PDA

View Full Version : Airport Card Activation

iMick
10th May 2005, 02:32 PM
Does anyone know if there is a way of initialising the Airport (en1) on startup so it is up before the login window? I need this to happen so users are able to log on to an AD via airport. The airport starts only after a user logs in and at the moment, the only fix I have is to automate a login/logout process every boot!

I am not to certain on how to add a startup item. I know the LAN (en0) is started before login so in theory it should be possible to do the same for the wireless (they are just interfaces!). Something like "sudo ifconfig en1 up" i am thinking.

Cheers

iSlayer
10th May 2005, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by iMick@May 10 2005, 03:32 PM
Something like "sudo ifconfig en1 up" i am thinking.

well that would a be a problem wouldnt it....
how can you run a sudo script during boot time ?

iMick
10th May 2005, 02:38 PM
I know you can't run that script as part of the startup items. It just what I want it to do!!

iSlayer
10th May 2005, 02:40 PM
ive run into this problem before and sorry to say i couldnt find a solution.
bring the interface up might not be enough.it still needs to be forced to join the network

mvjs
10th May 2005, 03:36 PM
I can be done, my workplace does it (logs on to the server via airport at log on)

jbjose
10th May 2005, 03:54 PM
Though not the same problem, perhaps my solution to another problem might help.

We have networked home directories here at work and some filesystems have to be mounted before a user can log in. Sometimes on faster machines, the Login Window pops up before the filesystem has mounted and a user can't login.

To get around this, go to /System/Library/StartupItems/LoginWindow.

Create a backup of StartupParameters.plist. Open StartupParameters.plist. Change

Requires = ("Disks", "SecurityServer");
to

Requires = ("Disks", "SecurityServer", "Network");

Save and reboot.

Now, the LoginWindow will not show up before the Network is loaded.

This does not work in Tiger (as the LoginWindow directory is gone).

If you can't start up as a result of this, ssh into the machine (make sure it's on before doing rebooting after the change) and revert to your backup.

Like I said, this may or may not help you.

Good luck!

iMick
14th May 2005, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by michaelvjsmyth@May 10 2005, 03:36 PM
I can be done, my workplace does it (logs on to the server via airport at log on)
Got any more info about how you guys got it going mate? It would be much appreciated.

mvjs
14th May 2005, 02:50 PM
Nope, I'm not the IT person at my work, although - they use xserve servers you may need that to do it