click Preferences.

c. Click Privacy, and then click Personal.

d. Verify that your contact does not appear on the block list.

e. To move a contact to the allow list, click the contact on the block list, and then click Allow.

f. Ask your contact to follow steps a through d.
2. Verify that you and your contact have not been deleted from each other's contact lists. If all your contacts are online but appear to be offline, go to step

b. See whether your contact appears in the main MSN Messenger window. If the contact appears in the main MSN Messenger window, go to step c. If the contact does not appear in the main MSN Messenger window, go to step g.

c. On the MSN Messenger menu, click Preferences.

d. Click Privacy, and then click Personal.

e. Verify that your contact appears on the allow list.

f. Ask your contact to follow steps a through e.

g. If you or your contact is not on each other's contact lists, follow these steps:

g-1. In the main MSN Messenger window, click Add at the top of your contact list.

g-2. In the Add a Contact dialog box, select whether you want to add an existing contact from your address book or create a new contact from an e-mail address, and then click Next.

g-3. Follow the instructions in the wizard.

A contact that you add to your contact list must have a Windows Live ID. If your contact does not have a Windows Live ID, you can use MSN Messenger to send the contact an e-mail invitation to sign up for MSN Messenger. A contact that has a Hotmail e-mail address already has a Windows Live ID.

3. Remove all contacts, and then add them again:

b. On the File menu, click Save Contact List, and then save your contact list on your computer.

c. In the main MSN Messenger window, CONTROL-click a contact, click Delete Contact, and then click Yes.

d. Repeat step c for each of your contacts.

e. On the File menu, click Import Contacts from a Saved File, and then click the contact list that you saved on your computer. The next time that your contacts sign in to MSN Messenger, they will receive a request to add you to their contact lists.

4. If you can exchange instant messages with a contact whose status appears as "Offline," sign out of Messenger, and then sign in again. Also ask your contact to sign out of MSN Messenger and sign in again.

5. If you can still exchange instant messages with the contact, but the contact's status appears as "Offline," wait 30 minutes for temporary server issues to be resolved. You can continue to exchange instant messages with the contact during this time.

I hope these steps help resolve your concern with MSN Messenger. Should you have any other questions or if you need further assistance regarding this issue, please do not hesitate to contact us again by replying directly to this e-mail.

If you have new concerns, kindly submit a new service request at http://support.msn.com. For additional information and self-help, visit Most Frequently Asked Questions (http://messenger.msn.com/Help/).

Thank you for contacting MSN Messenger Technical Support. Have a great day.
Sincerely,
Manny
MSN Messenger Technical Support

ford.boy
12th December 2008, 09:11 AM
when ever i open msn i send out a file to ppl on my contacts list its some virus im sure but dont no how to stop it !!

Are you using OS X?

walabe
12th December 2008, 09:34 AM
hi ford.boy
im not sure what os x is

ford.boy
12th December 2008, 09:37 AM
Are you on a mac using using the Macintosh Operating System?