PDA

View Full Version : Alu MacBook - Best price now

dche5390
2nd December 2008, 08:09 PM
I'm going to buy a base model alu MacBook within the next 3 days. With the 10% discount from JB Hifi expired, whats the best price I can get this for these days?

I am aware of the Powerhouse discount for employees but alas, I have no friends who work at woolies etc.

Cheers,
Daniel

NeoRicen
2nd December 2008, 08:18 PM
Education store? I know when I got my MacBook I got it at the educational price, they didn't try to confirm that I was a student (I am). If you're not a student then I'm not sure what the risks are for doing that. If you are a student and don't want to get it online the Sydney Apple Store (and Chatswood) will offer those prices ($2019 for the 2.0ghz, $2399 for the 2.4ghz, not very big discounts, but discounts nonetheless).

Huy
2nd December 2008, 08:20 PM
Daniel is a student. His username is a Sydney Uni login. :)

And try MacOnline.com.au
Apple MacBook 13" 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo (Aluminium) (http://www.maconline.com.au/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1850)
$1970.
+ $30 for courier to NSW.

= $2000. I'd just get it from the Apple Online EDU store or Apple Store Retail/Sydney at $2019. $19 is not worth it to wait for delivery from VIC.

LennyX
2nd December 2008, 08:33 PM
$1,989 with free shipping here:
Apple Macbook 13 inch 2.0Ghz Notebook - Digital Centre incl. LCD & Plasma TV, DVD players and all Home Theatre Systems (http://www.digitalcenter.com.au/p/646573/apple-macbook-13-inch-20ghz-notebook.html)

I haven't bought anything through them before though so I can't say how quick you'll get it (or if you'll get it at all). They look pretty legit from their website to me though.

halledise
2nd December 2008, 08:36 PM
I'm going to buy a base model alu MacBook within the next 3 days. With the 10% discount from JB Hifi expired, whats the best price I can get this for these days?

I am aware of the Powerhouse discount for employees but alas, I have no friends who work at woolies etc.

Cheers,
Daniel

take the tip and go for the 2.4 ghz unit - worth the additional $ - it screams by comparison to the 'base' model :thumbup:

edit) EDU pricing is the way to go . . . if you can . . .

alexzam93
2nd December 2008, 08:37 PM
this is cheating a bit but you could go to the education store get the price for the model you want then ring up or go to JB hi-fi and ask the if they could beat that price. I got a quote of one for $2349 about 50 bucks of the edu price.

dche5390
2nd December 2008, 08:37 PM
I think I'll get it for $2399 from Apple Edu store (can I go into a retail store and get one on the spot)? Or, if JB will better it, I'll go with them (I'll indicate that I will pay on the spot). I'm just very impatient when it comes to getting things I've paid for (even if it is next business day).

The only concern I have is upgrading the ram. How long will the "BTO" take for a simple job of upgrading from 2 to 4GB ddr3?

Not a USYD student anymore..just graduated...finally. However, the username is easiest to remember.

Supreme
2nd December 2008, 08:38 PM
Just take your student ID into the Apple Store and take that baby home!

NeoRicen
2nd December 2008, 08:41 PM
I think I'll get it for $2399 from Apple Edu store (can I go into a retail store and get one on the spot)? Or, if JB will better it, I'll go with them (I'll indicate that I will pay on the spot). I'm just very impatient when it comes to getting things I've paid for (even if it is next business day).

The only concern I have is upgrading the ram. How long will the "BTO" take for a simple job of upgrading from 2 to 4GB ddr3?

Not a USYD student anymore..just graduated...finally. However, the username is easiest to remember.
As Supreme said if you still have a student card dated this year then just take that in and they'll do it in store. If you want to upgrade the RAM I think they can do that right away in store, instead of waiting for the extra shipping time online.

Huy
2nd December 2008, 09:01 PM
I have a 2.4 MacBook Aluminium that I tried to sell to dche/Dan... what happened with that? ;)

I was asking $2300-2400.

And congrats on graduation - what did you study (or did I ask you this). I have 6 months to go. Hons/thesis next sem.

ne0x
2nd December 2008, 09:15 PM
HI Guys
i can get price from apple.com.au for macbook ALU 2.0ghz $1973.40 with the free shipping or 2.4ghz $2395.80 also with the free shipping, so those can be base for your digging, i got my 24" imac from david jones sydney for $2713 4 months ago, ya just gotta persist....

new
2.0GHz

* Intel Core 2 Duo
* 2GB DDR3 Memory
* 160GB hard drive1
* NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics

* Estimated Ship: Within 24hrs
* Free Shipping
* A$ 1,973.40

2.4GHz

* Intel Core 2 Duo
* 2GB DDR3 Memory
* 250GB hard drive1
* NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics

* Estimated Ship: Within 24hrs
* Free Shipping
* A$ 2,395.80

Huy
2nd December 2008, 10:08 PM
That's not really 'proof' frenchy. As anyone can type those numbers up.

You should just say EPP because that's what it is. ;)

dche5390
3rd December 2008, 05:49 PM
I got a 2.4Ghz MacBook for $2305 from Sydney City Myer - which I thought was a great price considering EDU discount is $2399. If only I had bought 2 $1000 Myer gift cards for $900 each from eBay...would have saved even more! But I think I'll give eBay a good long rest since my last purchase went...nowhere.

JB Hifi were arrogant (as usual) and offered me $2359 (still better than EDU but their service/saes attitude pushed me over the line to walking out).

Happily typing on my new MacBook after using Migration Assistant successfully (on my first ever attempt).

Mini-DVI to VGA: $49? GTFO!!! Even the Myer guy was shocked. He was expecting $29.

chrsha01
3rd December 2008, 05:52 PM
I got a 2.4Ghz MacBook for $2305 from Sydney City Myer - which I thought was a great price considering EDU discount is $2399. If only I had bought 2 $1000 Myer gift cards for $900 each from eBay...would have saved even more! But I think I'll give eBay a good long rest since my last purchase went...nowhere.

JB Hifi were arrogant (as usual) and offered me $2359 (still better than EDU but their service/saes attitude pushed me over the line to walking out).

Happily typing on my new MacBook after using Migration Assistant successfully (on my first ever attempt).

Mini-DVI to VGA: $49? GTFO!!! Even the Myer guy was shocked. He was expecting $29.

Nice deal, have to be happy with that. :)

Enjoy!

dche5390
3rd December 2008, 06:01 PM
Do you mean Mini Display Port to VGA adapter? They are $45 on the apple online store..

Mini-DVI to VGA is only $25

Hmmm...I think it was the mini-display to VGA then. The one that is needed for the new MacBook to connect to my Plasma. Probably was $45 too..but still..thats one inflated accessory.

lazydesi
3rd December 2008, 06:10 PM
$1990 free delivery

Apple Macbook 13 inch 2.0Ghz Notebook - Digital Centre incl. LCD & Plasma TV, DVD players and all Home Theatre Systems (http://www.digitalcentre.com.au/p/646573/apple-macbook-13-inch-20ghz-notebook.html)

dche5390
3rd December 2008, 06:14 PM
$1990 free delivery

Apple Macbook 13 inch 2.0Ghz Notebook - Digital Centre incl. LCD & Plasma TV, DVD players and all Home Theatre Systems (http://www.digitalcentre.com.au/p/646573/apple-macbook-13-inch-20ghz-notebook.html)

Having being recently scammed $1300 from eBay, I will only buy from trusted retailers such as DSE, Myer, DJs, JB, and from Apple direct. Not to say that the above link is dodge but who knows? I've learnt to pay the extra amount for piece of mind (whilst haggling like a deranged chinese lady at a market).

I could have gotten the same model MacBook for $1830 delivered from VIC as well. There was a thread floating around titled $1799 MacBook a few weeks ago. To my knowledge, the price of $1830 is still available.

Huy
3rd December 2008, 06:16 PM
Congrats on your purchase! :)

ashIV
3rd December 2008, 07:26 PM
$1,989 with free shipping here:
Apple Macbook 13 inch 2.0Ghz Notebook - Digital Centre incl. LCD & Plasma TV, DVD players and all Home Theatre Systems (http://www.digitalcenter.com.au/p/646573/apple-macbook-13-inch-20ghz-notebook.html)

I haven't bought anything through them before though so I can't say how quick you'll get it (or if you'll get it at all). They look pretty legit from their website to me though.

this place is like 5mins from my place and they have been there for quiet a while. They are legit but then again i have never ordered any apple products from them so i can comment on that.

djiashi
4th December 2008, 11:33 AM
good choice dche on purchasing from a trusted source. i purchased my imac (which just sold to a member of this forum) from myer too after discounted to a pretty good price and last month just received my myerone gift card of 60 dollars. now, im trying to figure out what to use it on. haha

luztra
4th December 2008, 03:37 PM
I purchased my Macbook [2.4GHz/2GB RAM/250GB HDD] yesterday afternoon from JB Cockburn Gateway (WA) for $2133. Here is the receipt. (http://www.luztra.com/stuff/macbook.jpg)

EDIT:
I just wanted to add I heard about this price from another forum and walked in and asked for the same deal and the guy said sure (and yes I am on the latest aluminum Macbook).

Alessiman
4th December 2008, 03:42 PM
I purchased my Macbook [2.4GHz/2GB RAM/ 250GB HDD] yesterday afternoon from JB Hifi for $2133. Here is the receipt. (http://www.luztra.com/stuff/macbook.jpg)

I am more impressed you bought the Tudors on BluRay. What a fantastic series in HiDef :)

Oh, the receipt will come in handy too for people looking for a good price on Alu Macbooks

luztra
4th December 2008, 03:46 PM
I am more impressed you bought the Tudors on BluRay. What a fantastic series in HiDef :)

I can't take credit for that; my husband actually got that, but we started watching it last night and it is not bad. :)

BoxDog
9th December 2008, 06:03 AM
For anybody in Bris there's a bloke on eBay selling a 2.0 unibody "new in box" for $1700 buy now. It's pickup only so if he can produce a receipt and a believable story, you've got yoirself a bargain!!

I am on iPhone ATM so can't paste link sorry. But do a search on MacBook 2.0 wts, you should find it.

BoxDog
9th December 2008, 06:13 AM
Oh, btw I'm one of the ppl that got the $1799 MacBook Dhce was talking about. Still delighted with it and think I got a bargain. FYI I get EPP discount on Apple gear thru work and can get the 2.0 unibody direct from apple, free delivery, for $1970 if anyone's interested. The $45 ripoff dvi/VGA cable above goes down to $41 something. Wow $4 saving!! ;)

dche5390
9th December 2008, 07:16 AM
Ah, another lucky person with a $2133 2.4Ghz MB. I've decided to sell my newly purchased MB and use my MBA instead. If that doesn't work out, I'll pick up a cheap MB again.

Now to flog my MB on eBay for lotsa mooola.

Personally, I've had no luck with JB Hifi in Sydney CBD (even armed with 2 receipts). Perhaps its because I loathe most of the sales staff there.

vargz
9th December 2008, 07:21 AM
Ah, another lucky person with a $2133 2.4Ghz MB. I've decided to sell my newly purchased MB and use my MBA instead. If that doesn't work out, I'll pick up a cheap MB again.

After all that, you are selling it ... and yet, you may buy one again :confused:

Man, you are making me dizzy.

If the MBA wasn't suitable before, it won't be now. Same goes for the MB!

zigzagler
9th December 2008, 03:29 PM
anyone have any luck with Myers lately? Price match?

BoxDog
9th December 2008, 09:32 PM

So you get scammed buying an Air, get scammed on a fake MB, go somewhere and pay RRP for a real MB (and get scammed a third time), then sell your new MB (for a loss) to go back to your Air? Priceless.