PDA

View Full Version : iTunes Artwork query

cosmichobo
21st November 2008, 10:06 PM
G'day,

So, I've recently been trying to fill out all my album cover artworks in iTunes... mostly so when I listen to songs on my iPods, I'll have uniformity - all pics.

What am I doing wrong though?? I sort the music by album, and then use a widget I found to get the artwork... but - the picture is only embedding itself into the first track of the album... so if you are on the iPod, only that first song has the artwork.

Is that "normal"??

I can "see" a way around - just copy the artwork image from the first file to all the others of the album... but - is that then going to use up heaps of space, duplicating the file??? (They imbed into the mp3, yes?) Surely iTunes/the iPod is smart enough to be able to reference the 1 image multiple times?!

When I click on a song within the album - it still recognises that it belongs to that album - and shows the main artwork in flip-view-thingy... but on the bottom left corner, where it has the smaller image - it's blank...

Do I indeed have to copy/paste the art for ALL of the songs? Or is there another way?

cheers

battye
21st November 2008, 10:17 PM
The whole album artwork thing in iTunes is useless. It is all based on album names, I've found that if you don't have an album name for a particular song, then the album art it displays is from another song by that artist which also doesn't have artwork (the oldest song in terms of date added).

Confusing? I know. Apple should fix it :(

MrJesseRoss
21st November 2008, 10:17 PM
I select all the songs, then add the artwork in the batch editing screen. I always thought that was the easiest way of doing it.

http://img505.imageshack.us/img505/5717/multipleiteminformationcm9.png

(You can double-click the artwork box to choose what image you want, or just drag+drop into it.

cosmichobo
21st November 2008, 10:21 PM
Yeah - it seems to not be the smartest relational database in the world...

I got real pisssed with it trying to get it to recognise that a group of songs, all with the exact same typed name in the Album field, did indeed belong together... It was treating them all as individuals. Had to check the compilation button on them all... though who knows what else that was "telling" iTunes to do...

goon - still just worried how much space this little exercise will now eat up on my hard drive... if every file is now going to have the image imbedded... seems crazy...

MrJesseRoss
21st November 2008, 10:27 PM
I just deleted the artwork from one track. With the artwork, it's 4.3mb. Without, it's 4mb.

Depends how large the artwork is. I discovered that the hard way when I scanned a bunch of artwork in and put it straight into iTunes. Turned out the images were 9mb each. iTunes didn't like that at all.

bljpoad
21st November 2008, 10:28 PM
What is the album artwork widget cosmic? The one I use is from here Album Art Widget for Dashboard | liquidx (http://www.liquidx.net/albumartwidget/) and it does a decent job. I get three options, add artwork to current song, add artwork to entire album, or cancel.
- Berwyck

EDIT: on the size front, I have an iTunes library of 52GB and the Album Artwork folder in my library folder is 700MB
EDIT 2: and I have artwork on about 80-90% of my songs

cosmichobo
21st November 2008, 10:40 PM
The widget is Amazon Artwork. It basically only adds art to the current viewed/playing song in iTunes, from what I can tell.

Mm... my art folder is 16Mb right now... Might play around with adding art to entire albums and see how it changes.

I'm just flabberghasted that Apple wouldn't have worked out a referencing ability...

landog
22nd November 2008, 05:53 AM
i bit the bullet and bought coverscout, ive never looked back since