PDA

View Full Version : iPhone 2.2 Noticably Slower Than 2.1

David Turnedge
24th November 2008, 06:44 PM
Seemingly in every aspect for me... anyone agree or is something going wrong for me?

basseyy
24th November 2008, 06:45 PM
i cant say that, for me 2.2 is fast, stable and allows me to update my apps without any errors

chrsha01
24th November 2008, 06:46 PM
Works fine for me, maybe try a 'restore' to fix the slower functionality.

tonyberinson
24th November 2008, 09:17 PM
same with me - works great.

something2sea
24th November 2008, 09:31 PM
I know it's not an iPhone, but on my 1st Gen iPod Touch 2.2 is MUCH faster than 2.1 was (yeah, it's not a restart, the entire GUI of 2.x seemed much slower than 1.x was, 2.2 seems to take the performace back to what it should have been.

Any other Touch users to clarify?

kantush
24th November 2008, 09:41 PM
works fine for me too..

mestevie
24th November 2008, 10:19 PM
I would have said 2.2 is faster - particularly safari!

wabbit
24th November 2008, 10:20 PM
Sorry, other way round for me.

iMac
24th November 2008, 10:29 PM
no complaints here either :)

David Turnedge
25th November 2008, 08:06 AM
Thanks for all your help - I will restore and see what happens... if your hear nothing else then it's all good for me, too.

Phase
25th November 2008, 08:08 AM
2.2 is significantly snappier in particular apps for me, like Safari.

It still lags like a bitch on high bitrate music however.

Roll on iPhone gen 3 :(

Renoman
25th November 2008, 08:56 AM
Iphone Speed Test Home (http://www.iphonespeedtest.com)

I am getting around another 100 kbps on average now with 2.2 with Safari. Think I prefer the 2.1 address bar arragngement though....

Less lag with SMS and email typing as well I think.

wabbit
25th November 2008, 11:08 AM
I still personally feel it's far to early to tell. Because everyones just restart their phones because of the update. Restarting always makes it feel faster overall. The true test for me will be after 3 or 4 weeks without a restart which is normal for me.

titan44
25th November 2008, 11:11 AM
Much zippier here

remigi
25th November 2008, 11:22 AM
Not really slower for me

BUT

one thing i have noticed is that i will always lose reception now at random points in time, i will have 3 bars or 4 and then all of a sudden it goes to "Searching..." and then 5 seconds later i get reception again... this never happened with 2.1 and seems to be happening all the time in 2.2

Also

Im getting this wierd problem, ive noticed it since upgrading to 2.2.... il turn my phone off in the evening and then when i wake up in the morning its on the home screen saying "locked sim" and waiting for me to "unlock" and enter pin... so basically its turned itself back on

And i know i havent accidently turned it on in my sleep because its happend yesterday and today with uni exams... il turn it off before i start my exam at 9am and then when i grab my bag and walk out at 12 my phone is on and on the home screen again waiting for the pin... wtf?

Also

Roaming now displays as "Roam..." instead of the full "Roaming" as in 2.1 thats really just an asthetics thing but its annoying

foxy
25th November 2008, 11:26 AM
Not really slower for me
Im getting this wierd problem, ive noticed it since upgrading to 2.2.... il turn my phone off in the evening and then when i wake up in the morning its on the home screen saying "locked sim" and waiting for me to "unlock" and enter pin... so basically its turned itself back on

And i know i havent accidently turned it on in my sleep because its happend yesterday and today with uni exams... il turn it off before i start my exam at 9am and then when i grab my bag and walk out at 12 my phone is on and on the home screen again waiting for the pin... wtf?

Do you plug it in when you turn it off at night? Because plugging it into the power when off automatically turns it on, but screen remains locked.

EDIT: I noticed it also happens when you had it in your bag at Uni - sorry :p
Are you just holding the power button and forgetting to slide the slider to turn the phone off?

remigi
25th November 2008, 11:43 AM
Do you plug it in when you turn it off at night? Because plugging it into the power when off automatically turns it on, but screen remains locked.

EDIT: I noticed it also happens when you had it in your bag at Uni - sorry :p
Are you just holding the power button and forgetting to slide the slider to turn the phone off?

Hey, nup dont plug it in at night, usually do that at my pc when on the net at night to charge... then in my bad yea turns on... i hold down the power button, slide the slider and wait for it to actually turn off then put it in my bag.. its really wierd.. didnt happen with 2.1

mitty
25th November 2008, 11:48 AM
2.2 all good here, even Jailbroken and thing of beauty.

drewbles
25th November 2008, 12:17 PM
Interesting. Some of the complaints in here seem to have been in various firmwares for me. I've often in the past (1st gen and 3G iPhone) had the thing randomly say 'enter unlock code' (or in reality the SIM PIN) and it's just been sitting on my desk doing nothing. I've also had it randomly drop out but I attribute that to Optus' 3G network. I never had the drop out and then full signal thing on the 2G, only the 3G.

On 2.2 + jailbreak mine's happy as larry at present. I only upgraded yesterday so wait and see if it's got any problems. So far, so good!

AdrianM
25th November 2008, 12:47 PM
It seems snappier to me, but as another poster said, that could just be because of the restore and update of software.

I have noticed that I'm not experiencing the problem where I call out or receive a call, and the phone connects, but is silent. This was happening gradually more frequently, to 50% of the time before the update (if not more). My concern is, why was the previous issue getting worse over time, and will this happen gradually with 2.2 - does this indicate a memory leak, much the way applications get slower and slower and frequent re-starts are required. I have already had the phone replaced because it was constantly dropping out...

Interestingly, I have had a few obvious drop outs since 2.2, such as standing still in the middle of Melbourne airport calling Westpac autobank, hence I'm guessing that is certainly a network/phone issue. I've also had three drop outs today, the first of which the phone froze indicating it was clearly the phone. The next two times was on a call to a friend with an iPhone (!), so not sure if it was his or mine (take your pick).

I'm sure Optus's crappy network has a lot to do with it. The one thing I'm noticing and appreciating the most is that calls are connecting MUCH quicker when I call out, within seconds, where as previously I found myself checking the phone repeatedly to see if it was dialing before it actually connected.

I hope this fixes the iPhone as despite how much I love my mac, ipod (and iphone initially), the phone has been a complete disaster for me, I would never accept how many failures there have been with this phone from any other company! :eek:

NeoRicen
25th November 2008, 03:05 PM
Seems fine for me, maybe a little faster.

BoxDog
25th November 2008, 06:41 PM
one thing i have noticed is that i will always lose reception now at random points in time, i will have 3 bars or 4 and then all of a sudden it goes to "Searching..." and then 5 seconds later i get reception again... this never happened with 2.1 and seems to be happening all the time in 2.2

Similar problem experienced here, althugh I had it in 2.0x and 2.1. It takes up to 2-3 minutes for it to resume service from "Searching..". Bloody annoying! WIth optus.

ashura
2nd January 2009, 07:00 PM
I have experienced a drop call since running 2.2 FW, but I never had a drop call when I ran 2.0 FW NOT 2.1 FW since they have security problem last time with their firmware, I did not update my FW so; I update my 1st gen iphone straight from 2.0 to 2.2 through iTunes "download and install only"

Is/are there any other way to fix this problem? do I have to do the re-installation again? for my iphone or wait for the upcomming update to fix it? or restore it to 2.0 FW? any comment will be highly appriciated!

Thank you so much
Haris

matthew858
2nd January 2009, 07:05 PM
Due to factors such as the iPhone Baseband, I don't think you can actually downgrade once you are on firmware 2.2 without iTunes throwing up errors every second of the restore.

the_doctor
2nd January 2009, 11:03 PM
I've experienced no problems on 2.2. For me it is much more zippier and stable than it has been on the previous firmwares since 2.0.

gehenna
3rd January 2009, 11:36 AM
I have no probs with 2.2 on 1st gen 8GB.. except the usual - it works great for a few months, but the more bogged down it gets the more unreliable it gets in terms of app crashes (not very often but they do happen), and this other annoyance in that if I try to press a button it seems to think I'm holding the button long enough to bring up the wobblies so I can move icons around.

Like I say, these annoyances only seem to happen as my iphone gets more and more stuff on it, as it gets further and further from the firmware install date :)

WoWTopia
3rd January 2009, 11:41 AM
2.2 is GREAT I love it

ChrisG
3rd January 2009, 06:35 PM
Has anyone noticed that the wifi signal takes longer to boot up after being in Sleep mode, or is that just me?