PDA

View Full Version : iBook Power Adapter...shhhhmoking!

akaMacca
24th November 2008, 03:32 PM
So I just went to charge my iBook and kaboom! The power adapter blew, sparked and started smoking. It was where the power cable (from the wall) goes into the adapter. Subsquently knocking out the rest of the power in the house.

Fortunately I was there when this happened. Since looking up on the Aus store I've read a few comments about sparking, flames etc etc from the portable power adapters.

I was going to look at buying a new one, but now I have seen these comments, I'm wondering if it's a wise choice.

I have an iBook G4 that I purchased from the states. I had a 45W Portable Power Adapter.

1. I was never sure whether this was the correct one. Should it be a 45w or the 65w?

2. I know there's several aftermarket power adapters out there. Are there any that come highly recommend? Or is it just pot luck and pick any one?

Cheers,
Ian

Byrd
24th November 2008, 03:58 PM
iBooks use 45W adapters ... and Powerbooks 65W - either will work, I'd go the 45W once more.

JB

akaMacca
24th November 2008, 04:47 PM
Great,. Thanks Byrd, that's handy to know.

Problem solved. I purchased the original adapter on Ebay from Mac Fix It Australia. Checked the old product descripton and just realised I had a 1 year warranty on it. Dropped them a mail and have just received a response back telling me they will be putting a new one in the post. No questions asked.

Now that's customer service! Shame a lot of other businesses aren't like this.

I guess I'll just make sure I don't leave the house with this adapter plugged in from now on though - with the fear of it happening again.:eek:

Brains
24th November 2008, 04:54 PM
No, you don't want to leave any laptop charging un-attended. I have two very good friends who lost most of their possessions after heading to work and leaving a laptop on charge, only to get a phone call at 2pm from a neighbour to say their house was on fire. The attending fire department forensics dudes managed to pin down the source of the fire to the charging laptop, and said that fires caused by laptops "was not uncommon".

akaMacca
24th November 2008, 04:59 PM
:eek: Guess I had better start unplugging my other one every time I go out then.

SyncMan
24th November 2008, 06:11 PM
Problem solved. I purchased the original adapter on Ebay from Mac Fix It Australia. Checked the old product descripton and just realised I had a 1 year warranty on it. Dropped them a mail and have just received a response back telling me they will be putting a new one in the post. No questions asked.

Now that's customer service! Shame a lot of other businesses aren't like this.

Plus one regards Mac Fix It Australia.