PDA

View Full Version : using yahoo email on a mac

bellylisa01
3rd December 2008, 08:45 PM
Hi

Please can anyone help me, I;m at my wits end with this mail stuff!!!!

I purchased my macbook in September this year and I love it to bits but I'm am so stuck.... Mail is driving me nuts!!! How do I set up this so that I can view my emails from my yahoo account? I have tried many things ie: making sure the POP is correct (at least I think it is), setting up my name, address etc, even my password for yahoo is not being regonised!!!! What the sam hill am I doing wrong here, it can't be that hard to get my access to my emails surely!!!!!

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated, this one lady who is screaming on the inside.......

bellylisa01

TigersharkBAS
3rd December 2008, 08:53 PM
Hi Lisa,
Which POP server are you using. For the pop server account name setting have you tried using your full yahoo address?

ie. me@yahoo.com

TigersharkBAS
3rd December 2008, 08:55 PM
Also found this on the Yahoo site.

Q. How do I POP my mail?
The ability to access Yahoo! Mail via a POP3 email client (such as Outlook or Outlook Express) is only available to customers of our premium Yahoo! Mail Plus service.

A. If you have not purchased the Yahoo! Mail Plus service, you will be unable to retrieve messages via an email client. To determine whether or not you have purchased this service, please visit the My Services page.

With Another Email Client
For Microsoft Entourage 2001 and Higher
For IncrediMail build 618 and higher
For Netscape Mail - all versions
For Eudora 5.1 or higher clients
For Microsoft Outlook Express for Macintosh
For Microsoft Outlook Express
For Outlook 98 and 2000
For Outlook 2002 (XP) and 2003
If you have purchased the service, but continue to experience errors, then please visit our POP help pages.

Might be time to switch to a new friendlier mail service that doesn't charge for what I consider to be a basic service.

davall46
3rd December 2008, 08:56 PM
Hi

It certainly sounds as though you're trying to access your yahoo mail thru the Apple Mail app.

As Yahoo is a web-based email service, you need to access it via a browser (Safari, Firefox etc)

Just point your browser to Yahoo!7 (http://www.yahoo.com.au) then select mail, put in your username & password and bingo!

Let's know how you go!

MrJesseRoss
3rd December 2008, 09:10 PM
Hi

It certainly sounds as though you're trying to access your yahoo mail thru the Apple Mail app.

As Yahoo is a web-based email service, you need to access it via a browser (Safari, Firefox etc)

Just point your browser to Yahoo!7 (http://www.yahoo.com.au) then select mail, put in your username & password and bingo!

Let's know how you go!

I'm sure bellylisa01 knows how to access Yahoo via the web. How else would she have signed up to it? :confused:

vallibrig
4th December 2008, 09:01 AM
Hi
I know the exact issue you are talking about . There is one semi solution and some sad news.

Semi solution is that my Ipod Touch Syncs with my yahoo mail perfectly. I just set up my user name and password and it downloads my emails via my Wifi.

With Mail or Outlook when you try to set up Yahoo Mail through the set up prompts and the systems goes to verify your results it comes up with the fact that there is an ERROR with your User name and Password

This is because you are not a preimum member. I know it sucks

What it means is that for Ipod touch or Iphone ; its seen as using the WEB to download and send and receive your email.

For MAIL or OUTLOOK its using a SOFTWARE (yahoo sees it a Microsoft or Mail) and refuses to send any information if you arent a premium member.

Hence solution is
1. use the web as you do now
2 Use Ipod Touch or Iphone if you need it on the go
3. Sign up to become a premium member

I wrote to yahoo about this and they said it MAY be a future enhancement for non paid member.

KRAZY HUH!

craigc
4th December 2008, 09:03 AM
I have no problem using my Yahoo account with Apple Mail app.

When I first got my Mac and accessed Apple Mail app for the first time, it asked me for the email address and password and everything worked automatically.

Does your yahoo account end with @yahoo.com.au or @yahoo.com. That determines whether it is hosted in Australia or the US I think. If it is @yahoo.com, you may wish to try establishing an Australian account.

Do you have to enable POP on the mail website before this works?

Perhaps try establishing an Australian yahoo address to see if that works.

Have you

vallibrig
4th December 2008, 09:05 AM
Mine is yahoo.com
havent used yahoo.com.au

but Yahoo.com works with Ipod Touch not with mail or outlook for me.

stevejay
4th December 2008, 09:48 AM
Hi

Please can anyone help me, I;m at my wits end with this mail stuff!!!!

I purchased my macbook in September this year and I love it to bits but I'm am so stuck.... Mail is driving me nuts!!! How do I set up this so that I can view my emails from my yahoo account? I have tried many things ie: making sure the POP is correct (at least I think it is), setting up my name, address etc, even my password for yahoo is not being regonised!!!! What the sam hill am I doing wrong here, it can't be that hard to get my access to my emails surely!!!!!

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated, this one lady who is screaming on the inside.......

bellylisa01

You have to have Yahoo Plus to get POP mail.

scruffie
4th December 2008, 10:28 AM
Oi! There's nothing wrong with yahoo. I just signed up an email with rocketmail for that nostalgic moment :)

Firstly, craigc is totally correct. You are able to access your yahoo email via the mail app on your iphone and ipod touch. I think the reason for this is that the mail app on those pretty shiny things uses a preconfig yahoo server - that's why you dont have to enter in a pop/smtp server and all that jazz.

Yahoo's functionality differs from account to account. Its weird, i dont know how to explain it. Some accounts dont offer the ability to use pop, some only offer it if you pay for Mail Plus, and some offer it for free. It seems to be from region to region but also differs depending on the time you actually register your account.

Firstly i suggest that you check whether you have the free option available to you. You can do this by accessing your yahoo email through the web interface and clicking on Mail Options. If it is available for you for free, then you should see the "POP Access and Forwarding" option available. Follow the instructions and voila, your mail app is ready to roll.

If you can't see the POP Access and Forwarding" option, it might be available to you as a paid option. Run your eye to the left of the Mail Options panel and you might see an upsize to the Mail Plus. It should have a brief description of what it Mail Plus offers (like 20 mb attachments, better spam filters, POP access etc). If you feel sorry for yahoo not taking microsoft's takeover offer, follow the links of setting up Mail PLus, open your wallet and give generously.

The freebie option involves changing your preferred content region. It requires a bit of trial and error, but its free! To do this, you go to Mail Options, click on Account Information on the left, and after entering your password again, it should take you to the Yahoo Account Info page. Edit your Member Details and change your preferred content to a different country. Save, log out, log back in, and check the Mail Options page to see whether the free POP offering is available for you.

Its a bit hit or miss but it does work. Both my mum's Aussie one and my UK rocketmail one has free pop. Let me know how you go.

holden89
4th December 2008, 10:48 AM
Strange... I have a y7mail email, and I can access the emails through outlook and mail (for leopard). In fact I am looking at it right now...

My pop settings are:
incoming: plus.pop.mail.yahoo.com

For outgoing I have had to use our Bigpond home mail, as I had trouble with the outgoing mail. Works fine.

bellylisa01
4th December 2008, 07:20 PM
thanks everyone for your suggestions, it seems that I still cant get my mac mail to access my yahoo account. I thought that after all your answers something would make it work, but no did not!!

this is what I've done

incoming mail: pop.mail.yahoo.com.au
Port - 995
SSL
authentication - password

outgoing mail: smtp.mail.yahoo.com.au
Port: 465
SSL
authenitcation - password

My password is what I use to log on to yahoo.com.au emails via safari.
my user namer is my email address

The above is what yahoo tell you to do in their options area, which I would not have found if it wasn't for all of your suggestions - it still doesn't work. so I'm thinking that I can't do it as I don't pay for my emails so I am going to set up gmail this weekend - fingers crossed!!!! I'm then going to forward my yahoo emails to that and then (hopefully) I'll be able to access my mail via my mac mail!!!!

I really appreciate all your help, there is no way I'm paying for what I consider should be a free service!!!!:

Bethro
4th December 2008, 10:40 PM
My yahoo mail works fine in Mail.
Mine is a @yhoo.com.au address and apart from the odd (and sometimes frequent) asking me to verify my password, it works fine. My username is actually just my username and not @yahoo.com.au at the end, so maybe try changing this? I don't know, before I installed leopard I was sure it was the full address as username, but with leopard, it set it all up for me automatically and the username doesn't have the @yahoo.com.au on the end.
Also, outgoing mail server is smpt.mail.yahoo.com.au:username

craigc
5th December 2008, 02:39 PM
You have to have Yahoo Plus to get POP mail.

I don't have Yahoo Plus and it works for me as I have an Australian based address (i.e. it ends in @yahoo.com.au).

If you have a US based address (i.e. it ends in @yahoo.com) than you need Yahoo Plus.

I have read about this before.

craigc
5th December 2008, 02:49 PM
thanks everyone for your suggestions, it seems that I still cant get my mac mail to access my yahoo account. I thought that after all your answers something would make it work, but no did not!!

What I would suggest is that you try creating another yahoo email address from the Australian yahoo site, and see if it works with this account. You might find that the problem is something peculiar with you current account, in which case you may have to just wait and see whether it gets resolved with time.

Just to confirm again. Is your account Australian based (i.e. it ends in @yahoo.com.au) or is it US based (i.e. it ends in @yahoo.com). The way to confirm this is to try and send yourself an email without the ".au". If it is an Australian account you won't receive it.

Have you tried to access it via a PC? Have you ever been able to access it successfully before?

LennyX
5th December 2008, 03:30 PM
Have you considered using something other than Yahoo?

Gmail is really good and can easily be set up with POP or IMAP for free. If Yahoo allows forwarding you could forward your Yahoo emails to your Gmail account

Kuma
5th December 2008, 03:53 PM
It is my experience that if something doesn't work for me then instead of shoehorning it to make it work.. I ditch it.. and switch.

gmail has been the best email solution ever for me. first I had hotmail blech! then I had yahoo.. but hmmm then I changed to gmail and I haven't looked back.

I know this is not the kind of answer you wanted... but sometimes you just have to move on.

craigc
5th December 2008, 10:01 PM
I have both a gmail and a yahoo address. I would prefer to go 100% gmail, but there have been a handful of people that have trouble sending stuff through to my gmail account. I am not sure why. Therefore, I tend to rely on yahoo the most, as I have never had any problems.

Dan42
6th December 2008, 11:53 AM
Weird.

I just tried this with xxx@yahoo.com (no au on the end) and didnt configure anything (mail configured the pop and ports) and it fired straight up and imported 10 years of mail.

It wont however accept the password for outgoing mail (ie I send and it hangs for a while and a pop-up advises me the server rejected the password)

config

in -- plus.pop.mail.yahoo.com

out -- plus.smtp.mail.yahoo.com

I dont have mail +

I then tried it on another yahoo account (no au on the end) and a notification came up advising I may need an additional fee for yahoo pop acces

bellylisa01
8th December 2008, 08:42 PM
Hi everyone

I thought that before I flicked yahoo.com.au in the head, so to speak, I have now contacted yahoo.com.au support to see if I am doing anything wrong with what I am putting into the set up. So thanks everyone for your ssistance, we will see if I now get a reply............

regards

Lisa

EdgeOfQuarrel
8th December 2008, 08:50 PM
Gmail

bellylisa01
8th December 2008, 08:53 PM
Hi Edge of Quarrel

are you advising me to go to gmail? i Do you know their incoming and outgoing stuff that I need to set up?

I was going to do this next and forward my yahoo stuff over to gmail.

Kuma
8th December 2008, 09:09 PM
just activate imap in gmail.
You can then fwd yahoo to gmail
(if yahoo let you fwd)

Then follow the gmail instructions to set up mail.app and you are gold.

bellylisa01
11th December 2008, 07:09 PM
Hi everyone

IT FINALLY IS WORKING!!!!!

I ended up emailing yahoo help and am now accessing my yahoo account via my mail on my mac!!!!

thought I would post the solution for all to see:

1. To begin, open up the email client
2. Click "Mail" from the top menu, and select "Preferences" from the
drop down list
3. On the "Mail Preferences" screen, select the "Create Account"
button
4. On the "Account Type" drop down menu, select POP Account.
5. In the "Description" field, enter a descriptive title - for
example "Yahoo!7 Email".
6. Enter your Yahoo!7 email address and full name in the space
provided.
7. Next to "Host name" type: pop.mail.yahoo.com.au
8. Under "User Name", enter your Yahoo!7 email address.
9. Next, enter your Yahoo!7 Mail password in the space provided
10. Enter smtp.mail.yahoo.com.au as your "SMTP Host".
11. Check "Use authentication when sending mail".
12. Under SMTP User and SMTP password, enter your Yahoo!7 email address
and password
13. Click "OK"
14. If you would like to delete messages from the server,
check "Delete messages on server after downloading"
15. Click "OK"

the secret was to put 'email' into the descriptive field

Problem now solved!!!!!!!

regards

Lisa