PDA

View Full Version : Problems with 10.5.5 anyone?

laughingbird
4th December 2008, 08:53 PM
I've been having lots of buggy problems with my MacBook Pro lately, and while I'm not sure, it seems to be since the recent upgrade to OSX 10.5.5. Is anyone else experiencing any of these symptoms:

Lots more spinning beach balls while we wait for something to take effect.
Frequent "Application not responding" problems requiring force quits.
Frequent "unexpected quit" even while not using an application. eg. iCal is open but not currently being looked at, and it suddenly quits.
Frequent difficulties with log-outs and shut downs. Sometimes they take ages (10 mins or more) and sometimes they never get there and I have to force shut down.
Sometimes problems in save or open dialog boxes, where the contents of the folder take ages to show up.

Has anything like this been experienced by others since 10.5.5, or if not, does anyone have any other ideas as to what I might be looking for?

leon
4th December 2008, 08:57 PM
The only App that regularly quits on all of my machines for no reason is Safari. The last working Safari for me was version 2 in Tiger.
Everything else is pretty solid on all of my machines. I currently have a mixture of machines that were upgraded with the Delta or the Combo update and all appear to be working fine.

Sounds like it might be time for a clean install.
Your HDD or more likely RAM might have issues which could be causing the random crashing. Maybe run a hardware test a few times to see if your machine has any problems.

laughingbird
4th December 2008, 10:02 PM
The only App that regularly quits on all of my machines for no reason is Safari. The last working Safari for me was version 2 in Tiger.

I was having crashing problems with the latest version of Safari, but it was caused by an add-on, Acid Search. When I got rid of that, Safari has been fine. I miss Acid Search a lot, but Safari is now stable without it.

markpalavra
4th December 2008, 10:42 PM
Sorry, not experiencing any of those things on my two machines.

24" Alu iMac and Macbook Air.

I'm just taking a wild guess here, but could be something hardware related like dodgy RAM or something on the logic board.

Rant
4th December 2008, 10:48 PM
1. Top of the list. How much spare capacity do you have on your system drive? Sounds like you need more room on your HD. Honestly, I recommend 30 - 100GB spare for best performance.

2. Or you might have a bad hard drive somewhere - connected or on a network and the OS is getting knotted up trying to access it.

3. If any of this sounds familiar - try a shutdown, wait a while & restart.

Are you running 6 or more spaces?
Lots of tabs open in Safari for days on end?
Running your computer for days on end, leaving many apps open, documents unsaved, etc?

4. Are you running Toast 9 older than 9.0.4 ?
I've had so many mysterious problems apparently caused by Toast 9, that I just made a habit of only firing it up only when needed and restarting when I was done.
Toast 9.0.4 is finally stable and I don't have any problems with Toast or problems apparently caused by Toast.

5. When you get desperate enough, download an application called Main Menu and run through all the system clean-up stuff it puts in your menu bar for you. Run All Maintenance scripts at least and maybe Repair Permissions... and work your way down the list.

laughingbird
5th December 2008, 08:54 AM
1. Top of the list. How much spare capacity do you have on your system drive? Sounds like you need more room on your HD. Honestly, I recommend 30 - 100GB spare for best performance.

I've got 60 GB free, so I don't think that's an issue.

2. Or you might have a bad hard drive somewhere - connected or on a network and the OS is getting knotted up trying to access it.

I have Time Capsule, so there is a possibility there. I did get a message recently that Time Machine hadn't backed up for 100 days or something, but I know it has, because the back-ups are there, so there could be a problem of some sort.

3. If any of this sounds familiar - try a shutdown, wait a while & restart.

Are you running 6 or more spaces?
Lots of tabs open in Safari for days on end?
Running your computer for days on end, leaving many apps open, documents unsaved, etc?

I shut down my computer every night, and with these recent issues I've often had to restart it during the day too. However, now that you mention Spaces, that is the other thing I've only started using recently, so I should try turning that off and seeing if anything improves.

4. Are you running Toast 9 older than 9.0.4 ?

No,. I've never had any version of Toast.

5. When you get desperate enough, download an application called Main Menu and run through all the system clean-up stuff it puts in your menu bar for you. Run All Maintenance scripts at least and maybe Repair Permissions... and work your way down the list.

Thanks. I may get there! Thanks for all the ideas.

midnight_e
5th December 2008, 09:05 AM
Had something similar happen a while back.

Think it was a bad sector on the HD.
After zeroing out data and reinstalling I got a stable OS.

laughingbird
8th December 2008, 04:11 PM
Or you might have a bad hard drive somewhere - connected or on a network and the OS is getting knotted up trying to access it.

I'm starting to think that this is the problem. I've now seen some similar issues beginning to appear on two other machines that access the same Time Capsule, and mine seems more stable when not connected to the network. Not sure about that yet, but it is looking likely.

So, my next obvious question is how do I confirm it and/or fix it?

forgie
8th December 2008, 05:35 PM
Just for the record... you don't need 100GB free, or anywhere near it to have your system running smoothly. You are unlikely to every see ANY issue if you have more than 5-10GB free. Even if you do have an issue, it will probably be that you find it slower to copy/move large files. You won't usually get any stability problems unless you get to around 1GB free or less.

Rant
8th December 2008, 05:41 PM
I was talking about your system drive, but anything the OS accesses - even network mounted drives can be enough to create problems

I'm starting to think that this is the problem. I've now seen some similar issues beginning to appear on two other machines that access the same Time Capsule, and mine seems more stable when not connected to the network. Not sure about that yet, but it is looking likely.

So, my next obvious question is how do I confirm it and/or fix it?

Take a deep breath. Really want to know? OK.

Launch Disk Utility (in Apps/Utilities folder), Click the name of the drive, Click Verify
Depending on the result, you might need to Click Repair

If you haven't already done Permissions, you can Verify & Repair Permissions too.

Rant
8th December 2008, 07:00 PM
Just for the record... you don't need 100GB free, or anywhere near it to have your system running smoothly. You are unlikely to every see ANY issue if you have more than 5-10GB free. Even if you do have an issue, it will probably be that you find it slower to copy/move large files. You won't usually get any stability problems unless you get to around 1GB free or less.

This is a rat hole, but I'm prepared to clear up any misunderstandings that might result.

I'm aware of the 'conventional wisdom', what I was quoting, was what I've found in practise.

1 GB free - you're in serious trouble
10 GB free - your getting into serious trouble

It all depends how quickly you can create GB sized files... EyeTV , which is pretty common these days (and works almost invisibly in the background) can eat 10 GB free on your drive in the space of a 1 hour HD television show. And frankly, it and everything else on your system will run like a dog if you've got less than 20GB free - so I recommend MUCH more than that 'free' and the more the better.

The 1%, 5%, 10% rules (depending on which neck-bearded guru you worship) were created in a time when the OS took up 1 MB and hard drives were 250 MB. This has no relation to today's problems and operating conditions.

I don't personally find those rules-of-thumb to be useful in a world when we can create a 1 GB video file without even knowing it. And iMovie projects divide video up into 2 GB chunks!

Show me all the Apple tech notes you like. I'll demo my recommendations on a computer for you in 10 minutes.

laughingbird
9th December 2008, 09:03 PM
Launch Disk Utility (in Apps/Utilities folder), Click the name of the drive, Click Verify
Depending on the result, you might need to Click Repair

Thanks muchly, Rant. It appears that the problem was indeed being caused by issues on the Time Capsule's hard drive. The verification procedure failed, but I followed the instructions given by Disk Utility about erasing things if that happened, and now all seems to be well. None of the three Macs that connect to that Time Capsule seem to have exhibited any of the problematic symptoms today, so I am a grateful little vegimite.