PDA

View Full Version : iPhone won't restore custom firmware!

sammyo91
26th November 2008, 11:26 AM
Hey everyone,

This is a long story so bear with me :)

When the 2.0 firmware came out I installed a custom firmware on the iphone using pwnagetool, then when 2.1 came out I simply upgraded through iTunes, lost the jailbreak but everything was fine. I then found out about the Backgrounder app on Cydia so I used QuickPwn to jailbreak and install cydia on my phone. Then the other night I noticed that 2.2 had surfaced so again I updated directly through iTunes, thats after I removed all the 3rd party apps, just to be sure.. Everything went without a hitch, until last night.

The iphone was nearly out of battery so I plugged it in to iTunes and suddenly the iphone rebooted. I thought it was strange but I let it do its thing, then I realised that the phone was no longer activated! The funny thing was it was still unlocked!

So I then attempted to QuickPwn the iphone to see if that would fix it, to no avail. I then tried to restore the custom firmware onto the iphone, the one i made in pwnagetool, again failure (in both DFU and restore modes). I then tried this process again on an older version of iTunes (I heard that might be the problem), but it failed again, on both iTunes 7.7 and even 7.3. Between each of these I restored back to the factory firmware, because it was advised on numerous websites. The errors that I received varied, but usually was either error 21, 1600, 1601, 1602, etc. I didn't know what to do.

I then tried to restore back to the factory 2.1 firmware, which was successful. I followed this up with trying to restore to a custom 2.1 firmware, failure on iTunes 8, 7.7 and 7.3. QuickPwn also failed on all these tests, saying it was complete when the iPhone hadnt even booted yet.

In desperation I tried to restore to firmware 1.1.1 to see if i could unlock and jailbreak using the old jailbreakme.com hack, thinking either itunes or pwnagetool or quickpwn were to blame. The iPhone failed to restore to 1.1.1 on all iTunes versions mentioned previously, even though it was the factory firmware.

I think thats pretty much all I've tried, any help would be GREATLY appreciated, I would be all to happy to offer a significant reward to anyone that can solve my problems :) please I'm DESPERATE ;)

Thanks,
Sam

twadds
26th November 2008, 11:32 AM
Every time you upgrade a jailbroken phone it uses up disk space about 500mb I am led to believe.

You could just restore 2.1 factory firmware and then try pwnage tool with a customised 2.2.... That should work

or restore 2.2 and then quickpwn

gehenna
26th November 2008, 12:24 PM
I would definitely use PwnageTool 2.2, get it from blog.iphone-dev.org.

i always wait for the full PwnageTool instead of quickpwn...I just feel more comfortable with it...just forget about the quickpwn method - you're bound to run into some problems down the track, ask you've discovered. I've never had any issues with PwnageTool except a corrupt firmware I made, which was promptly fixed by repwning it.

Re-pwn the latest firmware using PwnageTool in advanced mode. Boot your iPhone to restore mode in iTunes, and select the custom firmware. I can't see how you'd have any problems after doing this, and I don't think you need to worry about restoring original apple firmware first. If it asks you if you've pwned the phone before, say yes. if it doesn't really work after that, then do it again but this time say No and restore using DFU mode.

Should be sweet.

sammyo91
26th November 2008, 11:37 PM
Fixed everyone, crisis averted haha

gehenna
28th November 2008, 11:12 AM
never a dull moment in jailbreak-land eh