PDA

View Full Version : Which laptop?

Muzza_77
29th November 2008, 10:48 PM
Hello Mactalkers,

Its the time of year for me to buy a laptop for Uni next year and really, I'm not sure which would be best for my needs. I'll be doing an industrial design course, so lots of 2D and 3D intensive applications. Pretty much what factors are important for my needs? -
- faster processor?
- more memory?
- bigger and better graphic cards?

any help is much appreciated, cheers.

cosmichobo
29th November 2008, 10:52 PM
All 3 basically... tho really - I don't think it makes a huge difference these days... anything over 2GHz processor will be fine and dandy... it's always best idea to fit as much RAM as you can afford... (though many say don't go with Apple for that - buy it 3rd party after the Mac arrives) and graphics cards... well not my field...

Just glad you didn't say... "I don't really need to take it anywhere except having it on my desk"... because people like that shouldn't have the right to buy a laptop... they remind me of 4WD mommas... and should all be shot...

decryption
29th November 2008, 10:52 PM
15" MacBook Pro with 4GB of RAM and a 7200RPM HDD.
Next question please.

NeoRicen
29th November 2008, 11:04 PM
Wouldn't Industrial design require AutoCAD? If so you'd either need a PC or Boot Camp.

Muzza_77
30th November 2008, 07:21 AM
Sweet, thanks for the replies. Nah not so much AutoCAD but more SolidWorks or Rhino which does require boot camp...

with the previous MBP's running the GeForce 8600M GT, is there a noticeable difference between 256mb and 512mb?

Dust For Eyes
30th November 2008, 09:12 AM
Does Rhino work with Bootcamp or any of the other
Windows on Mac methods? I've got a feeling it doesn't.

SilverJ
30th November 2008, 10:18 AM
Perhaps a refurb MBP would be great for you.
Buy a 4GB RAM kit from Ram City for it cheap, and then sell off the RAM that came with it from Apple.
No such thing as Apple anyway, my RAM from Apple was Samsung, but I sold the RAM on here anyway easily.

Muzza_77
30th November 2008, 11:02 AM
yeah I'll be looking at refurbs. I'll be definitely buying ram from somewhere else.

How does a MB (previous or current gen) run adobe creative suite apps?

regarding rhino, I don't have a clue, but thanks for the heads up I'll check that out. But on another note, Rhino OS X is in development so thats cool.

Just another question, how would a previous gen (2.4) macbook handle solidworks?

Muzza_77
2nd December 2008, 06:13 AM
well thanks everyone for all your help, yesterday I purchased a MBP 2.5Ghz Refurb. should come today, can't wait!!

geektechnu
2nd December 2008, 06:24 AM
Does Rhino work with Bootcamp or any of the other
Windows on Mac methods? I've got a feeling it doesn't.
Rhino on the Intel Mac (http://en.wiki.mcneel.com/default.aspx/McNeel/RhinoMacSupport.html)

The user reports at the site above suggest that Rhino works in:

- Bootcamp
- Parallels
- Vmware