PDA

View Full Version : Handbrake 0.9.3 now available

dopus
24th November 2008, 01:47 PM
Hi all.

Just a quick heads up for those interested, that Handbrake is now up to version 0.9.3. Lots of improvements, the main being it will do video files now, not just DVD's. Apparently the video quality is a lot better, due to the x264 project developments.

Anyhow, it is available for anyone keen.

Enjoy :)

HandBrake (http://handbrake.fr/)

decryption
24th November 2008, 01:48 PM
Ooh, big update that can pick up some slack from the loss of VisualHub.
Thanks for the heads up mate.

gizo
24th November 2008, 02:00 PM
Video Files, as in Video_TS and Audio_TS?

decryption
24th November 2008, 02:04 PM
Video Files, as in Video_TS and Audio_TS?

It's done those for ages.
The new version will take any video file in and spit out a video file of your choosing out.

dopus
24th November 2008, 02:08 PM
Yes Decryption, that's a good point. Now that VisualHub has gone, we really need Handbrake to pickup where it left off, and it looks like it will.

decryption
24th November 2008, 02:10 PM
The x264 optimisations are great - encoding a raw MPEG2 file (ripped it off my PVR) and it's trundling along at 55fps on the 24" iMac.

spuds_imac
24th November 2008, 02:15 PM
Doing an AVI to MP4 on my MacPro trundling along at 237fps:D

twadds
24th November 2008, 02:17 PM
nice!

Bart Smastard
24th November 2008, 02:22 PM
Excellent! Handbrake will now be my one-stop app for video transcoding. Not that the end of further development of Visual Hub was going to stop me from using it... still the best app for getting a heap of video files to play on a non-divx dvd player.

bennyling
24th November 2008, 02:22 PM
Ah, perfect.

Handbrake > Visual Hub.

leon
24th November 2008, 02:37 PM
Did anyone notice this paragraph?

No more internal DVD decryption

Yeah, we know, no one reading this is going "Oh wow, no more DVD decryption--what a great new feature!" but...deal.

HandBrake will dynamically load VLC's copy of libdvdcss if you have it in your Applications folder in Mac OS X, and if you're on Linux, and you want to live on the wild side, you can install libdvdcss on your system and get the same effect.

grfxninja
24th November 2008, 02:46 PM
Picture quality has enhanced dramatically through the use of psychovisual rate distortion and adaptive quantization, and there have been significant speed optimizations.

Anybody want to shed some light on what this means in english please…

decryption
24th November 2008, 02:49 PM
Anybody want to shed some light on what this means in english please…

Means video looks better and it's faster to encode.

grfxninja
24th November 2008, 02:52 PM
Means video looks better and it's faster to encode.

:thumbup:
That's what I thought it meant :o

Phase
24th November 2008, 02:53 PM
It's buggy as hell however.

Crashed 4 times in a row on my Mac Pro, attempting an encode for Apple TV format.

Back to Visual Hub I go.

spuds_imac
24th November 2008, 02:57 PM

Crashed 4 times in a row on my Mac Pro, attempting an encode for Apple TV format.

Back to Visual Hub I go.

I have done 4 AVI to Apple Tv files on my Mac Pro no problems so far.....

grfxninja
24th November 2008, 03:10 PM

Back to Visual Hub I go.

hmmm, it crashed 3 times in a row for me too encoding an avi file to mp4 or m4v (or whatever the hell it uses???) using the ATV setting with a bitrate of 1000 (rather than 2500).

It seemed to be happily cruising along at around 60fps when it was going OK.
Running on a MBP 2.33Ghz with 3Gb RAM & OS X 10.5.5

Balthazar
24th November 2008, 03:38 PM
Can't wait, im in the process of concerting my whole DVD collection to something my Apple TV can play... wish this came out weeks ago!

Samb0
24th November 2008, 03:48 PM
Handbrake = A New Geek's Best Friend

Balthazar
24th November 2008, 05:34 PM
Wow, anyone else noticed a major increase in the time handbrake takes to scan a disk?

Could be a bad DVD but it has increased for me from about 30 secs to about 3 mins

leon
24th November 2008, 05:36 PM
Wow, anyone else noticed a major increase in the time handbrake takes to scan a disk?

Could be a bad DVD but it has increased for me from about 30 secs to about 3 mins

Does it have something to do with what I posted earlier. Handbrake no longer cracks DVD encryption, but rather references VLC if you have it installed to do this.

Balthazar
24th November 2008, 05:45 PM
I have VLC installed...

Balthazar
24th November 2008, 06:25 PM
Handbrake 0.9.3 is now officially removed and rolled back to 0.9.2

Couldn't scan an new DVD at all, kept getting GUI error when trying to scan a new disk

denwol
24th November 2008, 06:50 PM
Still find it much slower than visualhub, but the universal presetting is great from iphone and appletv conversion in one.

denwol
24th November 2008, 06:51 PM
Can't wait, im in the process of concerting my whole DVD collection to something my Apple TV can play... wish this came out weeks ago!

Its been out for a few years now.

Balthazar
24th November 2008, 07:08 PM
Its been out for a few years now.

The update, ive been using handbrake for years

jeremy_warnock
24th November 2008, 09:23 PM

Back to Visual Hub I go.

You got to 4 crashes?? I had 3 in a row before I killed it and went back to visualhub on my mac pro

gumby08
25th November 2008, 06:33 AM
You got to 4 crashes?? I had 3 in a row before I killed it and went back to visualhub on my mac pro

Mine crashed 4 times too, trying to convert avi to AppleTV. I changed the setting to Custom mp4 and it worked beautifully. :)

grfxninja
25th November 2008, 08:49 AM
any other settings different gumby08?

MacTime
25th November 2008, 08:55 AM
Took me nearly 2 hours to convert a 1.5 hour movie (old handbrake normally took as long as the movie length) and at the end I was left with a distorted audio track and pixelated image that didn't render correctly. I have VLC, think I might roll back to the old handbrake.

Japester
25th November 2008, 09:05 AM
This is madness. I have VLC installed. I'm ripping from a VIDEO_TS folder. The movie is 1 hour 30 minutes. With my tweaked iPod settings in 0.9.2, the first pass of the two-pass preset would take about an hour on my MacBook Air. Now it will apparently take 8 hours, 42 minutes! I can't fathom why it is taking so long, given that the update is all about performance.

gumby08
25th November 2008, 05:53 PM
any other settings different gumby08?

The only other change I made was to increase the Constant Quality to 80%. I left it overnight so I don't know how long it actually took to convert.

tempestas
25th November 2008, 07:10 PM
This might sound dumb, but I have it encoding an eyetv recording (in the hope that the result will fit onto one DVD. Guess I'll find out then if Popcorn or DVD remaster can burn it to a disc.

Anyone who knows otherwise help.

The new presets seem to make a lot more sense then the older ones.

jeremy_warnock
28th November 2008, 09:54 AM
has anyone been able to get handbrake 0.9.3 to encode anything?? I have had no luck what so ever and removed it now and reverted back to 0.9.2 at least that version works

gehenna
28th November 2008, 10:01 AM
has anyone been able to get handbrake 0.9.3 to encode anything?? I have had no luck what so ever and removed it now and reverted back to 0.9.2 at least that version works

works fine for me, i've been using it since beta was out, and official version works well.

maybe reinstall yours?

Japester
28th November 2008, 10:06 AM

It does work, but what I can't fathom is why it's taking such an insanely long time compared to 0.9.2. I'm very disappointed in this. I still need to test on my Mini, but as that is only slightly faster than my MacBook Air, I don't expect it to be viable either.

The extremely long encode time makes it hard to gather enough material for comparison to 0.9.2-encoded work to see if it's even worth using.

razza85
28th November 2008, 11:19 PM
HandBrake has been working fine for me really well. I do have one problem though.

I've ripped a couple of DVDs (The Matrix and Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon) to my 5G video iPod with ease, but I'm having difficulty with ripping Cloverfield to my iPod. I get a message in iTunes saying that it cannot be played on my iPod. I think it may be due to the resolution (video dimension) I've encoded the DVD as. I've encoded The Matrix and CTHD @ 640x272 with the "Keep aspect ratio" box ticked whereas with Cloverfield I have the same box ticked but the size is 656x352. I think it may be too big for the iPod to process. I think it's also got to do with the fact that The Matrix and CTHD are filmed in 2.35:1 or widescreen letter box whereas Cloverfield is 1.85:1 anamorphic thus the resolution is larger. I've also ticked the "iPod 5G support" box and the "iPod High-Rez" preset too. I like to point out that I've hooked up my iPod with the official Apple AV cable for iPods to the TV strictly for TV viewing.

My question is this: what is the highest resolution 5G video iPods can process videos? I want to watch these movies at the highest quality the iPod can process. Any help?

Japester
28th November 2008, 11:30 PM
HandBrake has been working fine for me really well. I do have one problem though.

I've ripped a couple of DVDs (The Matrix and Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon) to my 5G video iPod with ease, but I'm having difficulty with ripping Cloverfield to my iPod. I get a message in iTunes saying that it cannot be played on my iPod. I think it may be due to the resolution (video dimension) I've encoded the DVD as. I've encoded The Matrix and CTHD @ 640x272 with the "Keep aspect ratio" box ticked whereas with Cloverfield I have the same box ticked but the size is 656x352. I think it may be too big for the iPod to process. I think it's also got to do with the fact that The Matrix and CTHD are filmed in 2.35:1 or widescreen letter box whereas Cloverfield is 1.85:1 anamorphic thus the resolution is larger. I've also ticked the "iPod 5G support" box and the "iPod High-Rez" preset too. I like to point out that I've hooked up my iPod with the official Apple AV cable for iPods to the TV strictly for TV viewing.

My question is this: what is the highest resolution 5G video iPods can process videos? I want to watch these movies at the highest quality the iPod can process. Any help?

I rip 16:9 video as 720 x 400 pixels for iPod, and 720 x 304 for "cinemascope" wide-screen. Here's the deal: you have a total matrix of 640 x 480 pixels to work with. Thus the total pixel count is 307,200. My standard (the width is the literal width of a DVD image) yields 288,000. 720 x 400 is much better than 640 x 360, which is iTunes' 16:9 standard. If you want to experiment with anamorphic video, I've written a post on the subject (http://tunegardener.com/2008/11/26/anamorphic-video-on-ipod/) which may help.

I find the most important factor is to not muck around with the advanced settings too much. iPod standard is very touchy on this. My resolution is no problem but now and then I get a video that won't sync. All you can do is dumb down the settings and try again.

erahi
28th November 2008, 11:32 PM
Could u convert Real video with the new HandBrake?

Japester
28th November 2008, 11:34 PM
Could u convert Real video with the new HandBrake?

Real is evil and must be ignored as unworthy. However, if you've got a curious bent, give it try. Handbrake can apparently handle a lot more formats now. I'm not happy with the time it's taking to rip, so I'm not currently using it and can't test this.

erahi
29th November 2008, 12:06 AM
Lol i know i hate Real media too, thats why i want to convert them so i can get rid of the Real player thats cluttering my applications folder. I'm in the middle of a long rip - i have a G5 imac so its gonna take forever before i can test a Real movie.

NeoRicen
29th November 2008, 07:07 PM
Guh, awful, it's fine for ripping DVDs, but I tried to convert 3 videos for iPod, just clicked the iPod preset and set the bitrate to 1000 just to be safe (down from 1500, and it was a cartoon so quality was less important) and the bloody videos won't even go on my iPod. Obviously the presets are much much worse than VisualHub's and still requires tinkering, but it shouldn't.

Lucky I have a VisualHub license.

spuds_imac
29th November 2008, 07:22 PM
You have to change the setting in the preferences under General/use iPod/itunes friendly (.m4v) file extensions for MP4:D

NeoRicen
29th November 2008, 08:59 PM
You have to change the setting in the preferences under General/use iPod/itunes friendly (.m4v) file extensions for MP4:D
The extension was already M4V. Or are you saying it shouldn't be M4V?

flyboyoz
30th November 2008, 02:17 PM
ok i have a weird one. I am trying to convert a music dvd to mp4. It scans ok and shows 13 chapters however in the title part shows 1 with only 30sec total. I started that and it rips beautifully but as guessed it is only the opening title. Why wont it rip the whole dvd??
It is all vob fies.... IE VTS_VOB_01 etc etc
anyone have any ideas or suggestions.

ZacDavies
1st December 2008, 02:18 AM
Dosen't convert swf

PSYC0TIC ONE
7th December 2008, 02:49 AM
Can someone post a mirror to this download? my network blocks the Handbrake official website and it has been the only one I could find the actual download for this update.

I've tried macupdate, and versiontracker as well and both link directly to handbrake.fr

thank you in advance!

cgollner
7th December 2008, 08:59 AM
Works well. Been encoding on an 8 core IBM xSeries server. Although I think the Apple Universal preset is too low in quality. I use this then change from 59% constant quality to 1200kps and I have files that look good and play well on iPhone, Mac and TV. A typical TV show (42 mins) is about 420meg and an 90min movie is just on 1 gig in size.

Mac Ram
7th December 2008, 10:00 AM
ok i have a weird one. I am trying to convert a music dvd to mp4. It scans ok and shows 13 chapters however in the title part shows 1 with only 30sec total. I started that and it rips beautifully but as guessed it is only the opening title. Why wont it rip the whole dvd??
It is all vob fies.... IE VTS_VOB_01 etc etc
anyone have any ideas or suggestions.

In the dropbox where it's choosing the section of 30sec, look for the longest one - is there one that's an hour or so? Where the duration looks like it's all the others added together?

If not you're stuck with encoding each clip one-by-one...which for music video's is usually the way to go.

flyboyoz
7th December 2008, 11:20 AM
In the dropbox where it's choosing the section of 30sec, look for the longest one - is there one that's an hour or so? Where the duration looks like it's all the others added together?

If not you're stuck with encoding each clip one-by-one...which for music video's is usually the way to go.

In the drop down box there is only one title there. And its the 30sec one. In the the chapters section there is 13 chapters but it doesn't matter which chapter i tick it still just does the title part.
The dvd itself is about hour or so long.

The disc itself it a video and audio. I am quite stumped at this one. Don't know why the the main title wont show. Should I rip it through another program or something?

Aladdin
7th December 2008, 09:15 PM
You're sure this is not copy protection at work?

Also, have you tried ripping with MTR first?

Piratbyran
7th December 2008, 09:22 PM
Can someone post a mirror to this download? my network blocks the Handbrake official website and it has been the only one I could find the actual download for this update.

I've tried macupdate, and versiontracker as well and both link directly to handbrake.fr

thank you in advance!

Here you go. Unzip and you are ready to go.

http://h4xr.org/hl4p

Or failing that, handbrake.fr.nyud.net

flyboyoz
10th December 2008, 04:44 AM
You're sure this is not copy protection at work?

Also, have you tried ripping with MTR first?

yes i have ripped numerous time with MTR and saved onto HA but all still gives me just one title of 30 sec i that box.

EdgeOfQuarrel
12th December 2008, 07:04 PM
Right now I'm adding Scarface to itunes from the DVD and it's ETA is a bit less than 2 hours.
Movie is 2hrs 30mins long

*Insert DVD
*Select it as source
*mp4 format
*H.264 codec
*target size 700mb
*2 pass encoding,turbo first pass

This is the first time I've ever encoded a movie from dvd to itunes so is this speed/time par for the course or am I doing something wrong or maybe have some wrong settings?

Using a 2.1ghz C2D white macbook 4gb ram.

bartron
12th December 2008, 08:25 PM
Right now I'm adding Scarface to itunes from the DVD and it's ETA is a bit less than 2 hours.
Movie is 2hrs 30mins long

*Insert DVD
*Select it as source
*mp4 format
*H.264 codec
*target size 700mb
*2 pass encoding,turbo first pass

This is the first time I've ever encoded a movie from dvd to itunes so is this speed/time par for the course or am I doing something wrong or maybe have some wrong settings?

Using a 2.1ghz C2D white macbook 4gb ram.

sounds about right. on a core2 2.8 iMac I get about 1:1 (so a 2 hour movie takes 2 hours).

only a rough rule of thumb...I usually set up 4-5 movies in a batch and run it overnight

EdgeOfQuarrel
13th December 2008, 07:27 PM
ok thanks.

I used to que up a few when i'd use mpeg streamclip to convert but im not getting up every 2 hours during the night to put in a new dvd.

PSYC0TIC ONE
16th December 2008, 05:04 AM
Here you go. Unzip and you are ready to go.

http://h4xr.org/hl4p

Or failing that, handbrake.fr.nyud.net

Thank you sir!!

Perfect!!!