PDA

View Full Version : Apple Dvd Burner....

cosmichobo
9th May 2005, 04:40 PM
Howdy,

I purchased my eMac last year with a main objective of burning videos onto DVD.

Soon thereafter Dual Layer DVD burners hit the market at "realistic" prices...

Does Apple's superdrive now do dual layer?

How much to swap one for my old one...?

Cheers

Travis

macmate
9th May 2005, 04:45 PM
apple doesn't but you could purchase one from anywhere and get someone to install it for you. if you machine is under warranty you should get an apple tech to do it but if not you might like to try it yourself. just be careful.

The idea is to use a brand that apple has used in a model of their other computers because then they will be supported in all the iApps.

Phillip
9th May 2005, 04:47 PM
If you are using iDVD, it doesn't support Dual Layer DVDs just yet. You can fit just about 2 hours of footage with iDVD's compression on a 4.7 GB Disk.

If you are just burning video on a DVD, a dual Layer burner is cheap these days (around $100) and if you dare, you can install it yourself. It will void your warranty however. If your warranty has expired, you might as well do it yourself, because if you get it from an Apple Center, it will set you back a few hundred dollars (if they even do drive upgrades).

d_mini
9th May 2005, 04:48 PM
I've got a dual layer burner which works well but have only burnt one dual layer disc as they set you back about $10.00 each. You can get single layer DVD discs for as little as 50c each. I'd hold onto your drive for a little while longer.

D.

mvjs
9th May 2005, 04:53 PM
Get an exturnal Sony one, I think their Mac :) compadible

stooge
9th May 2005, 05:09 PM
You should be able to get away with almost any DVD-R drive put into an external case.
I have an LG elcheapo DVDR in an external case that is plugged into my emac via firewire.
Alternatively check out the drive list on xlr8yourmac.com there is a good list of drives that
do and don't work.

It might cost you about $200 dollars to do it this way drive+ external case, I am not sure how much an apple reseller would rob you to change the drives. I went with this option as it allowed me to get more mac for my money.

OziMac
9th May 2005, 05:17 PM
Perhaps you can get away with any DVD burner. But to be on the safe side, I stick with Pioneer, as Apple uses them and they are pretty cheap anyway.

If you want 16x DVD burning, you can buy a Pioneer 109 and an external USB 2.0 or Firewire external enclosure for a very reasonable price. There's one available on this trading forum thread (http://forums.appletalk.com.au/index.php?showtopic=6690). :)