PDA

View Full Version : Xbox 360

The_Rockwallaby
11th May 2005, 11:03 AM
CATS OUT OF THE BAG
http://www.glowfoto.com/images/2005/05/10-1800472622T.jpg (http://www.glowfoto.com/viewimage.php?img=10-180047L&y=2005&m=05&t=jpg&rand=2622)

Disko
11th May 2005, 11:31 AM
hm.. mixed feelings on this one. Though i suppose its what is inside that counts, one shouldn't judge a book by its cover. :P

Joz
11th May 2005, 11:36 AM
somebody tell me that thing isn't real :blink:

maybe it's just a really bad shot.. but I've seen toasters that look better than that :P

marc
11th May 2005, 11:42 AM
This, PS3, and the new nintendo console are going to be sooooo damn fast. It's crazy.

Apparently the Xbox 360's CPUs do have vector units (altivec/velocity engine). These may put the current line of Dual G5s to shame. I guess we won't know until we find out exactly how the architecture works.

I hope it means cheaper and faster macs.

iSlayer
11th May 2005, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by marc@May 11 2005, 12:42 PM
Apparently the Xbox 360's CPUs do have vector units (altivec/velocity engine). These may put the current line of Dual G5s to shame. I guess we won't know until we find out exactly how the architecture works.

I hope it means cheaper and faster macs.
well for gaming yes but for everything else No.
an xbox will never outperfom a mac at anything but gaming and maybe HD playback.

and i really doubt it will affect mac prices one bit.

the_OM
11th May 2005, 11:48 AM
Yeah, I mean you have to remember that these things are designed purely for games, not to run a OS like macintosh.
It's only the very few are known as hardcore geeks who hack these things and add a whole bunch of things. For the rest of us, they are used for games, and not much else.

But for games, I can't wait. The next generation of gaming systems is going to be crazy.

yearofbrock
11th May 2005, 11:54 AM
So when is PS3 due out?

The_Rockwallaby
11th May 2005, 12:07 PM
E3 is when they preview them, they should be out this year.

PS3 is supposed to have a bit more grunt than the others, that being said it comes down to games.

Here's the story from engadget (http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000490042605/)

Can’t tell you how we got our hands on this image, but what you’re looking at is a real live shot of the Xbox 360 that someone sneakily snapped with their cameraphone at Microsoft’s Xbox360 Revealed launch party in Los Angeles last night. Also note the presence of a hard drive attachment up top, the white controller, the Xbox Live headset, and what looks like that EyeToy-like camera peripheral we’ve been hearing about.

queraxus
11th May 2005, 12:37 PM
More pics here:

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/store/xbox360

Personally, I dont mind it. And if the specs match the rumours, it'll be very interesting.

DVD Plaza
11th May 2005, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by islayer@May 11 2005, 11:44 AM
and i really doubt it will affect mac prices one bit.
I would have thought the 3 x G5 processors sold in each Xbox would help to bring down pricing without a single doubt...

If it's going to have absolutely no effect then it sounds like we're locked into a really screwed deal with IBM... plus Microsoft would have bargained one hell of a price, so it would seem not only do they get a faster G5 but cheaper prices than Apple... what a sad situation :(

darknight84
11th May 2005, 03:05 PM
http://www.gamespot.com/x360/index.html

iSlayer
11th May 2005, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by DVD Plaza@May 11 2005, 02:27 PM
I would have thought the 3 x G5 processors sold in each Xbox would help to bring down pricing without a single doubt...

do you think M$ can fit 3 FULL powered g5's in that case.
Hell no

Rayd
11th May 2005, 03:57 PM
and aparently there all running at 3ghz? :|

Arkhum_Eramak
11th May 2005, 04:11 PM
Dudes, it is a triple-core G5, not x3 G5s. And yes, it is clocked at 3GHz. The specs aren't rumors, they were confirmed over three weeks ago - by Microsoft.

Rumors state a November release (thank MTV for that one!), with PS3 slated for a mid 2006 release and Revolution sometime whenever. As it stands, Rvolution and Xbox next will be pretty on par, wheras the PS3 will be more powerful, it will be marginal and the differences wont be noticable (like this generation). Apparently Sony are giving a public announcement on PS3 2 or 3 hours before the Xbox360 one, but they have a machine running on an unfinished CPU and an incomplete GPU (nVidia said it wont be ready by late november at the earliest).

Dudes, I'm a Nintendo fanboy and I know all this..........get with the times!

Rayd
11th May 2005, 04:31 PM
hmm, i heard that the PS3 was running on the IBM Cell processor that new unbelievably powerful one... the one that supposedly DOESNT have a GPU ... so the PS3 has NO graphics card! i dont know who's gonna win this round...

shadowprophet
11th May 2005, 04:37 PM
nvidia has signed up to PS3.

That picture is one of the many pictures that been released on the internet, ourcolony.net. Which is some site Microsoft is using to hype up Xbox 360.

Remember ilovebees.com.

Anyway, it's going to be revealed very soon. E3 2005 and on MTV.

Arkhum_Eramak
11th May 2005, 04:38 PM
Well, the CELL was developed between Sony, IBM and Toshiba and will be being used in PS3.

As for the GPU, nVidia are definately making one, they have already said so, based on the next gen technology from the 6xxx GPUs and rumors say it will be based on upcoming GeForce 7 GPU. So PS3 definately has a GPU. The Xbox360 is running a modified X800 core, maybe even an early X900 core, and Revolution will allegedly sport the R500 from ATi next year.

And Xbox360 totally has it next round unless the Nintendo free online service can win it some ground (Revolution and DS servers are free, and so will Super Gameboy's allegedly). Rumors are placing Super Gameboy at E3 this year as well, so thats something to look forward to.

But yeah, the CELL doesn't make it invincible and PS3 will still have a GPU.

Sorry to disappoint.

Arkhum_Eramak
11th May 2005, 04:41 PM
Yeah, dude, totally

And it is on MTV.....tomorrow! (Thursday US....whatever....)

shadowprophet
11th May 2005, 04:43 PM
Japanese giant Nintendo is set to focus strongly on the handheld market at E3, with a new revision of the GBA hardware and the unveiling of the DS online service set to take centre stage while Revolution is consigned to a video presentation.

Although Nintendo has pledged to show off something of its plans for the highly-anticipated next-generation platform at the expo, it has remained coy about exactly how much will be on display - and now sources close to the company have revealed that no Revolution hardware or specs will be discussed, with the console appearing only as a video of next-gen footage.

Instead, the focus of Nintendo's conference will be on the handheld market - with the rumoured new version of the Game Boy Advance hardware set to make an appearance for the first time, along with the first demonstration of the Nintendo DS' Wi-Fi powered online functionality.

The new GBA, however, is categorically not the "GBA2", Nintendo's genuine next-generation handheld console. The system is expected to be an update to the existing GBA hardware, perhaps sporting built-in wireless networking and the Play-Yan adapter for playing downloadable games and videos, both of which have up until now been separate components.

The Nintendo DS online service, meanwhile, was first mentioned by Satoru Iwata in his presentation at the Game Developers Conference in San Francisco earlier this spring, and is expected to roll out later in the year. Revolution, which is also confirmed to have wireless networking components, is likely to use a variant on the same system.

Although the decision to hold back on unveiling Revolution at the show will undoubtedly disappoint many, Nintendo is undoubtedly aware that it would be fighting for attention with the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, both of which are due to be demonstrated for the first time during E3 week.

Of course, it's not that Nintendo will have nothing to show off in terms of home consoles - as the new Legend of Zelda game, for example, will be playable for the first time at the show.

Nintendo's conference takes place on the morning of Tuesday, May 17th - Pacific Standard Time, of course, so expect the first reports to start emerging at about six o' clock in the evening, British time.

Arkhum_Eramak
11th May 2005, 04:51 PM
Don't forget the apparent unveiling of Mario 128....but then, lets not get coy about what Nintendo will and wont have, nobody knows. They're like Apple, and no amount of that news article or what I've heard will change anything. What they have there is going to be what they have there.

Not that I'm doubting what you've posted, I just stopped believing everything I read a long time ago.

marc
11th May 2005, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by islayer@May 11 2005, 03:11 PM
do you think M$ can fit 3 FULL powered g5's in that case.
Hell no
No, not at all. Especially when you consider that two 2.3ghz G5 require a massive enclosure and loads of fans, and two 2.7ghz G5s require liquid cooling.

However, I've heard that the 360 will have altivec unit(s). So, it doesn't seem too stripped down... but it must be...

:blink:

I'm confused!

Arkhum_Eramak
11th May 2005, 05:04 PM
READ THE REST OF THE FORUM!

IT IS A TRI-CORE 3GHz G5!

Thusly, three cores on the one CPU requiring less cooling, as well as being stripped of all the unnecessary features...and yes, this is confirmed!!!!

OMGWTFBBQ!!!!!

ring0
11th May 2005, 05:53 PM
well...i think those xbox pics are a hoax
mainly because of these 2 pics
http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/store/xbox360_200.jpg
and
http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/store/xboxrender.jpg

anyone notice the difference in the way the eject button arrows face ?
[pics taken from queraxus's link @ http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/store/xbox360]

Jazarus
14th May 2005, 11:13 AM
The hardware for the xBox 360 is impressive, but I predict that as soon as the PS3 rolls out this thing that looks like it belongs in the kitchen will die a horrible horrible death. The problem is not the console itself, its the fact that you have Microsoft running the show, it's their marketing and their patronising attitude to consumers.

Microsoft's style is to dictate to the consumer what they want and need, eg, this "virtual marketplace' in xBox live. At first it will seem fun upgrading you heros equipment and show off to all the poor n00bs out there who cant afford upgrades, but people will see this this a mere black hole that sucks cash for virtual crap.

You pay close to a 100 bucks for a brand new game only to get your ass kicked by someone who is willing to poop their hard earn cash (or their parents) in to the virtual money pit and gets a +100 damage sword of migt and dragon scale armor all this being worn by some little level 3 footman in the village while you've been hacking your way through dungeons to get to be a level 23 Palladin and all you have to show for it is a rusty longsword.

If Microsoft thinks it can steal the PS3's thunder with that lames ass xBox/MTV party then they are more deluded than people think they are. But no, this is a sign of a fighting retreat, they dont want to do a same-release at E3 because they know side by side the PS3 will outshine the 360, add to that Nintendo's Revolution and the buzz created by nintendo's cult but large following. Despite all the booze and fanfare and Frodo Baggins on speed this is a Microsoft not confident its product can hold up beside the competition. Sure on the face of it it looks like agressive marketing tactics, but the question is why where they forced to use such tactics.

I think this will bleed through everything Microsoft does, its arrogant posture of "hey lets do this to make money and force people to jump on our wagon". For example, splitting the 360 and windows Media centre. If MS integrated the 2 into one unit they would be for once actually be doing something the consumer wants and would be ahead in the field, even the PS3 would have trouble keeping up, they would actually be innovative.

Thats my 2 cents worth, that xBox first release party is an abomination that should never be repeated, everyone there with the exception of the genuine gamers looked like they had MS dollar signs blinking in their eyes, yes even the beloved Elijah Wood - at least he doesnt do anything by halves, when he sells out he goes all the way.