PDA

View Full Version : iPhone 3G v2

Kuma
29th November 2008, 09:00 AM
So we have all had our iPhones for a few months now (some longer some less) and I'm wondering from a hardware point of view -

Assuming your current phone is in good to great condition - what hardware changes (improvements/changes) would get you to upgrade?

For me a better camera would be a tempting point. Extra storage would be nice too, but that won't be enough to make me upgrade.

chaosboi
29th November 2008, 09:42 AM
it needs more memory than 128mb to help prevent crashing apps.
Other than than I'm happy with the phone

Just wish Optus had a network like hellstra.

chrism238
29th November 2008, 10:12 AM
it needs more memory than 128mb to help prevent crashing apps.Which well written apps require more than 128MB?

Piratbyran
29th November 2008, 10:36 AM
Backgrounder chews up memory, but I love backgrounder. So i can live with it.

Phase
29th November 2008, 10:51 AM
Which well written apps require more than 128MB?

Safari. ;)

Also, it needs more memory to allow higher bitrate music to not crash other apps.

Jonno92
29th November 2008, 11:11 AM
It needs a 5MP+ camera. It also needs a bit more memory, and perhaps a higher CPU and louder speakers..
The idea of the iPhone is awesome but Apple were tightasses when creating it.. They should have done it with the above features the first time, along with a Video recorder, sound recorder, bluetooth sending/receiving and copy/paste and they would have been so much more successful..

Kuma
29th November 2008, 11:22 AM
I don't care about the MPs - I just want a heaps better sensor. 2MP is fine but something faster and better in bad light. Louder speaker would be good too

Everything else you mention is firmware upgradeable so it is very possible that the current phone could get those capabilities (or some of them) in the near future.

Jonno92
29th November 2008, 12:54 PM
Yeah they can add video camera but it's not going to be good quality.. Also, the camera is pretty crap..
Memory isn't upgradeable by firmware... CPU speed is, but then battery life goes down..

I should have added a better battery to the list..

NeoRicen
29th November 2008, 01:34 PM
More RAM, auto focus on the camera (dont care about sensor/mp), for those would-be apps that need you to scan small objects like barcodes, a compass for Maps and an extra ring for the headphone jack so it can use volume control on the new headphones.

No physical keyboard!

Sibelius
29th November 2008, 01:41 PM
More RAM, so I can finally get rid of my old 40GB iPod...

leon
29th November 2008, 01:51 PM
Faster CPU and more RAM.
Wireless sync with computer.

nard
29th November 2008, 02:16 PM
A forward facing video camera for video calls.

Jonno92
29th November 2008, 02:21 PM
More RAM, so I can finally get rid of my old 40GB iPod...

What does RAM have to do with that?.. I think you mean HDD size lol..

A forward facing video camera for video calls.

Do people actually do video calls?..

nard
29th November 2008, 02:25 PM
Do people actually do video calls?..

No, of course not. I want one in order to not use it at all. :confused:

Sibelius
29th November 2008, 02:37 PM
What does RAM have to do with that?.. I think you mean HDD size lol..

Well if you're going to be pedantic, the iPhone doesn't have a HDD either -- it uses flash memory!

pengu
29th November 2008, 02:45 PM
It needs a 5MP+ camera. It also needs a bit more memory, and perhaps a higher CPU and louder speakers..
The idea of the iPhone is awesome but Apple were tightasses when creating it.. They should have done it with the above features the first time, along with a Video recorder, sound recorder, bluetooth sending/receiving and copy/paste and they would have been so much more successful..

um. 5mp? in a phone? you DO realise that megapixels don't mean shit if you have a crappy sensor or bad optics right?

more memory means more space
higher cpu means more heat and more power
louder speakers means more power

that means either less battery life or a bigger battery

so basically that means the device would be twice as thick and get hot as all hell.

as for being tightasses as you call them. it wouldnt cost THEM more money, it would cost YOU more money. which means less people would buy the device, and it wouldn't be as sucessful as it is, and less companies would be willing to develop services for the device.

rickyd
29th November 2008, 03:21 PM
Some of you guys are so off the mark. Go try assemble a group of designers and engineers who will duplicate the iPhone with all your dreams inbuilt.

It's hardly possible.

I think Apple have done a fantastic job in working with what space and resources they have - and so do most gracious consumers.

Kuma
29th November 2008, 04:00 PM
I think Apple have done a fantastic job in working with what space and resources they have - and so do most gracious consumers.

I don't disagree... I was more wondering... not what are the shortfalls... what would get you to upgrade.....

grorr76
29th November 2008, 04:58 PM
I love mine just wish it had a slightly more solid feel and was thinner.

andrewhollo
29th November 2008, 05:44 PM
I just want a battery which lasts an entire day! That alone would compel me to upgrade.

Andrew

Geoff3DMN
29th November 2008, 06:00 PM
I'd like a 32gb version and a bit more battery life.

I'm hoping that increasing chip density in the next couple of years will result in reduced power consumption and allow extra memory in the same form factor in a slightly updated V3 device.

godsdice
29th November 2008, 06:22 PM
Just got one yesterday and i am waiting for it to be unlocked.
At the moment i am still liking my windows powered PDA phone better.

nard
29th November 2008, 06:24 PM
I don't disagree... I was more wondering... not what are the shortfalls... what would get you to upgrade.....

It's a good question, Kuma, and it was in that spirit that I gave my answer. If an iPhone capable of making video calls was released on Monday I'd be lining up to upgrade.

Kuma
29th November 2008, 09:46 PM
I just want a battery which lasts an entire day! That alone would compel me to upgrade.

Andrew

Mophie Juice Pack will see you through... (although it will add bulk - see my review in this section).

It's a good question, Kuma, and it was in that spirit that I gave my answer. If an iPhone capable of making video calls was released on Monday I'd be lining up to upgrade.

yeah... it would be cool..but it is not something that I would rush out for.

I am actually having a lot of trouble thinking of things from a hardware point of view that would have me biting the bullet and buying a new phone tomorrow. If it could take photos like the Nikon D700 or something like that.. it would get me to rush out straight away... but failing that... hmmm

and it is this reason that I ask... I have the MJP so battery is no longer a real issue for me...
almost every shortfall is upgradeable by software... so what can Apple do that can really excite people to upgrade.

The form factor is limited by the screen size... sure they can improve the chipset, the storage capacity and the RAM all that is nice but is it worthy of an annual or bi annual upgrade?

Japanese cell phones are ultimately fashion accessories... with functionality between models barely changing... it is now more about what looks good in your pocket, and the seasons latest colours.. (with literally seasonal changes to the line up) - for these phones it is all about design more than anything else.

But for the iPhone... the design is limited... and I don't think anything there will make me want to spend my money (especially in these economic times) upgrading...

So.. I'm really racking my brains... what would make you drop hundreds of $$ on monday for a new iPhone... I got nards answer.. what's yours.

gelfie
29th November 2008, 10:20 PM
More onboard RAM for apps/OS to run in. 256MB minimum.

Cut and Paste

Higher Resolution Screen

Crop/Color in the photos app

Tag photos to email in one go

Country postfixes on web/email keyboards

@ key on the main keyboard for web/email

TomTom built in or in the App Store (has apple killed this or what?)

Louder Alert sounds; stronger vibrate

Compatibility with new iPod touch headphones.

Percentage option for remaining battery display.

Flash in Safari; sorry Steve, you'll have to give in on this one, a large chunk of the internet is missing without it.

Safari needs to parse faster; or the cpu clock needs to be upped.

Kuma
29th November 2008, 10:31 PM
wondering what part of hardware you don't understand... so I fixed it for you.

more onboard ram for apps/os to run in. 256mb minimum.

cut and paste

higher resolution screen

crop/color in the photos app

tag photos to email in one go

country postfixes on web/email keyboards

@ key on the main keyboard for web/email

tomtom built in or in the app store (has apple killed this or what?)

louder alert sounds; stronger vibrate

compatibility with new ipod touch headphones.

percentage option for remaining battery display.

Flash in safari; sorry steve, you'll have to give in on this one, a large chunk of the internet is missing without it.

safari needs to parse faster; or the cpu clock needs to be upped.

decryption
29th November 2008, 10:33 PM
A different shade of black and maybe if it came with a different limited edition colour USB cable.
If Apple started asking for donations, I'd give them all I own. I am fanboy, hear me roar.

NeoRicen
29th November 2008, 11:01 PM
Higher Resolution Screen

This one's interesting. I'd love a high resolution screen, but Apple has shown zero signs of how they'd even be able to do this. The phones UI just doesn't seem very scalable, they've given no indication (that I'm aware of) to developers that they need to make their UIs scalable. I've seen tons of apps using an image as part of the UI that just wouldn't be able to scale.

The only way I can see this happening is that with whatever iPhone is released with a higher-res screen they release the 3.0 Software or something that will require developers to make their apps compatible with the new screen resolution/make them scalable so they'll work in the new OS.

Samb0
29th November 2008, 11:07 PM
id like Longer battery life and to be able to pull out the battery and put a new charged one in. More space

iCameron
29th November 2008, 11:56 PM
Open Source Platform

Oh... I'm sorry i was looking for a Android (NOT G1)

Really, Android on an iPhone AMAZING!

I expect the iPhone3G v2 to use the latest technology available and nothing else. All these features would be nice to have, and we will eventually have as the chips get better and better!

but i must admit as of now, the iPod Touch atleast is abit strained on hardware, the iPhone OS + 3rd Party Apps are pushing the tiny ARM processor to it's max.

I dont know what the fuss about a "copy-paste" is, it's obvious that Steve doesn't want it, and remember everyone:

Steve knows best!

nard
30th November 2008, 07:24 AM
Kuma, I just thought of another one: 900MHz capable 3G radio

Kuma
30th November 2008, 07:33 AM
id like Longer battery life and to be able to pull out the battery and put a new charged one in. More space

So if that phone was released tomorrow - you'd upgrade?

gumby08
30th November 2008, 07:38 AM
I'd like the little silver apple logo to be scratch-proof, as that's the only evidence of any wear or tear on my iPhone since July. :)

LithgowLights
30th November 2008, 11:33 AM
I guess doubling most things would be a good start.

1. More RAM for applications, 256MB would be nice.

2. More storage space - 32GB and 64GB versions. I would like a bit more space than is available on my 16GB phone, but I can live with the limitation.

3. I dont necessarily want removeable storage or a removeable battery, but maybe a design with a connector/pads on the back so you can clip on something on the back that gives these abilities. Similar to the batteries that plug in the bottom, but on the back, and thus are a lot more stable and less likely to cause problems for people - it just makes the phone thicker

4. Higher res screen would be great, but not a selling point for me, but it might be ok

5. Faster CPU. While this will mean higher battery usage, that would only occur if the CPU runs at a fixed speed or is adjustable and is being run flat out.

6. Longer battery life through a higher capacity battery or greater battery saving techniques.

7: 900Mhz 3G too - I really want that as thats what is installed <200 meters from home - I have to go outside to get a different tower on the iPhone to get 3G

All of these would have advanced since the iPhone 3G was baing designed, so at least the more RAM and more storage would fit in the same case and have very limited battery life issues.

Battery life for me is an issue as every other phone I have owned, with 3G on and minimal usage, lasts 3 to 7 days, but the iPhone is lucky to last 2, but more usually 1. Sure I can turn wireless, 3G off and have the screen brightness lower than my bosses IQ, but thats not the point - The wifes 6110 with bluetooth on, 3G reception (and batter 3G coverage than the iPhone at home too!!!) and maybe 30 to 40 incoming or outgoing SMS's a day needs charging every 4 to 5 days. If I turn 3G, bluetooth and Wireless off I can get 2 days if I dont use the phone much at all (maybe 3 SMS's in total and a single 5 min call, no games or music playing).

The one BIG advantage of the iPhone over the 6110 is that in places with no signal, like work, the iPhone loses very little battery during a 12 hr shift. The 6110 chews up batteries when it has no signal, but does find and connect to both GSM and 3G much quicker than the iPhone does. My wife gets 3 bars of 3G at home, I am lucky to get a GSM signal

jack112006
30th November 2008, 11:44 AM
I would love for the iPhone to have a higher screen resolution, as I have tons of movies which are 1280x720 in iTunes which won't sync to my iPhone. Obviously, this means that a larger amount of storage would be nice. 64GB or even 32GB would be really, really nice. I would love the iPhone to go back to the metal back as the plastic isn't just strong enough to look great after 4+ months of abuse. I know that there would still have to be some plastic for the radios, but a little bit of plastic would be better than alot. Wireless sync oven 802.11n would be awesome. 5mp camera with a splendid sensor would be nice. And to put the icing on the cake, stereo speakers that are reasonably loud.

Kuma
30th November 2008, 01:02 PM
Ok please allow me to rephrase the question...

what would make you rush out and upgrade?

feeze
30th November 2008, 01:03 PM
I wish the iPhone would make coffee and double as a harmonica like the Pomegranate NS08;

Pomegranate | NS08 (http://www.pomegranatephone.com/)

If it did that I would rush out and buy one.

But apart from that 802.11n networking would be nice. Better wireless reception would be good too (I get full bars on my Macbook and only 1 bar on my iPhone in the exact same spot).

Oh and a silent switch that wasn't so easy to accidently flick on.

LithgowLights
30th November 2008, 01:41 PM

6 & 7 on my list above, and maybe a bit of 1 & 2 would hasten my speed out the door to get it lol

sighclops
30th November 2008, 02:36 PM
I wish the iPhone would make coffee and double as a harmonica like the Pomegranate NS08;

Pomegranate | NS08 (http://www.pomegranatephone.com/)

If it did that I would rush out and buy one.

But apart from that 802.11n networking would be nice. Better wireless reception would be good too (I get full bars on my Macbook and only 1 bar on my iPhone in the exact same spot).

Oh and a silent switch that wasn't so easy to accidently flick on.

surely that pomegranate is taking the piss? ........ or is it?

LithgowLights
30th November 2008, 04:20 PM
surely that pomegranate is taking the piss? ........ or is it?

What a classic website. It was extremely well done :)

Narooma
30th November 2008, 04:51 PM
If a new one comes out and you still have a year left on your current contract....are you stuffed?

Is there anyway to upgrade?

NeoRicen
30th November 2008, 05:11 PM
If a new one comes out and you still have a year left on your current contract....are you stuffed?

Is there anyway to upgrade?
No one knows, anyone who says they do is lying or misled.

1st Gen customers could upgrade without cancelling contracts in countries that had it, however this time around the iPhone is subsidised.

I predict getting a 3rd gen iPhone will be exactly the same as getting any other phone if you're already on a contract, and be required to pay off the rest of the contract.

Since I thought of this, I chose to be on a 12 month contract, so assuming a 3rd gen iPhone is released around the same time next year, or later, I won't have to worry about cancelling a contract.

Narooma
30th November 2008, 05:34 PM
I went for a 24 month contract.....oh well, my wife and have my current iPhone and I'll get the latest one......if it's got a lot more to offer.

Supreme
30th November 2008, 06:21 PM
The iPhone is perfect for me as is. It think I've taken about 10 pics on it after having it since release date, I don't care about MMS, and couldn't care less about video. That's what iChat is for.

luke_in_tas
30th November 2008, 06:47 PM
Longer lasting battery
900MHz 3G support
Forward facing camera for video and iChat use (I know its a novelty, that I probably wouldn't use)

entropy
30th November 2008, 09:05 PM
To rush out and buy it?
It would have to have a front facing video camera with full ichat support. Otherwise I would not be in a rush.

I know some people will say poo poo, I would never use it, but if you are working past the kids' bedtime, it would be fantastic (of course, wifi and video IM access at work would pretty much solve this problem too, but will never happen in the QPS). My kids ichat with their grandparents in NSW and rellies in the US all the time.

And I would love to have a fast autofocus lens with video and a flash on the back. And more ram and drive space. Oh, +1 for the 900 MHZ support. And voice step by step GPS instructions from tom tom (or is that just software?). But these features would not be enough to make me line up, as the iphone I have is already pretty good.

nard
30th November 2008, 09:16 PM
Exactly so, entropy, video calls are great for kids, especially very young ones who don't yet understand how to use the telephone.

Reubania
30th November 2008, 10:11 PM

That's a better question.

For me, I would rush out to upgrade when:

* Longer battery life
* Slimmer form
* More HDD/RAM

Rant
30th November 2008, 10:28 PM
Given the improvements in the new Touch, only a few months newer than iPhone 3G, we can expect similar refinements and improvements for the next model iPhone. Thinness would be appreciated.

More of everything 'electrical',

More RAM, CPU
how about files & folders and disk mode?
home screens if we must, but let us arrange them in iTunes & sync that
better radios
Support for better quality audio (96kHz/24bit at least)
copy/paste
less compression on the camera, 2MP is fine, but the file size it makes now is as small as a 0.5 MP camera
more control over the camera, especially focus
better maps with turn-by-turn
vastly improved handling of Podcasts (what happened to the alphabetical scroll shortcut??), how about individual sync settings?

less of everything physical.

thinner
lighter
runs cooler
brighter, higher resolution screen (+1 for only one download format), how about OLED?
matte finish on the back = nicer look & texture

ZacDavies
1st December 2008, 01:56 AM
i look forward to the next model becoming as thing as the current ipod touch, now that will be a truly desirable object

id love a flash for the camera, im actually quite happy with it's quality atm - would be fantastic if it could handle night photography (faster shutter)

melbmac
1st December 2008, 09:50 AM
I'd like to see;

Better camera (decent lens at least)
Better Battery life
Return to metal body (this is the one thing stopping me from upgrading toa 3G).

dlmuller
1st December 2008, 10:26 AM
I'd love an external aerial patch socket on the back so I can physically connect the external phone aerial on the car to it rather that the proximity passive pick up thing I have. Coverage still gets patchy 200km from anywhere even on Hellstra.

nortonjg
1st December 2008, 10:36 AM
Light - on the back next to the camera so it can be used as a torch and taking photos
Radio - either built in a compatibility with ipod radio remote
More Memory etc
Better Battery
Bluetooth for file transfers
Record Video from camera

NeoRicen
1st December 2008, 11:41 AM
Return to metal body (this is the one thing stopping me from upgrading toa 3G).
[/LIST]
Probably not gonna happen, causes too many problems with reception.

lenman74
1st December 2008, 12:07 PM
a screen lock button (or swipe/tap combo) for when watching video (so that kids cant stop the video inadvertently)
wimax radio
front facing camera for ichat
lotsa storage GB's