PDA

View Full Version : Charger HOT!

Philljc
2nd December 2008, 10:31 PM
I did a search. (hot charger) and got zip.

I have a new MBP 15" and the charger is really really hot, is this right? My old Dell charger never got this hot and apparently Apple builds things to the utmost best of their abilities so I'm wondering why it is almost too hot to touch?

My boss has the same problem so its not an isolated incident.

decryption
2nd December 2008, 10:33 PM
Yeah, mine gets hot too. I've never seen an Apple charger that hasn't got really warm.

Wally
2nd December 2008, 10:35 PM
They shouldn't get too hot but they get warm to touch, it also depends where you are storing the transformer.

I'd start worrying when the MagSafe plug gets hot, that's when things start to melt and its also when you should take it to your nearest Apple Store / Reseller for replacement..

Wally

~Coxy
3rd December 2008, 11:11 AM
My old Dell charger never got this hot and apparently Apple builds things to the utmost best of their abilities so I'm wondering why it is almost too hot to touch?

Apple chargers are probably the worst things they make and have been absolutely shocking in quality for years. :thumbdn:

Byrd
3rd December 2008, 11:28 AM
Is the cord unravelled around it?

JB

forgie
3rd December 2008, 11:59 AM
Where do you leave your charger while it's charging? On carpet? In your laptop bag? On a hard floor surface?

Gio
3rd December 2008, 01:33 PM
If mb is dead flat and you are working as well it will get really hot! Mine has actually cut out as in a thermal cut out which must be in the charger. Once it cools it worked again.

Philljc
3rd December 2008, 01:45 PM
What happened to no comparison in build quality?

Phase
3rd December 2008, 01:46 PM

I'm sorry, are you from the past?

decryption
3rd December 2008, 01:47 PM

You missed the memo.
(Apple build to a price like everyone else - sure, a $5,000 MacBook would be the best thing ever, but would anyone buy it? No.)

Philljc
3rd December 2008, 01:49 PM

No, I'm from the other thread where I asked people the pros about Macs and all I got was how 'great the build quality' is and now I'm wondering why my temperature sensors aren't working properly and the charger feels like a steaming iron.

Wow that's the 2 fastest replies I've had since I've been here. To me a Mac is a Mac and a PC is a PC and I'll have uses for both of them, it seems to be different for some of you people but don't get so upset when a flaw is pointed out.

Gruntled
3rd December 2008, 01:52 PM

Nice IT Crowd reference.:D

Phase
3rd December 2008, 02:01 PM
it seems to be different for some of you people but don't get so upset when a flaw is pointed out.

You are funneling electricity through a device insulated in plastic the last I checked, plastic wasn't a particularly good cooling device, in and of itself.

Your situation is perfectly normal. Try not to keep the power-brick in your Y fronts during charging.

Philljc
3rd December 2008, 02:03 PM
You are funneling electricity through a device insulated in plastic the last I checked, plastic wasn't a particularly good cooling device, in and of itself.

My Dell had a 9 cell battery, and channeled it the same way. It got nowhere near as hot, and charged much faster.

decryption
3rd December 2008, 02:04 PM
Well Dell are better than Apple. They manage to sell computers way cheaper.
What's up with that? Dell even have more of a range of computers to choose from - way better options and upgrades.

Dell even have better power adaptors. I will never buy a Mac again. I won't make the same mistake twice.

(is this post sarcastic or what?)

Philljc
3rd December 2008, 02:07 PM
Well Dell are better than Apple. They manage to sell computers way cheaper.
What's up with that? Dell even have more of a range of computers to choose from - way better options and upgrades.

Dell even have better power adaptors. I will never buy a Mac again. I won't make the same mistake twice.

(is this post sarcastic or what?)

So when people are asking if they should get a Mac and get answers such as they have the best build quality, and you will never look back..

Then

When something is wrong and they find problems, the people at the same place have to be sarcastic and ignore facts to make one product seem better than another regardless?

People like you really turn me off just wanting to keep the MBP. You and your other thread.

Phase
3rd December 2008, 02:10 PM
So when people are asking if they should get a Mac and get answers such as they have the best build quality, and you will never look back..

Then

When something is wrong and they find problems, the people at the same place have to be sarcastic and ignore facts to make one product seem better than another regardless?

People like you really turn me off just wanting to keep the MBP. You and your other thread.

http://www.simpsoncrazy.com/gallery/images/HomerCrazy.gif

Bastard Sheep
I did a search. (hot charger) and got zip.

I have a new MBP 15" and the charger is really really hot, is this right? My old Dell charger never got this hot and apparently Apple builds things to the utmost best of their abilities so I'm wondering why it is almost too hot to touch?

My boss has the same problem so its not an isolated incident.

Wow, I'm amazed. You actually found a fetish that there isn't already a site for on the internet. All you need now is some piano music and a video camera. I'm curious, what differentiates a hot charger from an ugly one? How exactly did the topic of attractive chargers come up between you and your boss?

Phase
I guess most of us just don't give a shit about how hot the power brick gets.

Possibly because it doesn't matter. At all.

Philljc
Right, truly intelligent.

Philljc
3rd December 2008, 02:11 PM

No, why would an overheating electrical component be a problem in a house full of things that could catch fire?

Phase
3rd December 2008, 02:13 PM
No, why would an overheating electrical component be a problem in a house full of things that could catch fire?

Stop leaving it on piles of newspaper near your sleeping newborn.

or don't.

Philljc
3rd December 2008, 02:15 PM

Stop leaving it on piles of newspaper near your sleeping newborn.

or don't.

Is this what you do to anyone who points out a flaw in your superior product? Gang up on them with immature crap?

I seen a cartoon joke once it said "PC users like to watch sex on their computers. Mac users like to have sex with their computers" - oooh I went to your level. But now I'm thinking it actually wasn't a joke.

Phase
3rd December 2008, 02:18 PM
Is this what you do to anyone who points out a flaw in your superior product? Gang up on them with immature crap?

I seen a cartoon joke once it said "PC users like to watch sex on their computers. Mac users like to have sex with their computers" - oooh I went to your level. But now I'm thinking it actually wasn't a joke.

I can't make this any clearer.

It's a power brick.

It gets hot.

No one else gives a shit about your hot power brick. If this is impacting on you so greatly, telephone apple on 133-MAC. Express your displeasure.

Or continue to harass people on an internet forum.

One of these will end in a useful conclusion. One won't.

And I don't care which avenue you choose, I do however have a shit load of offensive image macros just aching for a work out if you choose option 2.

decryption
3rd December 2008, 02:20 PM

Hand in your Apple-Club card and badge at the door when you leave.

Philljc
3rd December 2008, 02:26 PM
Hand in your Apple-Club card and badge at the door when you leave.

For every other person in my office that was contemplating a mac, I will send them this URL and they can see for themselves what they're getting into. You people are an absolute joke, and an admin for gods sake.

Phase
3rd December 2008, 02:27 PM
For every other person in my office that was contemplating a mac, I will send them this URL and they can see for themselves what they're getting into. You people are an absolute joke, and an admin for gods sake.

Don't let our superior build quality door hit your ass on the way out.

Philljc
3rd December 2008, 02:27 PM
Don't let our superior build quality door hit your ass on the way out.

It'll probably fall off and burn down before it gets a chance to shut while your defending it, I wouldn't worry.

decryption
3rd December 2008, 02:28 PM

Everyone else in your office will be like "what, you got into a flame war on the internet and decided to show it to me? Jesus man, get a grip. Why are you emailing me this shit, shouldn't you be working?"

Glad I got through to you though :D

Philljc
3rd December 2008, 02:29 PM
Glad I got through to you :D

Mate, I'd love to argue with you. But if that is indeed you in your profile pic then that is punishment enough for you for the rest of your life.

Good day.

Phase
3rd December 2008, 02:32 PM
Mate, I'd love to argue with you. But if that is indeed you in your profile pic then that is punishment enough for you for the rest of your life.

Good day.

Oh no he didn't!

Bastard Sheep
3rd December 2008, 02:52 PM
Right, truly intelligent.

As was the question. Due to the question I was not aware an intelligent response was desired, however now that you have pointed this out you may have one.

I cannot think of a single product with an external power brick that doesn't have some that run relatively cool and some that run extremely hot to the degree of being barely touchable. It's the result of the market, companies (plural, all companies whether they're Dell, Apple or others) want to spend as little money as possible and consumers want something as small as possible, this results in generally low quality power bricks with minimal heat shielding and poor heat diffusion.

Many people recommend never using the power bricks that come with a product, ANY product, but rather buying third party ones from specific manufacturers (of which I cannot recall off the top of my head) to get better power regulation putting less stress on the device due to the quality of power it receives as well as doing this in a cooler way. Unfortunately Apple use their own proprietry connector between the brick and the device which screws this market up. Jump on Apple for this if you want, but I am yet to see anything Apple have been abused for that other competing companies have not done equally if not worse (the most recent being the HDCP - Vista has had HDMI for a lot longer and manufacturers have been building in HDMI compatible hardware).

If you're concerned, get a third party one. If you can live with it, then do so. I'm sure it's no worse than other laptop bricks come.

leon
3rd December 2008, 03:04 PM
My macbook charger is warm to the touch but I wouldn't say hot. It has never been overly hot to the touch, even when the battery is low and I'm using the machine.
That being said, my charger is rated at 65W whereas the Macbook Pro one is 85W.
If you are worried about it, I'd recommend going into an Apple store and just feeling what their Macbook Pro chargers feel like. If they are hot like yours, then I would just ignore it. If they are cool, then I would contact Apple about it.

Byrd
3rd December 2008, 03:25 PM
Suffice to say, this thread has run it's course. We are talking about power adapters here, and not lowering ourselves to personal attacks - get a life all! :p

To the OP: take it back, visit your local Mac store and ask them.

JB