PDA

View Full Version : iPhone update soon?

Cassy
24th November 2008, 09:38 AM
I'm seriously considering getting an iphone before Christmas but Macrumors' buying guide suggests not buying an iphone now as there might be an update soon.

Do you think its worth waiting or is it still far enough away (in Aus at least) to justify getting one now?

Thanks in advance

(I did a search on this topic but nothing recent came up, apologizes if this has already been covered though!)

Phase
24th November 2008, 09:44 AM
A lot of people are expecting a bump to a 32Gb model for Mac World, and then the 3rd Generation iPhone in July, mirroring the last release pattern.

adamd
24th November 2008, 10:17 AM
Noooooooo.... Cant be an update now, I'm that close to getting it... Around next Monday I will be calling people with my iPhone..

mallo
24th November 2008, 10:23 AM
A lot of people are expecting a bump to a 32Gb model for Mac World, and then the 3rd Generation iPhone in July, mirroring the last release pattern.

Yep, thats what I would expect. Macworld there will be a 32GB model released, exactly the same as the current, but just larger storage.

If 16gb is enough for you, than go for it now.

In saying that, with the release of the 32, I would expect there to be at least some form of price drop on the 16, not sure how big but there would need to be something. This may also force some price drop follow through to the ipod touches. Thoughts people?

So dont expect anything other than a larger storage capacity until July.

FYI, my iTunes library is 50gb+, I have a playlist that I drop everything into I want on my iPhone, and keep that below the 16gb, I just rotate music in and out of it depending on what I want to be listening to at the time, when i get new music i drop in in there ect...

I have an 80GB 5th gen classic that I sync my entire library, that sits in my car most of the time wired into my stereo.

vietnow
24th November 2008, 10:25 AM
its apple, they upgrade their ipod/now iphone range so frequently its like changing socks these days. we're expecting a firmware update soon, as far as a refresh i'd say macworld and fully agree with phase.

apple are, for the most part, pretty predictable in terms of refreshes and upgrades.

Cassy
24th November 2008, 10:34 AM
Well I am planning on getting an 8gb model on a 12 month contract so at least it will only be a year before I can upgrade again.
Thanks everyone!

retroneo
24th November 2008, 12:38 PM
They didn't announce the 16GB iPhone at Macworld, it was announced on the 5th of February.

Apple Adds New iPhone & iPod touch Models (http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2008/02/05iphoneipodtouch.html)

kantush
24th November 2008, 09:51 PM
the next upgrade may only be in disk space, so if you're thinking of getting 8gb then you should get it now..

Peter Mount
24th November 2008, 10:14 PM
Well I am planning on getting an 8gb model on a 12 month contract so at least it will only be a year before I can upgrade again.
Thanks everyone!

That's what I did. I got an 8 gig iPhone 3G on a 12 month contract with Optus.

richbowen
24th November 2008, 10:33 PM
Take care re the AUD:USD ... like the MacBooks ... there might be bigger capacity, but I'd expect an exchange rate "correction" to mean that AUD prices won't change much.

I'm also half expecting the telcos to bump up prices. Optus have already stated that their iPhone subsidy is having a significant negative impact on their bottom line. If you go into Telstra shop or their website you wouldn't even know that they sell the iPhone.

decryption
24th November 2008, 10:39 PM
Take care re the AUD:USD ... like the MacBooks ... there might be bigger capacity, but I'd expect an exchange rate "correction" to mean that AUD prices won't change much.

I'm also half expecting the telcos to bump up prices. Optus have already stated that their iPhone subsidy is having a significant negative impact on their bottom line. If you go into Telstra shop or their website you wouldn't even know that they sell the iPhone.

I thought Optus just weren't making as much money as they could have compared to if the iPhones were other phones? i.e: still making a profit, just not an as big profit as they'd like

richbowen
25th November 2008, 08:13 AM
I guess it depends on how you interpret "$44m hit to earnings (http://www.smh.com.au/news/technology/biztech/iphone-to-put-dent-in-optus-earnings/2008/11/05/1225560888287.html)". Either way I won't be surprised to see them to reset prices at some stage.

Cassy
25th November 2008, 08:19 AM
I think an iPhone purchase has been fully justified now :D