PDA

View Full Version : Telstra Turbo Connection Manager

davidashe
28th November 2008, 10:10 AM
Hi. I am using a Telstra prepaid wireless (NextG) modem (ZTE MF626) on a new MacBook.
It has been working fine for the past 3 weeks.
However, I have noticed that the software (Telstra Turbo Connection Manager) is writing to the Mac system.log file constantly. My system.log file was 1.24GB in size, and increasing at a rate of about 15MB per hour!

Has anyone else had this problem?

If you are not familiar with the system log, it can be viewed by using Console (in the Utilities folder).

My concern is that if this file continues growing at this rate, it will soon be unmanageable, and may cause system problems.

I would appreciate any information from anyone else running the Mac version of the Telstra software, to know if mine is an isolated problem, and any advice anyone may have on how I can stop Telstra's software clogging up my hard disk.

Many thanks
David.

Exocet
28th November 2008, 10:23 AM
Does the ZTE work as a dialup modem? What does it appear as in network preferences?

davidashe
28th November 2008, 10:30 AM
It is Telstra's NextG prepaid wireless broadband modem that comes it the $149 kit.
It is a USB device (looks like a memory stick), with a NextG sim installed.
The first time you use it, it installs the software (Turbo Connection Manager) which includes 2 network services;
ZTEUSBATPort and ZTEUSBModem. When the device is running only the first of these is active, with the symbol of a modem next to it. However the settings are mostly blank (like the phone number etc), as these are controlled by the Turbo Connection Manager software...

Lumus
28th November 2008, 10:42 AM
Dodgy software perhaps? Maybe they left debugging code in it when they shipped it...?

Exocet
28th November 2008, 10:43 AM
If its reporting to OS X as a dialup modem I'm able to help you setting it up directly through the OS and bypass the software. Are you using 10.4 or 10.5?

davidashe
28th November 2008, 10:47 AM

chrome
28th November 2008, 10:50 AM
Can you paste some of the messages?

Exocet
28th November 2008, 10:55 AM
Open network preferences, select the ZTEUSBModem port form the left hand side and enter *99# as the phone number, and tick the box to Show modem status in menu bar. Click Advanced and configure the first page like the following, noting that on Telstra the APN is telstra.datapack:
http://img.skitch.com/20081128-rkbub1uxyh47fuewibty71baha.preview.jpg (http://skitch.com/exocet/h7ib/picture-2)
Click for full size (http://skitch.com/exocet/h7ib/picture-2) - Uploaded with plasq (http://plasq.com)'s Skitch (http://skitch.com)
Click OK, click Apply.

You can now use the modem status icon in the menu bar to connect and disconnect, completely bypassing the Telstra ZTE software.

davidashe
28th November 2008, 11:17 AM
Thank you so much, it is working fine. One change though, I checked the APN (as set in the Telstra software) and it stated that it was telstra.internet so I have used that. All appears to be working and the system.log is now stable.

For completeness, and in response to chrome, here is a section of my system.log file. It is the entries for 1 second, at 9:22 this morning ;

Nov 28 09:22:06 MacBook Telstra Turbo Connection Manager[320]: state:8
Nov 28 09:22:06 MacBook Telstra Turbo Connection Manager[320]: [_tblInvocations count] = 0
Nov 28 09:22:06 MacBook Telstra Turbo Connection Manager[320]: Dial internet, Restore All User Actions!!!!
Nov 28 09:22:06 MacBook Telstra Turbo Connection Manager[320]: [_tblInvocations count] = 0
Nov 28 09:22:06 MacBook Telstra Turbo Connection Manager[320]: Dial internet, Restore All User Actions!!!!
Nov 28 09:22:06 MacBook Telstra Turbo Connection Manager[320]: [doWithStatusSession:]session = 10020
Nov 28 09:22:06 MacBook Telstra Turbo Connection Manager[320]: [addCSQWithModuleId:]
Nov 28 09:22:06 MacBook Telstra Turbo Connection Manager[320]: addCSQWithModuleId:mQueue count = 0
Nov 28 09:22:06 MacBook Telstra Turbo Connection Manager[320]: [sendHeadCmdToBack:] (A) ZTEDMgr Status Status Cmd is Running

Exocet
28th November 2008, 11:23 AM
Thank you so much, it is working fine. One change though, I checked the APN (as set in the Telstra software) and it stated that it was telstra.internet so I have used that. All appears to be working and the system.log is now stable.

Excellent - Telstra use a number of APNs and its been a long time since I used their services. I think either works fine :)

Glad I could solve your issue.

bigg
28th November 2008, 11:27 AM
thats very weird..

My Telstra 3g USB 626 appears as a Bluetooth device on my Macbook Air..

Ill grab some screen shots tonight..

ahh ignore this Exocet must have a different modem

Exocet
28th November 2008, 11:34 AM
bigg - I'm using a 3 modem so it looks a little different but the premise is the same.

davidashe
29th November 2008, 06:04 PM
Problem persists...

The solution of using the OS network settings to bypass the Telstra software works, however it presents 2 additional problems...

Firstly the Telstra software launches as soon as the USB modem is plugged in. I can quit the application, however more often than not, if I then try to connect using the modem in the menubar, it says that it can't find the device. If I leave the software running then connect using the modem script, it connects happily but then disconnects as soon as I quit the Telstra software.

I can catch it, between loading the software and registering the device, and if I quit at that time I can use the modem script to connect, however it is a bit hit and miss.

However even if I do get it going, it looses the connection after about 40 minutes. I can't find anything that prompts it to drop the connection (all the PPP settings are to not disconnect), however once it has dropped it, the USB device isn't found, and I have to resort to unplugging it, and trying to catch it again so it will connect...

All in all not very satisfactory, so in the meantime I have gone back to using Telstra's software and manually clearing the system.log 3 times a day...

Any suggestions?

D.

vandozza
1st December 2008, 05:07 PM
i purchased this modem today.

the install software adds an item named "Mac_SwapperDemon" to your login items (system prefes --> accounts --> login items)

i believe it's this demon that triggers the auto load of the telstra turbo software

delete the login item "Mac_SwapperDemon" and the Telstra software no longer auto loads.

i have no idea if "Mac_SwapperDemon" actually does anything else, other than auto load the T software... i've only had the modem about 6 hours so it's trial and error for me (and I don't have an option to add an APN in network pref's, so I havn't been able to drop the T software yet.)
edit - found the APN. my modem was set to other/zte usb modem, i set to generic/3g and i have the APN option now.

davidashe
1st December 2008, 05:57 PM
Without the Mac_SwapperDemon, the device is not recognised. It is simply regarded as a memory stick, containing the Telstra software.
If I then manually run the Mac_SwapperDemon it recognises the modem, but if I quit the software (which launches automatically) then the modem script fails at Authentication.

I would appreciate any info you find out as you play around with it. ZTE have acknowledged the problem, and sent me the latest version of their software which, although cleans up some of the screens, doesn't solve the system.log problem.

If you are running the T01 version, you can get what they say is the update, M01 from;

http://www.zte.com.au/downloads/software/MF626_MAC_Connection%20Manager.mpkg.zip

vandozza
1st December 2008, 06:10 PM
david,

i'm not seeing that result with removing "Mac_SwapperDemon".

ie. i've removed macswapperdemon, and configured the device as above (generic/3g/telstra.internet apn, *99# dial number) and it WORKS.

i can connect/disconnect successfully using only the System Pref/network pane, without loading the T software at all.

my usb modem shipped with the M01 firmware/software.

edit - i also have the rogue system.log entries when using the T software.

davidashe
1st December 2008, 06:46 PM
It may be that they have started shipping the device with different firmware, but I doubt it.

I find that if I either logout or shut down... remove the modem, login again and plug it back in, it remains as a drive, and profiler reports;
ZTE CDMA Technologies MSM:

Capacity: 16.7 MB
Removable Media: Yes
Detachable Drive: Yes
BSD Name: disk1
Product ID: 0x2000
Vendor ID: 0x19d2
Version: 0.00
Speed: Up to 480 Mb/sec
Manufacturer: ZTE, Incorporated
Location ID: 0x26200000
Current Available (mA): 500
Current Required (mA): 500
Mac OS 9 Drivers: No
Partition Map Type: Unknown
S.M.A.R.T. status: Not Supported
Volumes:
ZTEMODEM:
Capacity: 14.5 MB
Writable: No
File System: HFS+
BSD Name: disk1s0s2
Mount Point: /Volumes/ZTEMODEM

It then sits there as a removable drive.

If I then run the Mac_SwapperDemon, the drive disappears and the System Profiler changes to;
ZTE CDMA Technologies MSM:

Product ID: 0x0031
Vendor ID: 0x19d2
Version: 0.00
Serial Number: 1234567890ABCDEF
Speed: Up to 480 Mb/sec
Manufacturer: ZTE, Incorporated
Location ID: 0x26200000
Current Available (mA): 500
Current Required (mA): 500

So something in the Mac_SwapperDemon is telling the device to stop being a removable drive.

Vandozza, have you disconnected and reconnected your modem after disabling the Mac_SwapperDemon?

vandozza
1st December 2008, 08:47 PM
yes i had disconnected and reconnected my usb modem... however... what i hadn't done was to restart after removing "mac_swapperdemon"

so yeah, you are completely correct removing MSD makes the usb modem be incorrectly recognised/not seen as a modem.

i think however if you move the T software from /applications to /applications/utilities, then it will stop the autoload of the software.

removing MSD OR moving the T software has certainly stopped the autoload... it looks like it was moving the T sw, and not the MSD removal.

davidashe
2nd December 2008, 05:14 PM
OK
I have tried several things and this is what I get...
1. leave the Mac_SwapperDemon in the logon items...
This tells the dongle to switch from being a removable drive to modem
2. Put the Telstra software in the Utilities folder.
The Telstra software no longer loads automatically.
3. Use the normal Network Modem connection in the Sys Preferences to connect.

This all works fine...
...for about 50 minutes.

Then the line drops.

Actually the USB connection drops. If I try to connect again it says that the modem can't be found, and System Profiler says that there is nothing connected to the USB bus.

This can be remedied by unplugging and reconnecting the MF626. Not ideal.

Something in the Telstra software is keeping the modem alive. (I usually leave it connected all day)

Anyone have any idea what it is? and can it be done some other way?

Beau
18th December 2008, 11:07 PM
Guys there's a fix in the works - the update that should be released very soon will fix the logging issue. :)

www.zte.com.au • Login (http://www.zte.com.au/ztebb2/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=629&view=unread#unread)

Lorna17
20th December 2008, 10:44 AM
I purchased the Telstra prepaid modem yesterday for Mac book pro 2,1 from Telstra Ballina. No one there was familiar with Mac, but for almost 2 hours endevoured to set it up with no success. The device was proved to be working correctly in their PC. Came home and started reading your forums, and was able to manually configure successfully. Only one problem, the device only shows in Network, and that is the only place I am able to close it down and remove. Are there more setting to configure? I am a newby. Many thanks to all.

davidashe
20th December 2008, 10:55 AM
Hi Lorna

In the Network System Preference, there is a check box that says "Show modem status in menu bar".
If you check that box, then you should see an icon of a telephone handset in the menu bar, top right on the screen. (It should be next to your airport icon). You will be able to connect and disconnect from there.

If you would like help getting the Telstra software running, reply to the post, and I'll lead you through it.
D.

Lorna17
20th December 2008, 12:53 PM
Hi Dave

Thank you for your help. From earlier posts I have been able to configure and have it running, just didn't tick the right box. Have done so now and all is fine. The device is working well at home, hope it will in a caravan, will be great to have.

ajbeardy
24th December 2008, 09:38 PM
Update has been released:

ZTE Australia > Downloads > MF626 (http://www.zte.com.au/main/Product_Downloads/MF626_downloads.htm)

Posted in ZTE forums:

I have downloaded and attempted to do an upgrade using Parallels (XP) on my Mac.

For some reason I have lost the ability to access the memory/storage portion of the key. Even if I have a micro SD card installed it still does not load. This occurred before I started the upgrade whilst I was switching between the Mac OS X and Windows...seems like it has become corrupted in this process.

This is the end of the log file from the upgrade...

2008.12.24 21:53:44°™°™NV backup success!
2008.12.24 21:53:44°™°™switch to DownLoad mode...
2008.12.24 21:53:51°™°™Download armprg.bin...
2008.12.24 21:53:59°™°™skip to armprg.bin...
2008.12.24 21:54:3°™°™skip fail!

The key can still access the internet (software still auto loads), however I can not complete the upgrade. I imagine that since it cannot write to the "usb key" it fails.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

davidashe
24th December 2008, 10:49 PM
Not sure that I can be a lot of help with this, except tell you my experience...

I used Boot Camp, running XP (SP2)

followed the instructions on the upgrade and it failed, saying that it couldn't write the data to the device, and then hung saying "waiting". In the end, despite all the warnings not to disconnect the device until in says "success" I had to pull it out.

Plugged it back in, and it launched (windows version of) Turbo Manager. Exited the software and tried again. This time it completed successfully.

It now works on both the Mac and Windows partitions. (both running M02)

However there is still a significant amount of log data going to the System.log and it still drops out (if not using the turbo manager) after about 50 minutes.

Your error report looks like the about the same point that my first attempt failed.

I would try using Boot Camp and see if it'll pick up where it left off...

ajbeardy
25th December 2008, 08:37 AM
Thanks for the info. I see you also posted a reply in the ZTE forums, Thanks.

I just realised that I am at XP SP3 so not sure if that makes a difference. Might try again using XP2 machine but getting cautious that I might brick it.

The loss of access to the memory card has me at a loss, although the Telstra Turbo Manager launches when I plug it in. When I tried it on a new machine it could not load the auto install so something is amiss.

Maybe when I do the firmware update this will return. Although if the data logging problem still persists maybe it is not worth the upgrade just yet.

Merry Christmas...

sighclops
25th December 2008, 10:26 AM
oh sorry i thought the OP was joking when he put the oxymoron "telstra" and "turbo" together in the title

my bad :(

ajbeardy
25th December 2008, 06:10 PM
I would try using Boot Camp and see if it'll pick up where it left off...[/QUOTE]

Finally got it to work. Used a windows box with SP3 which worked fine. Running the new Turbo Manager software M02 I am seeing less clutter in the console log.

stutt
7th January 2009, 05:50 AM
Hi,

I would like to connect my key usb 3G+ and use it as modem with my mac but I don't known how I can do in order to configurate it ?

what do I need for DNS, wins, proxys and ppp ?

Nota : I use a ZTE Key USB MF626 (Téléphone portable ZTE Cle USB MF626 - Téléphone mobile ZTE Cle USB MF626 avec Forfait ou &agrave carte : la Boutique Bouygues Telecom (http://www.laboutique.bouyguestelecom.fr/E1001041-zte-cle-usb-mf626.html#descriptionTel))

Thank you for your answers

Exocet
7th January 2009, 07:38 AM
Have you installed the software which came from your carrier? Generally the settings are preconfigured.

Muzzer
7th January 2009, 07:57 AM
Without the Mac_SwapperDemon, the device is not recognised. It is simply regarded as a memory stick, containing the Telstra software.
If I then manually run the Mac_SwapperDemon it recognises the modem, but if I quit the software (which launches automatically) then the modem script fails at Authentication.

I would appreciate any info you find out as you play around with it. ZTE have acknowledged the problem, and sent me the latest version of their software which, although cleans up some of the screens, doesn't solve the system.log problem.

If you are running the T01 version, you can get what they say is the update, M01 from;

http://www.zte.com.au/downloads/software/MF626_MAC_Connection%20Manager.mpkg.zip

I got the updated firmware for this (version 2.0) and tried to flash the modem with it.
You can only do this on a Windows PC. I followed the installation to the letter but after a while, when it appeared to be updating ok, Windows came up with a message that it'd lost communications with the USB port and the update program hung. After about an hour, I decided I'd have to pull out the modem and restart the upgrade.
That's when I discovered that the update had trashed the modem and it was then worthless.

I took the modem back to Telstra and they said they would have to send it back for testing.
It was only when I got shirty that they replaced it with another one.
I posted this in another forum and others had had the same problem.

sundance
7th January 2009, 06:17 PM
I currently have the MF626 modem with the T03 connection manager. I have downloaded the M02 update from the ZTE website.

In summary, what is this recommended steps to update the software to avoid the logging issue?

thanks

stutt
7th January 2009, 07:33 PM
Have you installed the software which came from your carrier? Generally the settings are preconfigured.

the software was installed automatically when I plugged the key in my mac. But when I start an internet connection, I have 2 possibilities, first one to use my hey as port or as modem. I would like to use it as modem. But it doesn't.

taksan
7th January 2009, 11:00 PM
I've been using the prepaid Telstra modem for a couple of months and especially recently over the holidays from our beach house. In the standard configuration using the supplied software.
No issues whatsoever on my 17" MBP and the system log file is only 56kb with only a single entry from the Telstra modem.
The prepaid NEXT G is expensive however the service and speed is excellent and for a prepaid part time solution its been good for me while I've been away on business or on Holiday.

vid
21st January 2009, 11:54 AM
I had a problem connecting with the Prepaid modem I bought yesterday but it worked fine on my wife's PeeCee, I rang Telstra and was on the phone for 2 hours with no joy, I rang back this morning and finally spoke to someone who knew something about Macs he told me to go to network in System Preferences and voila away it went, why they don't make mention of this in the help file and save customers some grief I don't know!

One of the 10 or so people I spoke to told me they always have trouble and she hate them, I let her know what I think of PeeCees (Pieces Of Crap)

gehenna
22nd January 2009, 07:27 AM
I have the same kind of issue on my chief photographers MacBook Pro (Late 2008) with a Huawei E800 HSDPA expresscard. Drops connection after a few seconds, almost every time. I'v done all sorts of variations of the mac_swapperdemon stopping/starting stuff but still can't get an active connection. So strange since his off-sider has the same setup and no issues!

thanksforyourtime
25th January 2009, 06:21 PM
I had a problem connecting with the Prepaid modem I bought yesterday .....finally spoke to someone who knew something about Macs he told me to go to network in System Preferences and voila away it went...

I have had the same experience (although I have resisted telephoning Telstra...would be too much to bear on a long weekend!). I feel as though I have tried the tips in previous posts. But I still always get the failure at the "authentication" stage and the message from Internet Connect:

"Could not negotiate a connection with the remote PPP server. Please verify your settings and try again."

So I'd love to have the settings that gave vid their voila moment.

Thanks

Exocet
26th January 2009, 08:07 AM
sounds like the APN has been shot. You can set it via the screen command in Terminal with:
AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","telstra.internet"

What the device name is I'm not sure - does anybody have one who can test?

bj75nt
2nd February 2009, 07:17 PM
Apologies in advance for flogging a dead horse. I have recently purchased the MF626 modem with Telstra prepaid and have not been able to get it to work. It installed just fine, the Turbo Connection program opens, the lights on the modem come on, but there doesn't seem to be any connection between them. There are no modems displayed in the Network preferences.

I stuck it in a friends identical macbook and 30sec later he was online... It also works on my macbook via Parallels.

OSX 10.5.6

Any help appreciated. many thanks. bj

DJY
2nd February 2009, 10:12 PM
anyone pulled the SIM out of a Telstra white pre paid USB modem...
and put their iPhone SIM in?

I get better rates using my iPhone data pack than the pre paid charges... and whilst it would be a pain to have to swap SIM's every time on the road - but the data rates are MUCH better!?!?!

Big Z
25th February 2009, 04:22 AM
Davidashe, Exocet, thanks a lot. I've learned a lot from your posts.

I'm using the same USB ZTE Modem, but from a different ISP in the country I'm living (Central America). I also hate the ZTE Application and having Mac_SwapperDemon running all the time...

Using the info from your posts and some other info I gathered from the net, I prepared the following Applescript that I decided to share in case you wanna use it.

Open "Script Editor" (Applications/Utilities/AppleScript), paste this text, change the USB Names accordingly and Save as... (File Format: Application, NO Startup Screen):

-----
# Set the Volume Name as it appears in Finder
set myUSBVolume to "ZTE HSDPA USB Disk"

# Set the Network Service as it appears in System Preferences -> Network
set myUSBModem to "ZTEUSBModem"

tell application "Finder"
if exists disk myUSBVolume then
eject disk myUSBVolume
delay 15
end if
end tell

tell application "System Events"
tell network preferences
tell current location
set aPPPoEService to service myUSBModem
if exists aPPPoEService then
set isConnected to connected of current configuration of aPPPoEService
if isConnected then
disconnect aPPPoEService
else
connect aPPPoEService
end if
end if
end tell
end tell
end tell

----
You can completely kill Mac_SwapperDemon, the script will Eject / Unmount the USB Drive and after that it will stop behaving as "Removable Media" and start behaving as a USB Modem. (I'm not using any Micro SD card in it, so I don't need that functionality)

Note: some times you may see that the MODEM connects through a "Bluetooth" connection. I think this is due to the application from ZTE selects the network service by class (class 10, not sure) and not by name (ZTE USB MODEM).