PDA

View Full Version : More women than men are buying the iPhone!

Beau
29th November 2008, 05:51 PM
Yes, it shocked me too! :p

News.com.au claims that up to 70% (according to one source) of the people buying the iPhone are women!

Thoughts? :P
Is it really because

Women say it's because they can multi-task

Link (http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,24724169-2,00.html?from=public_rss) - Digg (http://digg.com/apple/More_women_than_men_are_buying_Apple_s_iPhones)

Phase
29th November 2008, 05:51 PM
Women say it's because they can multi-task

Well the iPhone sure as shit can't.

dotComrade
29th November 2008, 06:01 PM
I've definitely see more women then men with iPhones... But then again, I'm not looking as close at men then women ;)

Jaffa
29th November 2008, 06:07 PM
I've definitely see more women then men with iPhones... But then again, I'm not looking as close at men then women ;)

Bahaha!

Rant
29th November 2008, 08:49 PM
Anecdotally, I'd say that's correct. Although I'd say women are more intersted in phones than men, anyway. Women like to communicate and telcos are delighted to have tech that women are REALLY interested in. It's a bit hard to distinguish with >100% penetration, but in the general sense, women buy more phones than men, if you get what I mean.

2 reasons for the skew to women for iPhone:

Men are specs driven, and for a lot of them, it's the phone with the biggest list of features.

Women are less concerned with specs & more about look & function.

So what does that say about MMS? Women, the natural communicators aren't so attached to MMS? That's possible, especially in the demographic able to afford iPhone. Younger women? Probably more interested in MMS.

Maybe more women than men wanted a genuine iPod in their phone. I'd guess more women buy iPods, too, for similar reasons... "Men" would rather spend less and get more capacity & so-what if you have to jump through a few hoops to get files on and off the device, it's got more GB, damnit!

What do you think?

EdgeOfQuarrel
29th November 2008, 09:11 PM
I think it's cause one of the hags from Sex in the city was seen using one somewhere....

kyncaid
29th November 2008, 09:28 PM
aren't there statistically more women than men anyway, so even if the %'s are the same the numbers will be higher

shortlex
29th November 2008, 09:34 PM
from where I am from, they say that men won't get the iphone because you can't send and receive stuff from blue tooth! I don't really mind as such!

Kuma
29th November 2008, 09:58 PM
because men are more than happy to tinker with the tech... women just want a phone that works.

ClockWork
29th November 2008, 10:04 PM
Age range?

School girls seem to just lurv texting each other while sitting next to each other, plus sending their crappy mp3s through Bluetooth to one another.

rjch
29th November 2008, 11:20 PM
Because M ≤ W?

wmyeoh
29th November 2008, 11:32 PM
Because M ≤ W?

I hardly think that differential is that significant:

Demographics of Australia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Australia#Sex_ratio)

NeoRicen
29th November 2008, 11:40 PM
I wonder how many of them are mothers signing up for contracts for their kids.

iCameron
29th November 2008, 11:42 PM
I've definitely see more women then men with iPhones... But then again, I'm not looking as close at women then men ;)

I'm terribly sorry about this. I couldn't resist! :D

I think it's cause one of the hags from Sex in the city was seen using one somewhere....

All the movie stars use it, and women feel that if they don't they become socially retarded.

Sure, i'm not speaking for ALL women, but... EdgeOfQuarrel is onto something here.

As geeks we couldn't give a rat's ass if it's "cool":cool: or not.

rjch
29th November 2008, 11:50 PM
Sorry, I meant if women were using iPhones more than men then women were better than men. It was a cheap response to EdgeOfQuarrel who said "I think it's cause one of the hags from Sex in the city was seen using one somewhere...." EdgeOfQuarrel is pitiful. He is the type of person who makes a joke about blind by mentioning that they cannot see.

NeoRicen
29th November 2008, 11:55 PM
Age range?

School girls seem to just lurv texting each other while sitting next to each other, plus sending their crappy mp3s through Bluetooth to one another.
So why would they want an iPhone? :p

iCarllovesapple
30th November 2008, 12:07 AM
I don't mean to be racist but I have seen a-lot of Asians and Europeans with iPhones!
I think it's fantastic that people all over the world are buying this fantastic device!
What are your thoughts? :)

iCameron
30th November 2008, 12:13 AM
So why would they want an iPhone? :p

because that's what's "cool" at the moment, teenagers as a majority are dumb. They most likely don't even know how to install 3rd party app's and only have the phone to impress their friends. I have evidence of this as well, as i go to a school where students parents are in high income brackets and atleast 30-40 people have iPhones in my grade alone. It's absolutely stupid.

Also

Teenagers will buy ANYTHING that "celebrity's" are using and also other people will as well, however women are more interested in such things

Evidence to back up my point: celebrity iphone - Google Image Search (http://images.google.com.au/images?um=1&hl=en&q=celebrity+iphone&btnG=Search+Images)

This is why women are buying iPhones to be like these sluts that are in putting filth on our screens and slutting up our cinema's. Gah i hate the whole "celebrity" thing, make me sick to my stomach.

DISCLAIMER: As i do favour women, i must say that this is only SOME women and is not to be used against me... :thumbup:

QueenOfSwords
30th November 2008, 01:22 AM
Hmmmm... it could be that a lot of guys who would have bought an iPhone, already have business-supplied Blackberries? And then you have tradies, who wouldn't buy them either as they are too fragile. That could account for some of the discrepancy.
Not that there aren't women who fall into the above categories.

/His and hers iPhone household here

Syrecx
30th November 2008, 04:30 AM
I reckon, its the guys who wants to buy the iphones, instead, they buy it for their mrs cos they can't get any!

simplynick
30th November 2008, 07:40 AM
It makes sense it is one of the best looking phones out there at the moment, it is dead easy to use, and it's up there as far as fashion/ status. That's what women want. Whereas geeks love the ui and the appleness of it. So it's just coincidence really.

feeze
30th November 2008, 08:24 AM
aren't there statistically more women than men anyway, so even if the %'s are the same the numbers will be higher

But the ratio is bias towards the mid to older generations. (30 and above)

The 0-10, 10-20, 20-30 are majority men.

I don't mean to be racist but I have seen a-lot of Asians and Europeans with iPhones!
I think it's fantastic that people all over the world are buying this fantastic device!
What are your thoughts? :)

Umm, how is that racist? It is no more racist then the headline article is sexist. :)

I too think it is fantastic that iPhone is selling well world wide. Especially in the markets that have been traditionally very competitive and advanced with phone technology.

ANd if it is popular amongst women whom are traditionally considered less technology oriented, then even better. Apple has hit a little gold mine.

tempestas
30th November 2008, 08:40 AM
Another thought is that in general female mobile usage is likely to be of a value and range that easily meets existing plan pricing for that newest phone, male usage in general makes outright or lower cost plans more likely.

I think there is also a deliberate marketing of the iPod and iPhone at the female demographic. I'm totally unsurprised by this suggestion. I suspect that the ease of use is a key in generating new female buyers.

Jimbo
30th November 2008, 10:16 AM
Girls are delicious!

shortlex
30th November 2008, 10:18 AM
Girls are delicious!

ice cream is too!

Zem
30th November 2008, 10:46 AM
It makes sense it is one of the best looking phones out there at the moment, it is dead easy to use, and it's up there as far as fashion/ status. That's what women want.

Or we just want something that has many levels of usefulness. I don't lug my laptop around nearly as much now as the iPhone can do everything I need on the run.

With technology changing so fast I hate going on plans but I justified my 2-year iPhone plan with the knowledge that it's at least two years ahead of most other phones anyway.

Jimbo
30th November 2008, 10:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo
Girls are delicious!

ice cream is too!

Have you ever combined these two? Now THAT is a match made in heaven

but seriously, more girls are bying them, because they're mad. Its not a fashion statement, or anything like that... They are just simply awesome!

Rant
30th November 2008, 09:38 PM
I think it's cause one of the WOMEN from Sex in the city was seen using one somewhere....

The one who had been living in California, naturally.

It appeared in many scenes, including sending a photo to a Blackberry.

Using it? It was the feature of a joke. They even showed the home screen (and since they didn't show the Apple logo, I don't think it was product placement).

... But not role models for teenagers. Their worries are whether they have a flip phone or a slide phone (flip phones are O.U.T.). They are not the iPhone demographic, I mentioned. "Women" who can afford to buy their own phones.

givememac
1st December 2008, 01:29 AM
I'd agree.
(Yes I am a women, yes I like and watch sex and the city, and no Samantha isn't a hag)
My reasons;
-Women are more concerned with fashion and being 'up-to-date', the iPhone (really) has become an 'accessory' (just like iPods)
-Guys (and i know a few who have actually said this to me) dont carry around purses or handbags, they chuck their phones in their pockets, meaning they are more likely to break, I also think guys tend to be careless with their phones (especially when drunk)
-Women aren't as "wtf how do I use this thing" regarding technology as many guys think we are!!

ZacDavies
1st December 2008, 01:52 AM
One day I'll realize a local twinkle user is that cute girl on the same carriage.. and it will be beautiful..

Supreme
1st December 2008, 07:05 AM
The iPhone is very fashionable which is why women love it.

scruffie
1st December 2008, 07:17 AM
Wasn't there a phase where every chick wanted those Samsung phones with fake diamonds in it?