PDA

View Full Version : Crashing

Mikey
9th May 2005, 11:15 PM
I have a 1ghz 12" PowerBook, running 10.3.9. It crashed tonight! I thought OSX was crash proof, but the display went grey, like a curtain falling, and a message in English, German, French, and maybe another language came up saying something like," Your computer needs rebooting - hold down the power button for 5 seconds....".

A couple of times in the last 2 months when lifting the lid the trackpad (and once with my new bluetooth Macally mouse) was frozen - the computer woke up but the trackpad didn't, although I could see Mail still looking for new mail, so it wasn't a total crash.

Has anyone else had this problem, and is it a hardware issue or is OSX not crashproof after all. This is my first Mac, and I have had no other problems at all in the last 2 years. Does this mean I can no longer sneer at Windows users?

Rayd
9th May 2005, 11:21 PM
this is called a "kernel panic" Mac os x does this when there is a clash with 2 things so it just decides that you have to reboot, your permissions are probably wrong. Repair them using Disk Utility (Applications>Utilities>Disk Utility) select your HD and click repair permissions, if that doesn't work then it is probably a problem with a USB device... try disconnecting each device till you find the culprit...

Mikey
9th May 2005, 11:28 PM
Thanks, iPod_man. Talk about prompt help! I have read about kernal panics but not really understood what they were, just thought, "Thank God I don't have them!"...

So its really another name for crashing. Still, once in 2 years isn't a bad track record. Talking of which, what about the trackpad/mouse deciding not to work? Any ideas anyone?

Should I make a point of rebooting regularly? I tend to never turn my PB off, just close the lid. Would a weekly reboot help?