PDA

View Full Version : Nokia N97

jppat
2nd December 2008, 07:17 PM
Looks nice! But will it be an iPhone killer?

Nokia unveils flagship N97 phone - Engadget (http://www.engadget.com/2008/12/02/nokia-unveils-flagship-n97-phone/)
Nokia N97 vs iPhone... Fight! - Engadget (http://www.engadget.com/2008/12/02/nokia-n97-vs-iphone-fight/)

NeoRicen
2nd December 2008, 07:37 PM
Pretty impressive, and certainly beats the iPhone specs wise, but I wanna have a good look at the interface in action before I judge.

Definitely the strongest iPhone competition by far.

EDIT: Ok, watched the short video. Very very nice. Still, it doesn't solve the things I like about the iPhone, namely the iTunes integration, Apps (yet) and I still prefer the general design style of the iPhone. However, I won't blame anyone for wanting one.

Without a doubt though, the best thing about this is that it will push Apple to improve their next iPhone, the same way the iPhone pushed Nokia to make this. One thing Leo Laporte said (Twit, MacBreak) when the iPhone came out is that at the very least it will make other phones better, and he was right.

lazydesi
2nd December 2008, 07:44 PM
new iphone killer

I think this time Nokia will beat iphone

sjobs
2nd December 2008, 07:47 PM
I'll be buying one. I'm genuinely disappointed at the lack of the Xenon flash though. :(

vecsty
2nd December 2008, 07:52 PM
----------------

cjuiz
2nd December 2008, 07:53 PM
I want this, but with the iPhone OS...haha.

NeoRicen
2nd December 2008, 07:54 PM
"The Nokia N97 is expected to begin shipping in the first half of 2009 at an estimated retail price of EUR 550 before taxes or subsidies."

By the time the N97 ships the iPhone will be updated.. in the first half of 2009.
Nothing like telling your competition what your up to.
HIGHLY doubt it, I wouldn't expect a new iPhone any sooner than WWDC, and since there's no huge demand features like 3G, Apple could probably afford to wait a little longer.

Phormic
2nd December 2008, 07:54 PM
Again Nokia are trying to overcome serious deficiencies in software by cramming in as much hardware in as possible.

The future will be a battle of software platforms and not hardware specs. Symbian is limited, won't win and a camera with a Carl Zeiss lens won't change that.

If Nokia adopt Android after its kinks are worked out then they might be onto something.

Phase
2nd December 2008, 07:55 PM
Yep. The N97 will hit shelves about a month before Steve unveils the new iPhone.

Welp, there goes that.

NeoRicen
2nd December 2008, 08:03 PM
Again Nokia are trying to overcome serious deficiencies in software by cramming in as much hardware in as possible.

The future will be a battle of software platforms and not hardware specs. Symbian is limited, won't win and a camera with a Carl Zeiss lens won't change that.

If Nokia adopt Android after its kinks are worked out then they might be onto something.
Watching that video, I'd MUCH rather use S60 than Android. Did you even watch the video of the Software in action?

vecsty
2nd December 2008, 08:20 PM
----------------

Supreme
2nd December 2008, 08:23 PM
Nokia seems to introduce a new phone every week. ::rolleyes:

NeoRicen
2nd December 2008, 08:25 PM
First half of 2009 is marketing talk for mid year at best. You will see some type of upgrade to the iphone by mid year 2009.
You're right, I misread H1 2009 on Engadget as Q1 2009.

dolbinau
2nd December 2008, 08:30 PM
Nokia seems to introduce a new phone every week. ::rolleyes:

This phone is special.

Supreme
2nd December 2008, 08:32 PM
This phone is special.

They all are... right? :/

dolbinau
2nd December 2008, 08:37 PM
Well Nokia have a very, very diverse market so they have a diverse range of phones. This phone could potentially/finally be an iPhone killer (certainly not in sales, but technically). I think it is completely justified :P.

halledise
2nd December 2008, 08:41 PM
kill the iPhone? - I don't think so

Dust For Eyes
2nd December 2008, 08:42 PM
That N97 sure looks huge. Looks to be about the same length as an iPhone, but with about double the thickness. That's quite a bulge in the pocket.

NeoRicen
2nd December 2008, 08:43 PM
That N97 sure looks huge. Looks to be about the same length as an iPhone, but with about double the thickness. That's quite a bulge in the pocket.
No thicker than most smartphones, the iPhone is actually pretty thin.

tangent23
2nd December 2008, 09:14 PM
the interface response and tactility looks a bit clunky

spilla
2nd December 2008, 09:45 PM
the interface response and tactility looks a bit clunky

I was just about to mention the exact same thing. :p

The transitions between screens/apps look jumpy/laggy, and while the home screen looks awesome, it gives me the impression that the UI designers did the rest in a mad rush.

The hardware looks awesome though. (and looks a shit-load better than the G1 http://spilla.net/files/lol.gif)

iGobbleoff
2nd December 2008, 09:47 PM
yeah, looking at the movements, didnt look as crisp/clean as the UI on the iPhone

decryption
2nd December 2008, 09:47 PM
Meh, even if it is better, the iPhone has a nice, re-assuring Apple logo on it.

wmyeoh
2nd December 2008, 10:13 PM
I wonder if that ad will get pulled in the UK for unrealistically fast transitions between operations...

LithgowLights
2nd December 2008, 10:21 PM
Meh, even if it is better, the iPhone has a nice, re-assuring Apple logo on it.

Yep true, but that only reassures people like you ;)

Kuma
2nd December 2008, 10:40 PM
Does it talk to my iMac?
and seamlessly sync my tunes, movies, contacts and calendar?

yes or no?

that then makes the decision for me... oh.. and is it available in Japan? oh the answer to that is NO! so bingo.. no Nokia here.

forno
3rd December 2008, 09:01 AM
Im over the whole idea of an iPhone killer, not because I think "the iPhone is the best" .
The iPhone does its own thing in terms of form factor and features, its "competitors" all try and intergrate what the y see as the best features from all their competitors and therefore end up releasing a mixed bag that ends up to complicated in form and features.

Why a qwerty and a touch screen for instance??

d_mini
3rd December 2008, 10:27 AM
It looks a little clunky to me, doesn't seem to be as slick as the iPhone

tkilik11
3rd December 2008, 05:25 PM
the slide function looks crummy its really stiff

adamerr
3rd December 2008, 08:53 PM
i really dont understand why people persist in "paying out" the iPhone in a forum dedicated to the quite content, and somewhat defensive, users of the device.

- grabs phone and hisses -

on a more lighter note, i doubt any device we have seen so far comes close to rivaling the iPhones UI, but certainly the phones that dont seem to beat the iPhone feature wise.

besides.
its just a phone :)

simplynick
3rd December 2008, 09:34 PM
Only thing is has on the iphone is the fact that when watching video it has a built in stand which makes it like 2.5 times thicker. I solved that issue with a paper clip anyway.i think the N97 will be a great paper weight on my desk, like one of those $2 organisers.

macnwindows
4th December 2008, 02:36 PM
It has all the 'features' that Nokia generally packs with their higher models but by the time it is released and tested, Steve & Co. will be ready to announce the next version of iPhone. It will be also costly outright like other Nokia N series phones. It looks a thicker and doesn't have that form factor. And obviously the missing Apple at the back :D.

I can't see anyone producing an iPhone killer in near future except Apple, by introducing newer versions of the iPhone.

shortlex
4th December 2008, 02:44 PM
It has all the 'features' that Nokia generally packs with their higher models but by the time it is released and tested, Steve & Co. will be ready to announce the next version of iPhone. It will be also costly outright like other Nokia N series phones. It looks a thicker and doesn't have that form factor. And obviously the missing Apple at the back :D.

I can't see anyone producing an iPhone killer in near future except Apple, by introducing newer versions of the iPhone.

early than that, with the ever updating firmware
*awaits 2.3

Beau
5th December 2008, 11:37 PM
Only thing I like which I wish the iPhone had - expandable memory.

16GB onboard, and you can add up to 16GB more with a memory card. Awesome! :)

mab
5th December 2008, 11:53 PM
Only thing I like which I wish the iPhone had - expandable memory.

16GB onboard, and you can add up to 16GB more with a memory card. Awesome! :)

The article says it has 32GB on board and is expandable to 48GB, even more awesome

Beau
5th December 2008, 11:55 PM
Ah yes, my bad.
32GB onboard, and you can add up to 16GB more via memory card.

If Nokia has a 32GB phone, this must mean that a 32GB iPhone can't be too far away!

NeoRicen
6th December 2008, 11:05 PM
Goddamnit, just read that this phone uses a resistive touch screen. First Blackberry, now Nokia, how bloody stupid can these companies get!? The whole reason the iPhone's touchscreen is so great is because it's capacitive touch, and doesn't require wasted time and effort pressing down onto the screen to register a click, it's just a light tap and off you go.

Dumbasses.

Soliah
7th December 2008, 06:12 PM
Goddamnit, just read that this phone uses a resistive touch screen. First Blackberry, now Nokia, how bloody stupid can these companies get!? The whole reason the iPhone's touchscreen is so great is because it's capacitive touch, and doesn't require wasted time and effort pressing down onto the screen to register a click, it's just a light tap and off you go.

Dumbasses.

And the Blackberry Storm actually requires a physical click of the screen. Must be horrible for quick typers.