PDA

View Full Version : Banned iPhone ad

asher
27th November 2008, 04:00 PM
Hey there,

Does anyone know if the iPhone ad that was banned in the UK - or anything similar to it - ran in Australia?

thanks in advance,

asher

d_mini
27th November 2008, 04:15 PM
I remember seeing it on Aus TV, but when the iPhone first came out.

Huy
27th November 2008, 04:17 PM
If you are talking about the 'really fast' ad, then yes it has been shown on Australian TV.

It was for the Optus network:
y0Hd2-BfOyY

The actual title is called 'Unslow'.
Apple - iPhone - Gallery - TV Ads (http://www.apple.com/au/iphone/gallery/ads/)

matthew858
27th November 2008, 04:32 PM
No, the ad was the ad that was shown at the launce of the 3G iPhone. The "Twice as fast" ad.

Huy
27th November 2008, 04:34 PM
I don't think the 'twice as fast' ad (with those actual words) was shown in Australia. Why? Because we never had the 1st gen to begin with so it's not twice as fast, or half the price - there was nothing to compare it to, prior to the 3G launch (for Australians).

It is actually the same ad as the 'really fast' ad I showed above. Just replace 'really fast' with 'twice as fast'.

fnJL5YbMs7U

matthew858
27th November 2008, 04:37 PM
Sorry Huy, I thought the ad was banned as it said the new iPhone was twice as fast and half the price.

Huy
27th November 2008, 04:40 PM
Where was it banned though?

I'm primarily interested in Australia since that's where I am. :p

But there have been UK ads that were banned. I think that's what Asher is looking for in this thread, whether there are any of those ads shown in Australia that could be banned as well as a consequence of the UK decision. Unless I am completely wrong.

matthew858
27th November 2008, 04:45 PM
The lawsuit was filed in the UK, after the "Twice as fast, half the price" ad was shown. The UK had the 1st gen. iPhone, so the ad was shown there. One lady didn't like it, so decided to file a lawsuit. As for the ad airing in Australia, it never was, as you correctly pointed out that we never had the 1st gen. iPhone.

rickyd
27th November 2008, 04:46 PM
I want the original Hallway Ad to start airing! :(

But on this ad - the 'really fast' doesn't bother me. You can't actually expect Apple to run a long ad with half of it being a page/screen loading. It's marketing.

matthew858
27th November 2008, 04:48 PM
I want the original Hallway Ad to start airing!!! :'(

If it was, then Apple Australia would also have a lawsuit against them, as our 3G mobile speeds are definitely not twice as fast as our 2G network.

Huy
27th November 2008, 04:49 PM
It will never air for the same reason above.

"It's finally here: the first phone to beat the iPhone. It surfs the web and downloads data twice as fast, for half the price. Introducing the new iPhone 3G."

We aussies are just getting the first taste of the iPhone so therefore we can't use the 'twice as fast, half the price' line. And similarly, 'new iPhone' - we've only got the one release.

scruffie
27th November 2008, 06:05 PM
Hope this is helps...

Apple (UK) Ltd (http://www.asa.org.uk/asa/adjudications/Public/TF_ADJ_45381.htm)

gelfie
27th November 2008, 10:46 PM
This annoyed me about the ads to begin with. But they do only have 30 seconds to work with.

The australian ads now have a disclaimer saying it is a demonstration of a sequence of events.