PDA

View Full Version : Turning off Data

sky
27th November 2008, 12:47 PM
Could anyone tell me how to turn off data so that iphone uses wi-fi only and not data plan?
Thanks heaps

Huy
27th November 2008, 12:47 PM
Tell your carrier to bar the data service. Worked for me/Vodafone.

jasako
27th November 2008, 12:50 PM
I did the same through Tel$tra but it took them four attempts over a week. Be sure to speak with someone who actually knows what they're doing!

LennyX
27th November 2008, 01:01 PM
If your iPhone is jailbroken you can get BossPrefs through Cydia which lets you disable 3G and Edge (which I assume includes GPRS as well)

sky
27th November 2008, 01:37 PM
thanks.... didnt expect the huge bill. seems unfair as i have never asked for data or used it as far as i was aware.... thanks again for the info

NeoRicen
27th November 2008, 03:06 PM
...or used it as far as i was aware.... thanks again for the info
That seems unlikely.

Huy
27th November 2008, 03:20 PM
It does happen, NeoRicen. Strangely enough.

Even with all the push/Mail/Stocks/Maps/etc off, I have seen this behaviour myself and it has transferred some tiny KBs which to me added up to $60 over a week.

After this I had the data service barred.

givememac
27th November 2008, 03:57 PM

Even with all the push/Mail/Stocks/Maps/etc off, I have seen this behaviour myself and it has transferred some tiny KBs which to me added up to $60 over a week.

OMG seriously?! shit I thought I would be ok if I didnt use any mail/safari/apps. Not true?
argh :(

WoWTopia
27th November 2008, 03:59 PM
That seems unlikely.

YouTube - 133,716 Page iPhone Bill (http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=z8r4Gtc6aCM)

Seems Related i suppose

step_andy
27th November 2008, 04:03 PM

This is the reason i didn't buy an iphone for my wife.
She was after calendar and contacts (and a gaming device), so I got her Touch and a stand alone phone for all the telephony.

;)

Huy
27th November 2008, 04:07 PM
OMG seriously?! shit I thought I would be ok if I didnt use any mail/safari/apps. Not true?
argh :(

Well I don't know the specifics behind it, but I did everything I could to disable GPRS/EDGE/3G data being used and it still persisted.

The only way I could get it to stop was to ring up Vodafone and request a data barring. This was applied and I have since not been charged for any data usage (apart from WiFi at home of course).

The reason I cannot afford mobile data usage is because I'm on prepaid and data costs $1 for 5 minutes on Vodafone (regardless of access type or bandwidth used). It is in time intervals, not data allotments.

So be careful and monitor your usage. There is an internal call/data usage tracker on the iPhone.