PDA

View Full Version : iBook Battery Replacement

iMic
26th November 2008, 04:59 PM
Interesting looking around these forums, in amongst the sea of MacBook and MacBook Pro threads there's a few odd PowerPC ones around still.

Well I have a 1.07GHz iBook G4 with 768mb RAM and a 40gb hard disk, soon to have a 120gb hard disk drive. It's running Mac OS X Leopard and considering its age, it still has some really decent processing power for my needs at work and at home. Up against my iMac Core 2, it doesn't feel like it's lacking any real kick.

Truly a beautiful little machine.

However while I was using it this morning, it just died. It went from the standard 2 hours charge to dead zero. The cells appear to be working fine but it's suffered the dreaded Intelligent battery crash. With the battery already kind of old I figured it's just time for a new one. That brings me to my questions.

1. What Australian based retailers would sell batteries for an Apple iBook G4?

2. Has anyone had bad experiences or information on buying one of those eBay batteries shipped out of Hong Kong? (I'm considering all options.)

Cheers. :thumbup:

johr
26th November 2008, 05:13 PM
When mine died a year ago I took it to MyMac and they had them in stock. I don't know how much it was though because it was covered by applecare. Call around, I don't imagine they'd be hard to find.

FBTN
26th November 2008, 06:19 PM
All  laptop battery are $199.00AUD. Most of  Premium Reseller and  store stock them.

supermariobothers
29th November 2008, 08:02 AM
Pretty straightforward idea - and you've probably already thought of it...

But... searching ebay for local parts or ibooks selling as parts.

From experience I've seen approx one a week going for parts. Given that both my G4 iBook batteries still hold 2-3+ hours charge, I'd say there's a fair chance you'd be able to pick up a good second hand one within Australia, and it would cost considerably less than buying new.

Is your 12" or 14"?

One 12" on ebay:

Genuine Apple iBook G4 12" Battery - eBay iBook, Laptops, Apple, Computers. (end time 02-Dec-08 19:55:13 AEDST) (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Genuine-Apple-iBook-G4-12-Battery_W0QQitemZ320321070440QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU _Computers_Apple_Laptops_Notebooks?hash=item320321 070440&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A1%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318)

I've also seen one pop up on gumtree from time to time.