PDA

View Full Version : Return/repair process for Apple?

MissionMan
28th November 2008, 10:11 PM
I have one of the new Macbook Pro's. I've had it hang 3 times today so I am thinking of taking it back to Apple and ask for a replacement/repair. How long after purchase will they do a replacement over a repair and how long would a repair take?

I purchased a Macbook Pro on the 17th October. Its been great so far, however today I had it hang while I was running skype. I figured maybe it was an issue with the heavier duty graphics card so I switched it to economy mode. About 5 minutes later I got a flickering screen hang where the laptop hung and the screen was flickering/flashing. When I turned it back on it had switched back to high power mode.

Later this evening I again got the flickering screen of death. When I switched it back on, again it had switched back to high power mode. I've done a hardware test and I had no problems on the hardware test which was odd.

Any ideas. Could something like this be software related?

SyncMan
29th November 2008, 04:52 AM
Maybe, but my understanding is that hardware tests don't test every bit of hardware, just the bits that the processor can get to logically** or via sensors. So if it's going wrong, say the backlight may not be included in the hardware tests, not 100% sure.

I suppose the test is does it have a problem with a plain vanilla fresh Mac OS running? (If you can do that.)

**Like a RAM test.

MissionMan
29th November 2008, 08:50 AM
It definitely seems like screen or graphics card. When I started it this morning it happened again. The next time it happens I'll take a video to keep for the Apple guys when I take it in.

NORMANDY
29th November 2008, 09:12 AM
It definitely seems like screen or graphics card. When I started it this morning it happened again. The next time it happens I'll take a video to keep for the Apple guys when I take it in.

I would take it to the Chadstone store and get them to look at it ASAP!

limpboy
29th November 2008, 09:19 AM
I just had my MBP repaired at the Chadstone Apple store. Brought in on Wednesday. Ready to pick up Friday. So that was good. It was a bad screen and they replaced the whole screen/clamshell.

Time to repair will depend if they have the parts in stock. Just get an appointment at the genius bar and have it looked at.

Off-topic: Was in there Friday evening and it was packed! Must be the One-day specials. Or is it always that busy? Kids running around everywhere, people milling around on the computers. It looked like chaos.

MissionMan
29th November 2008, 09:28 AM
Thanks. I'll wait to get a video clip of it to take through. It happens intermittently so I don't want them to be stuck with the laptop for a week when I need it for work.