PDA

View Full Version : How to get rid of unwanted pop up??

w.daly
27th November 2008, 05:15 PM
When I go to to Systems preferences and Network I just get a popup which reads - Your network settings have been changed by another application - and it only has an - OK - option but it just keeps popping up and will not go away. I have to force quit to get out of systems preferences every time. This happened after I tried to download a firmware EXE file from DLINK support. My wireless internet connection is working OK.

Question - How do I get around this popup that won't go away without force quitting out of System's Preferences every time?

Wally
27th November 2008, 05:17 PM
uhh you can't launch EXE files on OSX.

euphospug
27th November 2008, 05:17 PM
WEIRD - this happened to me the other day too...

you have to be quick. with your left hand hit "ENTER" then with the mouse pointer over the "network status" menu - as you hit 'enter' click the mouse and move the menu to "network port configurations"

that'll then stop the pop-up. you've got to be quick though

Huy
27th November 2008, 05:27 PM
uhh you can't launch EXE files on Windows.

Yes you can. :D

I know you meant OS X.

ClockWork
27th November 2008, 05:41 PM
As Euphospug has said, you have to be quick.

Once you're in Network Preferences and that pop-up appears - place your cursor over the Show All button at the top of the System Preferences window - it'll be behind the pop-up.

Here's the fast bit:

Have your finger poised on your mouse. Then hit the return key on your keyboard to make the pop-up's OK button bugger off, and then immediately click the Show All button.

You should then get a window asking you if you want to Save the changes, and now, without Saving anything, you should be able to click once on any item in the System Preferences window, and get into them.

Click on the Show All button again, and click on the Network Preferences once again, and from here, you should be able to Save Changes.

If this doesn't work, as Euphospug states, click on the pop-up's OK button and then very quickly click on the Show All button, up the top of the System Preferences window, and if you get it wrong, just try it a few more times, to switch from one to the other as fast as you can.

Even if you can't change the settings, at least you won't have to do a Force Quit.

Looks like the latest Security Update caused this problem...

Goodluck,

cw

w.daly
27th November 2008, 05:42 PM
Thanks for the replies. Much appreciated. I have just now got off the phone to Apple Support and the solution is very simple. Go to System Preferences - Go to Security - Tick 'Require password to unlock each secure system preference.' Problem of annoying pop-up solved.

Exocet
27th November 2008, 10:03 PM
Another workaround is to go to Sharing and turn on Internet Sharing, then turn it back off.

Exocet
28th November 2008, 04:52 PM
Try reading this thread.